Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.


Copied as printed in the paper.


The CARBONEAR HERALD and OUTPORT TELEPHONE Is Presented and Published from the Office, west of the Post and Telegraph Offices, Water Street, Carbonear, every Thursday Morning. All communications to be addressed to the Editor, Proprietor and Publisher, J.A. ROCHFORT, Herald Office, Water Street, Carbonear, Nfld.

January 8, 1880

Died – At Carbonear, on the 5th inst. of Consumption, after a lingering illness of nearly two years, borne with patient resignation to the Divine Will, MARY H ILL MURRISH, aged 28 years, a native of Bristol, England, the beloved wife of J. T. Murrish, Esq., M.R.C.P. Principal of the Methodist Grammar School Carbonear.

On the night of Monday last, 5th inst., a fire resulting in the loss of the lives of two children, took place at Heart’s Desire, Trinity Bay. It appears that the house was the property of a man named REID, and that whilst the adult members of the family were absent, accidentally took fire, and was entirely consumed before any assistance could be rendered.

January 22, 1880

Died – At Carbonear, South Side, on the 16th inst., after a long and severe illness, Mr. JOHN SOPER aged 56 years, leaving a wife and a large family to mourn his sad loss.

Died, on Monday, the 12th inst., MARY, eldest daughter of Mr. John WHELAN, aged 5 years and 11 months.

A sad accident occurred at Brigus during the past week. A poor man named JOHN PLOUGHMAN whilst on his way to the woods, dropped dead suddenly about a mile from the town. The poor fellow leaves a wife and large family to mourn their loss.

Married – At Harbor Maine, on the 15th inst., by the Very Rev. J. O’Donald, P.P., V.G. JAMES ROCHE, Tinsmith of Bay Roberts, to MARY, daughter of the late Nicolas FUREY, of Harbor Maine.

Married – At Brigus on the 21st inst. by the Rev. E.F. Walsh, P.P., Mr. W. ALLEN, to Miss MARY MAGEE, both of Brigus.

January 29, 1880

Married – On Wednesday, 28th inst., at St. Patrick’s Church, Carbonear, by the Rev. R. Walsh, Mr. JAMES BRINE to MAGGIE, youngest daughter of the late ALEXANDER HAMILTON, both of Carbonear.

Married at Harbor Grace, on the 20th January, by the Rev. Mr. J. Goodison, at the residence of the bride’s father, G.W.R. HIERLIHY, Esq., J.P., of H.M. Customs, Bay Roberts, to GEORGINA, eldest daughter of Mr. Samuel STOWE, of that place.

Married – At Catalina, on the 10th inst., by the Rev. P.A. Carolan, Mr. JAMES L. MURPHY, of the Anglo-American Telegraphy Company, to MARIE ANTOINETTE, eldest daughter of the late Capt. James MURPHY, of Catalina.

Died – On Tuesday last, after a short illness, much and deservedly regretted, BRIDGET, beloved wife of James MYLER, in the 24th year of her age. (New York and Boston papers please copy.)

Died – On Sunday last, the 18th inst., after a painful illness, ELLIE, second daughter of James P. and Anna MacGUIRE, aged 6 years.

February 5, 1880

CAUTION – We hear that typhus fever is becoming somewhat prevalent in certain localities about our neighborhood, some two or three cases having recently appeared on the South Side.

Married – On the 28th inst., at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Baptist by the Rev. C.J. Mashin, assisted by the Rev. G.M. Johnson RICHARD ALEXANDER, second son of the late J.W. M’COUBREY, Esq., Editor of the Times, to HARRIET, eldest daughter of Mr. A. CROSSMAN.

Died – On the 24th January, after a short illness, PATIENCE, relict of the late JOHN PIKE, Aged 87 years and 7 months.

Died – On the 30th January, ELIZABETH, wife of Captain Frances TAYLOR aged 75 years. She bore her severe and lingering affliction with exemplary patience, faith and fortitude. She leaves an affectionate family to mourn the loss of a devoted mother.

Died – On Saturday last, after a lingering illness, ELIZABETH, widow of the late Capt. Thomas COYELL, aged 91 years.

