Share/Save/Bookmark

Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Daily News Obituaries
August 1928

 

Dillon
This morning at 7 a.m., of enteritis, John Patrick, darling child of Patrick and Bride Dillon, age 7 months.-R.I.P.
The Daily News - Dated August 31st, 1928.

Miller, John
Fortified by the last rites of Holy Church there passed away at Placentia on July 28th, one of its most esteemed residents in the person of John Miller. The deceased has reached his 64th year and was suffering for some time. As a young man, he emigrated to America in search of employment. There by his industry and thrift he succeeded in acquiring sufficient capital to enable him to return to his hometown and start in business. In the course of 21 years his general retail store became one of the most flourishing of its kind in Placentia, due to his hard work and perseverance. About a year ago he was stricken with a serious malady but a naturally robust constitution gave rise to hopes for his eventual recovery. In order to give himself every possible chance he retired from business activities. Soon, realizing that he was fighting a losing battle and seeing the end drawing nearer every day he prepared to meet his God with the true resignation of a Christian soul. Gradually his emaciated frame became weaker and when the end arrived, it was welcomed, the disposition of the departing soul making one easily understand the greeting of the grand Fr. Francis Assisi---"Welcome sister death"-- .
He was a man of broad views and was highly respected in the potent place where his example was potent for good and where he will be sorely missed. He leaves to mourn a wife and one brother, Andrew, who resides at Boston. To these we tender our heartfelt sympathies.
Halifax and Boston papers please copy.
Placentia, August 10th, 1928
The Daily News, St. John's, Newfoundland-Dated August 14th, 1928.

Parsons, Rev. William M.
Rev. William Parsons
, son of Mrs. M. Parsons of 8 Shanley Street, Toronto, passed away at Fort San, Saskatchewan, on August 3rd, following an illness of several months. Born in Newfoundland, Mr. Parsons entered the ministry in Newfoundland in 1918 and as a probationer, served in Flower's Cove, La Scie, St. George's and Epworth circuits, and was ordained by the Newfoundland Conference in 1924. He came to Toronto in 1924 and graduated from Victoria College in Theology in 1927, during the summers of 1925 and 1926, he served in the Saskatchewan Conference of the United Church. He was married in April, 1927, to Miss Edith Duncliffe of Toronto, and shortly after took up his work in Waldon, Sask., where he served until shortly before his death.
Mr. Parsons is survived by his widow, his infant daughter, his mother and two brothers, Fred and Gordon, residing in Toronto; and by one sister, Mrs. George Noel, in Newfoundland.
The funeral service will be held in Westmoreland United Church on Tuesday, August 7th, at three o'clock, when Rev. E. Harold Toye, the pastor, is to officiate. Interment will be made in Prospect Cemetery.
Toronto Mail and Empire.
The Daily News, St. John's, Newfoundland - Dated August 14th, 1928.

Smallwood, David
On Sunday, at the great age of 89 years. David Smallwood of this city passed into eternity. He was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, May 12th, 1839, and came to Newfoundland in 1860, at the age of 21, arriving here in time to witness the landing of the Prince of Wales, afterwards King Edward V11 of happy memory. Mr. Smallwood started business in St. John's, as a builder and contractor, later entering into the general trade of the country, doing business for several years at Greenspond and other places in Bonavista Bay. He erected the first sawmill at Gambo. In 1876 her returned to the city, where he entered the boot and shoe business, establishing the firm of D. Smallwood at 312 Water Street, having associated with him his sons, Frederick and Alexander. In 1891 the business was succeeded by F. Smallwood, under whose son it has been continued and extended into the large and continually growing business of today. Mr. Smallwood was one of the charter members of the Orange Lodge in Newfoundland. After a life extending far beyond the allotted span, and one, abundant in activities, the call has come and the patriarch rests from his labours. He leaves five sons, John in British Columbia, David and Duncan in California, Charles and Alexander at home, and one daughter, Frances, whose tender care and loving ministrations brightened his declining years; also 17 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. The funeral will take place this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from his late residence, 101 Springdale street.
The Daily News, St. John's, Newfoundland - Dated August 14th, 1928.

Wylie, Ernest Victor
At 4:30 p.m. Friday August 31st, 1928, Ernest Victor, beloved husband of Isabel Wylie. Left to mourn wife and two sons. Also two sisters residing in England. Funeral on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. from 45 Hayward Avenue. Friends will please accept this the only intimation.
The Daily News - Dated Sept, 1, 1928
Wylie, Ernest Victor
Mr. Ernest Victor Wylie
passed peacefully away on Friday morning, August 31st, 1928. His funeral took place from the residence of Mr. J.D. Halfyard, 45 Hayward Avenue, on Sunday, September 2nd, 1928, to the General Protestant Cemetery. The late Mr. Wylie was connected with the Cochrane Street United Church, and the pastor, Rev. E.C. French, officiated at the home and the graveside. The hearse was preceded by a deputation from Leeming Lodge. L.O.A., and members of Whiteway Lodge A.F. and A. M. and members of the Great War Veterans' Association formed guards of honour. He was born in Liverpool, England, 49 years ago, and came to this country in 1905 as a hardware clerk to Ayre and Sons Ltd. In 1915 he returned to his native country and joined the British Army in 1916. He was shell-shocked and gassed in France, from which her never fully recovered. After spending nearly a year in hospital in England her returned to this country in March 1919. He returned to his work at Ayre and Sons for a short while, but was compelled to give it up owing to his physical condition. He married in 1910 to Miss Isabel Nichol, daughter of John and Emily Nichol of Harbour Grace. Both of Miss Nichol's parents were dead when she married, and she resided with her uncle and aunt, Mr. & Mrs. J.D. Halfyard of this city. His wife and two sons, George and Victor, survive him in this country, and two sisters in England. Before his return to England he was active in church and society work, being actively connected with Cochrane Street Church, and a prominent member of the Masonic and Orange Associations. He was also a member of the M.C.L.I. and took a prominent part in its debates.

 

 

Page contributed by Sandra Churchill

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Thursday May 16, 2013)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

NOTE:
You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]