The Daily News
November 1, 1956
Spaniard's Bay, Oct. 29 -
Sheppard & Lynch - Wedding
At the Church of the Holy Redeemer, Spaniard's Bay, at 3 o'clock on Saturday afternoon, October 27, the marriage of Jean Eileen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Absalom Sheppard of Spaniard's Bay to Selby Edward Lynch, son of Mrs. Winnie and the late George Lynch of Upper Island Cove, was solemnized by the rector, Rev. Canon T. E. Loder. Appropriate wedding music was played by the church organist.
The bride, who was given in marriage by her brother, Nath, looked very lovely in a floor-length gown of lace and nylon net over satin with long pointed sleeves and full-length skirt trimmed with ruffles. Her elbow-length veil was held in place by a wreath of flowers and she carried a bouquet of autumn flowers.
The maid of honour was Miss Mary Seymour who was attired in a lemon brocaded satin. The bride's other attendants were her sister, Mrs. Florence Smith, and her sister-in-law, Mrs. Emily Lynch, who wore gowns of blue and white respectively. The two little flower girls, Louise and Annie Lynch, nieces of the groom were identically gowned in white satin.
The groom was supported by the bride's brother, Mr. Absalom Sheppard as best man, and also by Mr. William Sheppard and Mr. Kenneth Lynch.
Following the ceremony at the church the bridal party and guests motored to the Bayview Restaurant where light refreshments were had and from there proceeded to the Parish Hall at Upper Island Cove where an excellent supper was served, and the traditional toasts were honoured. The toast to the bride was proposed by Mr. E. H. Vokey. After supper the balance of the evening was spent in dancing and other merriments.
Mr. and Mrs. Lynch have now taken up residence at Upper Island Cove. We wish them "Bon Voyage."
The Daily News
November 8, 1956
Spaniard's Bay, November 5 -
Mr. Leander Drover passed away at his residence here on Saturday, November 3. He was eight-four.
In his earlier days he, like most of his contemporaries, prosecuted the Labrador cod fishery; but for a number of years prior to his demise he had been in failing health and stayed close to his own fireside. His passing was not unexpected.
Surviving him are two sons, Arch and John S. of Spaniard's Bay; three daughters, Ethel (Mrs. Walter Coombs of Upper Island Cove); Elizabeth, (Mrs. John Smith of Bishop's Cove) and Lenora, (Mrs. Leander Mercer of Upper Island Cove; two brothers James of Corner brook and Herbert of Spaniard's Bay; one sister, Mrs. George Brace of Chance Cove; and a large number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
His funeral was held on Monday and was attended by a guard of honour from the L.O.A. The service at the parish church and at the graveside were read by the rector, Rev. Canon T. E. Loder. We offer our sympathy to those who mourn.
The Daily News
November 9, 1956
Anne Jane Hutchings - Passed peacefully away at 2 a.m. November 8th, Anne Jane, widow of Eben Hutchings, aged 73 years. Survived by one daughter, Maude (Mrs. Harold Noftall) at home; two sisters, Mrs. Leroy Perrin and Mrs. Selby Hutchings, both of Boston, Mass., and two grandchildren. The Funeral will take place Saturday at 2:30 p.m. from her late residence, 32 Craigmiller Avenue by motor hearse to the Anglican Cemetery, Forest Road.
The Daily News
November 13, 1956
The Venerable Heber Gosse, Archdeacon Emeritus, died suddenly at Deer Lake, on Saturday, at 10:30 a.m.
Archdeacon Gosse was born at Spaniard's Bay on January 18th, 1890. He was educated at the Church School at Spaniard's Bay and at Bishop Field College. Before entering Queen's College he taught school in the Parishes of Burin and Upper Island Cove.
At the completion of his course in theology at Queen's College, he was made deacon at Halifax in 1917 and ordained priest at Portugal Cove on October 27, 1918.
Following his ordination as deacon he was appointed deacon-in-charge of Change Islands, which then included Gander Bay, and the following year became rector and here he remained until 1921; and his leaving was generally regretted, for his faithful work won the respect and affection of the whole parish.
In 1931 he followed the Reverend Canon Augustus G. Bayley at Bonavista, and during the years of depression, he sought a solution to the financial problems of this parish, which resulted mainly from the erection of the large, and beautiful parish church.
In 1936 he was appointed to the parish of Foxtrap, and his pastoral zeal, especially his concern for the children and young people, is still remembered and appreciated.
His appointment as Archdeacon of Avalon and Secretary-Treasurer of the Diocesan Synod and Commissary to the Bishop brought him in close touch with the administration of the diocese and also with the various Boards of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, for in 1947 the decision to join the General Synod was made and went into effect the flowing year, but he never felt at home or happy as an administrator and longed to return to parish work, which he welcomed when the parish of Deer Lake was offered him by the Bishop in January, 1955.