February 12, 1880

Gloucester, Mass., Jan. 24 – Schr ‘Plymouth Rock’, Capt. Morrissey, owned by George Steele, arrived today from the Grand Banks, and reports the loss of three of her crew on Jan. 7, named, respectively, WILLIAM MALLOY, JOHN RAYMOND and JERRY SIMMONDS, who were drowned by the capsizing of their dory while attending their trawls. Malloy was a native of St. Lawrence, Nfld., and about 28 years old.

March 18, 1880

A poor woman named DEAN was frozen to death in her bed on Sunday night last at Victoria Village.

Died – On Sunday evening last, after a long illness, HENRY RENOUF, Esq., late Judge of the District Court, St. John’s, in the 59th year of his age. His funeral took place from his late residence, Monkstown Rd. yesterday (Wed.).

Died on Monday, after a lingering illness, PATRICK KEOUGH, aged 51 years. Deceased was a native of Carbonear.

March 25, 1880

A sad tale of suffering and death reaches us from Portugal Cove. It appears that Mrs. PHILIP HAMMOND and a young woman named MARY HAMMOND left their home at the latter place on the morning of the 17th inst. to visit some friends at Lance Cove, Belle Isle. They intended to return about 4 o’clock of the same day. Losing their way, they wandered about the ice all night, and in the morning found themselves in the vicinity of Cape St. Francis. Here Mrs. H. became exhausted, and the young woman left her and hastened to Bauline for assistance, where she arrived at half-past three o’clock very much exhausted. She reported that Mrs. Hammond had fallen upon the ice and was unable to move. Mr. John D. Martin and several others at once started in search of the poor woman; but unfortunately, they were too late to render any assistance. When they reached Mrs. Hammond the vital spark had fled – she was frozen to death. The body was taken up and conveyed to Portugal Cove. – ‘Telegram’

What was found on the body (says the Advocate) tells a significant tale, she had what pork, dried caplin and potatoes she could carry. She did not put out on a nine mile return journey on the same day, laden with provisions, if these necessities were not much needed in her little household. Drifting snow sent the two travelers out of their course. Poor Mrs. Hammond, who was soon to become a mother, was not long able compete with the difficulties and overcome with fatigue, she sat down directing her companion to go for help.

We learn from the "Chronicle" that a young man named THOMAS WEST, belonging to Garnish, Fortune Bay, was accidentally killed on the 27th inst., while shooting at birds, by the accidental discharge of his gun.

April 2, 1880

It is our painful duty to record one of the most calamitous occurrences ever experienced by the inhabitants of Northern Bay, which resulted in the death, from cold and exhaustion, of four young men. The melancholy facts, as far as we can learn are as follows: - On Friday a boats crew consisting of 5 men, three HOGANS one MARCH and one FAHEY, put out from the above place for the purpose of getting some seals which had driven into the Bay towards the shore, they succeeded in loading their punt, and started for home, but the wind which had been from the Southward at the onset, had now veered around and off from the North West, tripping the ice off the shore and causing the punt to drift out towards the middle of the Bay; having made unavailing efforts to reach with their boat, the lake of water which had opened between them and the North Shore, and being almost overcome with fatigue, they made up their minds to travel no further until next morning, and in order to make the best possible shelter they could for the night, which was dreary and cold, they took the seals out of the boat and turned her on a side and gathered together to leeward, they remained so until next morning, and although having suffered extremely from cold and anxiety during the night, they were buoyed up with the hope that daylight would bring with it some help from the shore, but, alas! Their hopes were frustrated in finding that no boat had come off from the shore to their relief. Then they started for Cape St. Francis, being the nearest and on the lee, and having traveled for an hour, one of the two brothers named Hogan, became exhausted and laid down to die on the ice, March having had one biscuit remaining which he divided into five parts and gave to his comrades; traveling a few miles further, the second brother Hogan gave up, and the remaining three men proceeded on for an hour when Fahey, "nephew of the survivor," became ice blind and said, "uncle I cannot see your tracks. I must lie down." The survivor and March kept on traveling for the nearest part of the cape Shore, and on the way the former killed two seals and eat the hearts, but March could not eat any, this food having strengthened Hogan he was enabled to help on his comrade March, and they succeeded in landing in Cripple Cove,* about an hour from sunset, and reached an unoccupied house or, fishing hut, they tried to make in a fire but could not succeed, their matches being damp and would not light. By this time, poor March had become very weak, and said he could no longer hold out to travel but Hogan told him they should try and reach the Light House, which was about three quarters of a mile distant, so they both started for the Light House, but unfortunately March, poor man, could not keep up with Hogan who when landing told his comrade to keep moving about until he would reach the House and send him help. On reaching the Light House, Hogan having told the keeper that he left a dying man on the ice near Cripple Cove,+ a boat and crew were sent out, and after searching some time for the man, they returned without him. Early on Sunday morning the steamer Hercules, which was telegraphed for on Sat., having arrived at the Cape, Hogan went on board and showed them about where he left March, whose body they soon found on the ice near the rocks, and conveyed to Northern Bay. The steamer then put out again to look for the three missing bodies, and having searched in vain all day Sunday, she returned to St. John’s that evening. The remains of Mr. William March were interred at Northern Bay on Tuesday morning being attended to their resting place by a large circle of friends and relatives. Mr. William March, above referred to, is son of Simeon March, Esq., Northern Bay, and a late student of St. Bonaventure’s College. Being of most exemplary character he was much esteemed by all whose pleasure it was to be acquainted with him.

