In 1982 the parish of St. Thomas of Villanova was divided from the old St. Edward's parish. The area from Seal Cove to Dunn's Hill still retained the name St. Edward's with Father Hanton as the parish priest. Topsail became St. Thomas of Villanova, with Father Greg Hogan as pastor. This area included Long Pond. Holy Family Parish included Paradise and St. Thomas with Sister Brenda Phelan as administator and Father Dennis Walsh as priest commuting from St. John's from 1982 to 1984.
Information and Records for St. Thomas of Villanova
Roman Catholic Parish Church
St. Thomas of Villanova Roman Catholic Parish - Topsail
P.O. Box 13034
Topsail Station, Conception Bay South, NL
Telephone and Fax #
Fax #:not available
none available at this time (in the process of getting one)
Rev. Charles Holland
The new Church opened in 1986, prior to this they were under the St. Edwards R.C. Church in Kelligrews, Corpus Christi and the Basilica.
There are no records available at the PANL for this Parish, any records prior to this church breaking away from the Foxtrap Parish, can be found at one of the churches listed above.
There are no Vital Statistics Volumes (DPHW) available for this Parish They do have the All Newfoundland Births - Vital Statistics Division microfilm available for this parish at the PANL for the period from 1891 to1926 for baptisms and from 1891 to 1922 for marriages.
The death records for St. Thomas of Villanova Parish start from 1979 onwards There are microfilms at the PANL from the Vital Statistics Division from 1891 to 1949 for deaths.
The following cemetery is used:
Holy Sepulchre Cemetery located on Topsail Road in Mount Pearl is the newest cemetery (opened in the last 30 years)
A list of priests who have served the parish of St. Thomas of Villanova:
Rev. Gregory Hogan Sep 1982-Jan 1988
Father Wallis Feb 1988-Aug 1988 (as an Administrator)
Father Kennedy Feb 1988-Aug 1988 (as an Administrator)
Father Holland Sep 1988-Sep 1991
Father Doody Sep 1991-Aug 1992
Father Holland Aug 1992-present