To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Lovell's 1871 |
Provincial Business Directory
| PLACENTIA |
A town of the east side of Placentia Bay, and the capital of the district of Placentia, is one of the oldest towns in the colony; it was settled by the French in 1626 and strongly fortified. It successfully resisted an attack made upon it by the English Squadron and was held by the French as a continual menace to English supremacy in this island. The town is built for the most part upon a low beach, which is sometimes covered with water. A little to the south of the town is a large hill with a remarkable cliff on the middle of the beach. The harbor is very fine and large. It has two arms, the North East and South East, along the shores is a considerable population engaged in farming and salmon fishing. The scenery of these arms is very beautiful. The fishing from Placentia is mostly carried on in large boats. It is a port of entry, and a post town, and is the packet station for the mail boat plying in Placentia Bay and for the Overland Western postal route. The Circuit Court holds a session here every autumn and a magistrate holds court daily. A fine road connects it with St. John's, from which it is distant 80 miles. Mail fortnightly. Population 400.
Barron Frank, fisherman Barron Martin, fisherman Bonia Maurice, fisherman Bradshaw T.L., merchant Burke Pearce, fisherman Carroll Michael, fisherman Collins James, fisherman Collins John, fisherman Collins Samuel, fisherman Collins Thomas, farmer Condon rev. E., R. catholic Corbin William, farmer Croucher Amos, fisherman Dee Maurice, fisherman Delaney James, fisherman Doody William, fisherman Fitzpatrick John, fisherman Fitzpatrick Pierce, planter Flinn Thomas, fisherman Fowloo Matthew, fisherman Furlong James, fisherman Furlong John, fisherman Furlong Patrick, fisherman Grant Andrew, fisherman Grant Edward, fisherman Hartigan Michael, fisherman Hanrick James, fisherman Kelley James, fisherman Norman William, fisherman Mooney Francis, fisherman Mooney James, fisherman Mooney Thomas, fisherman Morrissey Michael, fisherman O'Donnell J.P., fisherman O'Rielley Thomas, merchant Phippard William, fisherman Quinn Richard, fisherman Rieley Edward, fisherman Rieley Garrett, of Garrett, fisherman Rieley Garrett, of William, fisherman Rieley Thomas, of Garrett, fisherman Rieley Thomas, sen., fisherman Rieley Thomas, of William, fisherman Rieley William, sen., fisherman Rieley William, of William, fisherman Roche Lawrence, fisherman Roche Richard, fisherman Rose William, fisherman Sinnott Elijah, fisherman Sinnott Edward, fisherman Sullivan Humphrey, fisherman Smith James John, fisherman Sinnott John, fisherman Sinnott Patrick, fisherman Ste Croix Christopher, fisherman Wallace John, fisherman Walsh Edward, fisherman Walsh James, fisherman Walsh Patrick, fisherman Walsh Richard, fisherman Wise Richard, planter
The entries have been transcribed as
they appear in the 1871 Lovell's directory.
Over the years, many of the names have become
colloquialized or spelled differently.
Transcribed by Rick Power
Page Revised: January - 2003 (Don Tate)
|Recent Updates||Contact Us|
Your Community, Online!
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)