  • * Cripple Cove is a fishing station which is not inhabited in winter time.
  • + There is a part of Hogan’s statement having reference to the treatment he received from the Light House people at Cape St. Francis, which we decline publishing just now, as we consider it to be a matter with which the authorities are best able to deal.

Died – At Victoria Village, 27 Feb., CLEMENCE PENNY, aged 102 years; born at Flat Rocks, Bay-de-Verd.

By a telegram received by I.L. McNiel, Esq., from the Hon’ble Receiver General, this morning, we learn that the body of MARTIN HOGAN was picked up on the ice about 4 miles off the narrow and brought in to St. John’s; Martin Hogan was one of the poor fellows belonging to Northern Bay, who died on the ice on Sat. last.

April 8, 1880

Today the painful duty devolves upon us according the death of THOMAS McMURDO, Esq. The deceased gentleman was a native of Closeburn, Dumfriesshire, Scotland. During a residence in this city of nearly half a century he was highly respected and esteemed by all classes of our people, as well as for his kindly disposition as for his general value as a citizen. His death has made a vacancy in the ranks of the good and true that will not soon be filled. – Telegram, Thursday, April 1.

A shocking accident occurred at Toad’s Cove yesterday. It appears that while an elderly man named DAVID HOWLETT was out shooting, the gun unexpectedly went off and the whole charge lodged in his legs. This morning he was brought to the hospital where he now lies in such a dangerous t\state that his recovery is considered doubtful.

Yesterday, while Michael Power was out on the ice off Toad’s Cove, in quest of seals, he discovered the dead body of a young man, supposed to be of PATRICK HOGAN, one of the unfortunate men missing from Northern Bay. Father Driscoll had the poor fellow’s remains brought on shore enclosed in a double coffin and covered with snow in the graveyard, where it will remain until orders have been received from the friends of the deceased who were immediately communicated with.

Bonavista letter says the Newfoundlander, reports the death there on the 24th ult. of a fisherman named WILLIAM BESTON, caused by inhaling foul air in a cellar in which he had been working. His little son, 14 years old, who was with him, had a narrow escape of a like fate, having been taken out of the same place insensible but not too late to recover.

The same paper observes: "Week before last, a boat and four men were lost at Placentia. Their names were P. POWER, MICHAEL HARTIGAN, P. BRENNAN and a French sailor, name not given."

News of another fatal accident reaches us from Placentia. It appears that while three men, named respectively; JOHN ROSE, PETER PALFREY and PETER MILLER, were returning from the steamer Plover, yesterday evening by some means unknown to us at present, the boat capsized and the poor fellows were hurled into eternity. Two of the unfortunate men were married, and by their sudden death several children are left entirely unprovided for.

April 15, 1880

The "Newfoundlanders" Bonavista advices report the death of two poor fellows who went out seal hunting lately when the seals were driven in along shore. A young man named ENOCH SHEARING, of Canwell, had secured a tow of seals and was running towards shore when he fell through the ice and drowned. His body was picked up soon after.

Another fatal accident happened at Bird Island Cove. A young man of the name of JOB STEEDS, one of a punt’s crew, when coming in with his load of seals, also went down and was seen no more. His father met a similar sad fate when the seals were last in there four years ago.