Archdeacon Gosse is survived by his wife, the former Elizabeth Earle; his son, Capt. Frank Gosse, R.A., and his daughter, Margaret (Mrs. Sayers) now residing in Parish France where her husband is an officer with the RCAF.
The Archdeacon is to be buried today at Deer Lake. The Bishop is being represented at the burial by the Venerable W. G. Legge. Archdeacon Norman, and several of the clergy from the Deanery of Bay St. George and the Deanery of Notre Dame are also present.
May he rest in peace and light perpetual shine upon him.
The Daily News
November 16, 1956
Spaniard's Bay, Nov. 12-
Holy Redeemer Anglican Church, Spaniard's Bay, was the scene of a very pretty wedding on Monday, November 12, at 8 p.m., when the Rev. Canon T. E. Loder united in marriage Phyllis Bernice, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Noseworthy, and Mr. George Calvin LeDrew of Cupids.
As the wedding party proceeded up the aisle the hymn "We Lift Our Hearts, O Father" was sung by the congregation. The bride, given in marriage by her father, looked lovely in a floor length gown of white lace and tulle with lace bolero. Her elbow-length veil of nylon tulle was held in place by a coronet trimmed with sequins. Her bouquet consisted of red roses and fern.
The maid of honour was Miss Minnie Noseworthy, sister of the bride who was attired in a gown of blue respectively. Miss Louise Hazeltime and Miss Lillian Greeley as bridesmaids were dressed in pink and ice blue nylon net with matching bolero. They wore short veils attached to coronets and carried bouquets similar to the bride's. Little Daphne Noseworthy, the bride's sister, was a delightful flower girl and she was dressed in white satin.
The groom was supported by his brother Lorne, Calvin Perchard, and Victor Noseworthy, brother of the bride. Ushers were Messrs. Sam Richards and William Saunders.
After the ceremony the wedding party and guests motored to Brigus, and after stopping at the Bay View Restaurant for a short period returned to the West End School where the reception was held, and the wedding supper served to about two hundered guests. The toast to the bride and groom was proposed by Rev. Canon T. E. Loder, and the good wishes of the guests from Cupids were expressed by Mr. Isaac Dawe. Mr. William Saunders was master of ceremonies.
The Daily News
November 30, 1956
Dwyer - Churchill - Wedding Bells
One of the prettiest weddings of the season was solemnized at Holy Redeemer Anglican Church, Spaniard's Bay, on Wednesday, November 21st, at 8 p.m., when the Rector, Rev. Canon T. E. Loder, united in Holy Matrimony, Elizabeth Annie May Dwyer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Dwyer of Spaniard's Bay, and William Frederick Churchill, son of Mr. William and the late Mrs. Churchill of Bay Roberts.
The bride looked radiantly beautiful as she entered the church on the arm of her father, who gave her in marriage, during the singing of the hymn "We Lift Our Hearts O Father", gowned in a floor length dress of white nylon net over satin, with tight fitting bodice and bellowing skirt with lace inserts; her finger tip veil was held in place by a white head band and she carried a bouquet of carnations and fern.
The bride's attendants were Miss Isobell Churchill, sister of the groom, wearing blue net over lace and matching satin bolero, and Miss Gertrude Pike, the bride's sister, wearing a similar dress of lime. Both wore matching headdresses and carried bouquets of multicoloured mums. The two little flower girls, Lois Pye and Joan Pike, were attractively dressed in pink and lemon nylon, and both carried baskets of multicoloured mums.
The duties of best man were carried out by Mr. Frederick Churchill, assisted by his brother, Ronald, both cousins of the groom. Ushering was ably done by Mr. Robert Hardy, life-long friend of the groom, and Mr. Eric Pye, cousin of the bride.
Following the ceremony a motorcade of some 31 cars motored to Harbour Grace, thence to St. Matthew's Hall, Bay Roberts, where the reception was held, and over one hundred guests partook of a delicious supper. The bride's mother assisted in the receiving line and wore a street length dress of navy blue with matching accessories. Catering was ably carried out by relatives and friends of both the bride and groom.
Following supper, Mr. Vokey, who was MC, called upon Canon Loder and Rev. Isaac Butler to address the gathering. Both gentlemen delighted the guests with humourous stories and extended to the bride and groom very best wishes for their future happiness. Dr. W. H. Drover also extended best wishes in a short address.
Organist for the ceremony was Mr. Vokey, church organist at Spaniard's Bay.
The beautiful three-tier wedding cake, which adorned the bride's table, was a product of Mammy's Ltd.
The many and beautiful gifts received showed the high esteem in which the happy couple is held.