St. Edward's Roman Catholic Church, Kelligrews, is one of the more modern churches in the Archidiocese of St. John's. The site for the new church on Longshore Road was blessed in August, 1989 and was officially opened and dedicated by the Most Rev. James H. MacDonald, Archbishop of St. John's on Oct 13, 1991.
The church may be relatively new but the parish has a long history. The Parish dates back to 1877 when the parish was given its own identity. Prior to 1877, the whole of the South Shore of Conception Bay fell under the jurisdiction of the Parish Priest of Portugal Cove. The first church was built in the community in 1882 which was destroyed by fire on July 18, 1914. On August 14, 1918, Archbishop E.P. Roche completed and opened a new church to serve the community. This church remains standing on the main highway in Kelligrews. St. Edward's Parish serves the communities of Foxtrap, Kelligrews, Upper Gullies and Seal Cove. The church has a seating capacity of 470. The cornerstone of the old St. Edward's Church, blessed in 1917, was removed from the old St. Edward's and today forms the cornerstrone of the new parish Church and Centre.
Information and Records for St. Edward's
Roman Catholic Parish Church
St. Edward's Parish
P.O. Box 17002
Kelligrews Station, Conception Bay South, NL
Fax #:(709) 834-3625
Rev. William Pomroy
Mary Claire O'Brien
The old church opened in 1876 and the new one in 1991, however, no records exist for Baptisms, Marriages and deaths prior to 1914 due to a fire in the old church that destroyed most of the records. There may be a few available, they are not in any order and are photocopies of pieces of paper. Records prior to these can be found at the Basilica and Portugal Cove Parishes.
There are no Vital Statistics Volumes (DPHW) available for this Parish They do have the All Newfoundland Births - Vital Statistics Division microfilm available for this parish at the PANL for the period from 1891 to1926 for baptisms and from 1891 to 1922 for marriages.
The death records for St. Edward's Parish start from 1914 onwards. There are microfilms at the PANL from the Vital Statistics Division from 1891 to 1949 for deaths.
The following cemetery is used:
St. Edward's Roman Catholic Cemetery located just off Pond Road in Kelligrews
A list of Priests who served the parish of St. Edward's:
Rev. Lawrence Vereker 1877-1880 (transferred to
Bell Island parish)
Rev. Michael P. Morris 1882-1889 (brother of Edward P.
Morris Premier of NF)
Rev. M. Ryan 1890-1895
Rev. J. McGrath 1890-1896 (transferred to Bell Island parish)
Rev. William Jackman 1897-1898 (administrator of the parish)
Rev. Fr. Roche 1898-1907 (later became the Archbishop
of St. John's from 1915 - 1950)
Rev. William O'Flaherty 1908-1909
Rev. James Coady 1910-1913 (administrator of the parish)
Rev. M.F. McGuire 1913-1913 (left for the US and served
as Chaplain on US Naval Ships)
Rev. Thomas Nangle 1913-1914 (became Chaplain for the NF
Regiment during the war 1914-1918)
Rev. Peter Kelly 1914-1926 (took on the task of re-building
the church, school that
had burnt in 1914)
Rev. Andrew Nolan 1926-1930
Rev. Robert A. St. John 1930-1948 (during this time the
parish suffered another fire
and the new presbytery was burnt
destroying all its (contents
including all the parish records).
Rev. Francis Jackman 1948-1977 (retired)
Rev. Patrick Kennedy 1977-1979 (increased the Kelligrews
cemetery and had it fenced
Rev. John Hanton 1979-1987
The parish changed at this point and the old parish which included
the whole area from Seal Cove to Paradise was divided in 1982. The
area of Seal Cove to Dunn's Hill in Foxtrap is now St. Edward's Parish
and from Dunn's Hill to St. Thomas Line is now St. Thomas of Villanova
parish with Rev. Gregory Hogan as Pastor. A new parish called
Holy Name had been formed comprising Paradise and St. Thomas with
Sister Brenda Phelan =as administrator and Father Dennis Walsh
commuting from St. John's. Father John Wallsi has since been
appointed as the parish priest of Holy Name.
Rev. Dennis Walsh 1982-1984 (commuted from St. John's)
Sr. Brenda Phelan 1982-1984 (administrator of the parish)
Rev. Patrick Kennedy 1987-1999
Rev. William Pomeroy 1999-present