May 13, 1880

Last Monday evening, just before the steamer Cortes was leaving St. John’s, Nfld. for this port, a man who gave his name as McNEILLY, came on board intoxicated. He was ticketed for New York, and nothing more was seen of him until midnight, when the ship was at sea, running around the vessel shouting ‘murder’. The man was immediately taken and locked up in a room in the cabin, and kept there until Wed. morning at five o’clock. He appeared perfectly sane and was last seen going forward with a coat over his arm. In about three quarters of an hour afterwards McNeilly was missed, and search made, but he must have jumped overboard. McNeilly was about 28 years of age, a salesman in a store at St. John’s. – Halifax Chronicle.

June 10, 1880

Birth – At Harbor Grace, Sunday last, the wife of W.P. MUNN, Esq., of a son.

June 17, 1880

The prisoners recently tried and convicted before the Supreme Court were sentenced on Tuesday.

ALEXANDER MUSGRAVE, for larceny, two counts, was sentenced on each to 15 months imprisonment, and within five days after release to quit the country for life, in default of which, or his return to the country at any time, he is to receive a further imprisonment of two years.

ALEXANDER PINDIKOWSKI, for forgery, was sentenced to 15 months from his first commitment, and is ordered to leave the country same as Musgrave.

CATHERINE CONSTANTINE, for concealment of birth, was sentenced to six months imprisonment from the date of first commitment.

JACOB DAWE, forgery, nine months with hard labor.

June 24, 1880

We notice with regret the announcement of the death of the Hon. ROBERT KENT, which took place at his country residence, Kilbride, on last Friday morning. His health had long been visibly failing; and thought it was not weaker than usual a few hours before death, the symptoms of the approaching end have been for some time manifest. Mr. Kent was in his 63rd year. He was the younger brother of the late Hon. John Kent of this place, and of Mr. James Kent, who died recently in Waterford. He held for many years the position of member of our Legislative Council and member of the Board of Vorks, to the duties of which he gave assiduous attention while he had strength enough to enable him to take part in public affairs.

July 29, 1880

An accident resulting in the death of Mr. WM. PACK, occurred at Bay Roberts on Sunday last. We understand that wile crossing the harbor a sudden squall upset the boat, and before assistance could reach, the poor fellow was drowned. He was grandson of the late R. Pack, Esq., formerly merchant of this town.

Died on the 21st inst., GEORGE WILLIAM, eldest son of Capt. Mark FORWARD, a native of Carbonear, aged 34 years.

In great peace, at Harbor Grace, and after years of suffering, borne with exemplary patience, JANE, the beloved wife of J. BEMISTER, Esq., Sheriff Northern District, aged 62 years.

Died at East Hampton, Mass., on the 17th inst., in the 47th year of her age, ELLEN, the wife of Edward MEANEY; deceased was a native of Carbonear, and leaves a large family to mourn her loss.

August 12, 1880

Died on Sunday night, after a lingering illness, which was borne with Christian fortitude and resignation to the Divine Will, Mr. JOHN COLFORD, cooper; a native of Stokes Town, County Wexford, Ireland, aged 75 years, 56 of which he spent in this country.

Died on Tuesday morning last, EDWARD N., infant son of Dr. and Jessie NELSON, aged two months.

September 2, 1880

Married on Wednesday morning, 1st inst. at the residence of the bride’s father, by the Rev. G. Boyd, Mr. WILLIAM SAMWAYS of St. John’s, to GEORGINA E., second daughter of Capt. Mark FORWARD of this place.

September 9, 1880

We are informed that Lovell’s Advanced Geography (148 pages) will be published on the 18th inst. It will contain 45 colored Maps, 210 Illustrations, a number of Statistical Tables, and a Pronouncing Vocabulary. Price $1.50.

September 23, 1880

A serious accident occurred at Little Bay Mines on Thursday last. A man named JOHN APPLETON fell down one of the shafts, a distance of about one hundred and sixty feet, and was instantly killed. – Ibid

September 30, 1880

Married – Last evening at St. Patrick’s Church, Carbonear, by the Rev. D. Falconia, O.S.F., Mr. JAMES GRAHAM to ISABELLA, daughter of the late Thos. CASEY.

Married – At Harbor Grace by the Rev. D. Falconia, O.S.F., Mr. JOHN PHIPPARD, of the Anglo-American Telegraph Company, to KATIE, the eldest daughter of Mr. M. FITZGERALD.

