To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
The work of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Newfoundland began with the arrival of two missionaries in 1893. In 1895 the first church school was started in the living room of Mrs. Anna Pippy, the first S.D.A. convert in Newfoundland. Mrs. Pippy's home was at 92 Freshwater Road, in St. John's. By 1920 the Freshwater Road manse was remodeled and later named the Newfoundland Academy, offering grades one to ten. In 1938, the city council of St. John's made street adjustments so the Academy could expand from a three room school to a new three story building with an enrollment of 106 students. The school auditorium was added in 1946. In the 1970s a separate building was build for the S.D.A. Elementary school, at 154 Freshwater Road. The Academy continued to operate from the old building at 106 Freshwater Road, serving between 75-85 students in grades 7-12.
The Conception Bay South Seventh-day Adventist Church is located on the main highway in the community of Upper Gullies (in the town of Conception Bay South), which is approximately thirty kilometers west of St. John's, the capital city of Newfoundland.
The church, as it stands at present, didn't always have the same structural appearance as when the building was first purchased back in 1983. At that time it was used as a building supplies retail outlet. Needless to say, extensive renovations and repairs were necessary to bring the building up to church standards. Apart from the sanctuary and baptismal areas the building presently comprises three rooms which are used for Sabbath School classes for children, youth and adults; a mother's room; a book and video library; Pastor's study; Fellowship room and kitchen.
Prior to the purchase of this building, Seventh-day Adventists residing in Conception Bay South area were members of the St. John's SDA Church located on Aldershot Street and thereafter traveled to St. John's in order to attend church., thirty eight members of the St. John's Church decided that they wanted a church in their area of CBS and went about purchasing a building. The Seventh-day Adventist Church is proud to be a part of the Conception Bay South area and is very thankful for the God-given opportunity for reaching out to people in need, whether it be of a physical or spiritual nature.
Information and Records of the Conception Bay South SDA Church - Manuels
P.O. Box 5129
Telephone and Fax #:
Fax #: (709) 744-2420
Seventh Day Adventist Church - St. John's/CBS
Seventh Day Adventist Church - St. John's/CB
Pastor Junior Stanley
(709) 745-5550 (Home Phone)
This church started in 1983 and all records prior to this Church opening can be found at the SDA Administration Office and Archives. There are no records available at the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL).
There are no Vital Statistics Volumes available for this Parish They do have the All Newfoundland Births - Vital Statistics Division microfilm available for this parish at the PANL for the period from 1891 to1926 for baptisms and from 1891 to 1922 for marriages.
The death records for this parish start from 1983 onwards. There are microfilms at the PANL from the Vital Statistics division from 1891 to 1949 for deaths. (This would apply to the earlier records held at the SDA Office in St. John's).
Cemetery used: Seven Day Adventist Hillcrest Cemetery located on Daniels Road, Seal Cove, CBS
The following is a list of the Ministers who served the parish of CBS:
I would like to thank Pastor Junior Stanley of CBS Parish and Pastor Jamison
at the Head Office for all their help with this information
Contributed By: Barbara McGrath
Page Revised: July 2002 (Don Tate)
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2017)