On Monday and Tuesday, a Requiem Mass was celebrated in Harbor Grace Cathedral fo TIMOTHY KANE and JOSEPH KANE of Burnt Island.

October 7, 1880

It is our painful duty to day to record the sad tidings which reached here by telegraph on Monday last, from Bonne Bay, of the sudden demise at that place of HENRY TAYLOR, Esq., Sub-Collector of Her Majesty’s Customs, in the 59th year of his age. The deceased gentleman was an old and highly respected inhabitant of this town where he spent upwards of 50 years, amongst his many relatives and friends. A few years ago, receiving an appointment to the position above referred, left here taking with him his family. This gentleman was a brother-in-law to our highly respected Magistrate I.L. MacNeil, Esq., and F. Bemister, Esq.

November 18, 1880

A Murder At The Moravian Settlement of Nain – By the arrival of the S.S. Hercules we are informed that an unfortunate affray, occurred, about the middle of last month at Nain, near Hopedale, one of the Moravian colonies. Two Eskimos were out deer shooting, and both fired simultaneously at the same deer. A quarrel immediately arose as to the ownership. Harsh words were exchanged, when one of the tawny sportsmen leveled his gun at the other and shot him dead. The inhabitants of Nain were so enraged that , on the first impulse, they resolved to place him on an Island lying off to sea, and so let him starve. The Moravian missionaries, having heard of the decision at which the people arrived, rescued the murderer from them, and placed him in charge of Captain Bartlett of the S.S. Panther that was at the time lying at Scrammy Bay. All the official depositions were taken at Hopedale by the Moravian missionaries, who forwarded them by the S.S. Hercules to St. John’s. They are now in possession of the Attorney General. The murderer was brought as far as Tournavick by the missionaries. This same Eskimo is said to have murdered his wife some three years ago, and to have cut her into pieces and thrown her over the cliff into the sea. He is now a prisoner on board the ship Panther. – Register.

The S.S. Panther from the Labrador arrived at Bay Roberts on Friday last. We are informed that the Indian who was being conveyed here as a prisoner made his escape as Grady. – Legyer.

From the Telegram we learn that the Eskimo who murdered his son at Nain was captured and brought to Harbor Main by a man named Hannon and while being conveyed to Brigus managed to effect his escape. The police of St. John’s and the Bay are on the alert for him.

December 1, 1880

Owing to the irregularity of this paper during our late absence the half year will not expire until the 8th of December instead of the 22nd November as heretofore.

December 9, 1880

About the 25th June, a man who gave his name as Dr. SHEPPARD, came to Joe Batt’s Arm, and after staying there a week or two, proceeded to Bar’d Islands, where he practiced a month or more, at that time diphtheria being very prevalent there. He cured several persons, after which he took this disease accompanied with erysipelas and poor fellow succumbed. He was first known to be a boarder at Gleeson’s boarding house St. John’s, afterwards as steward of a vessel from the employ of John Munn & Co., and next as doctor at Change Islands, Herring Neck and French Shore. After his death the name of THOMAS DAVIS was found to be on his arm in Indian ink. He is said to be a native of Florida, where his mother is still supposed to reside. He is buried in the Church of England grave yard, Bar’d Island, with not even a stone to mark his grave. Should this come under the notice of any of his friends or relatives, many of whom he have undoubtedly made in his long travel and to which his profession entitled him, they will receive further information by communicating with the proprietor of this journal who is in possession of further particulars.

December 16, 1880

Died at Brigus, from the effects of a shot from a gun, WILLIAM, youngest son of the late Thomas BATTCOCK.

Died at Carbonear, on the 9th inst., deeply regretted, MARY, relict of the late William GEARY, and mother of Cap. T. Geary, aged 84 years. Deceased was a native of County Carlow, Ireland, and a well known and highly respected resident of Carbonear for the past 60 years.

We are informed that diphtheria is on the decrease at Heart’s Content.

We are informed by Dr. Nelson, that he is attending eight cases of typhoid fever on the South Side of this town.

Not Published – Jan. 1, Mar. 11, Dec. 30

Missing – Apr. 22, July 15, Aug. 26, Oct. 14, Nov. 22, Nov. 27



Page contributed by Maxine Edwards (June 2002)

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit ( Wednesday February 20, 2013 )

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]