Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

How to report a possible transcription error

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

St. Anne's <br>Roman Catholic Parish Church <br>Conception Hr.

St. Anne's
Roman Catholic Parish Church
Conception Hr.

History for St. Anne's
Roman Catholic Parish Church
Conception Hr.



From 1857 until 1884 Conception Harbour was a mission of Harbour Main. Its original boundaries extending from Middle Cove to Brigus Barrens. The first R.C. church was dedicated to St. Anne and this was built between 1857 and 1861. In 1869 the Sisters of Mercy came there to teach school. The parish of Conception Hr., on of the oldest of the Diocese was established on Jan 01, 1884. The first priest to reside there was rev. Patrick O'Donnell from 1884 to 1891. He was succeeded by Rev. William Veitch from 1891 to 1917. During Father Veitch's pastorate a new church as built in 1904. This church is still used today and is in excellent condition and is considered one of the most beautiful churches in Newfoundland.

Many fine prominent people came from this parish. Rev. Patrick Hearne was born in Colliers (Apr 08, 1888) and died Jul 05, 1931. He is buried near the church in Conception Hr. There is a beautiful shrine built in honor of St. Anne in memory of Sister Gerturde Kennedy, who was miraculously cured at the shrine of St. Anne De Beaupre, Quebec. Patrick Kennedy, student for the priesthood, two Christian Brothers, John Costello and Leonard Dalton are of this parish as well as three priests living in the US, whose parents were born and raised in Con. Hr. as well as a doctor (Paul Walsh), two magistrate's (M.F. O'Toole and John Trahey), a supreme court judge (John J. Mahoney), Ph D's (Robert O'Driscoll, William Gushue, Patrick Gushue and Kevin Burke who are now with the Cdn Vice Consul in Texas). And fourteen residents of Conception Hr. became Sisters of Mercy.

Information and Records for
St. Anne's Roman Catholic Parish
Conception Hr.

P.O. Box 154
Conception Harbor, Conception Bay
A0A 1Z0

Telephone and Fax #:
(709) 229-4011
Fax #:(709) 229-4011

e-mail address:

Home page:
None Available

Rev Deodoro Caga

Ms. Margaret Gushue

This church opened in 1884 and records prior to that would have been at Saints Peter & Paul Parish, Hr. Main (1857-1884); St. Patrick's R.C. Parish in Brigus (1824-1857); and prior to that at the Immaculate Conception R.C. Parish in Harbor Grace (1806-1824). All records for St. Patrick's in Brigus burnt in 1936. These records included the years covering the Conception Bay Central parishes from 1824 to 1857.

Anyone researching the areas from Holyrood to Colliers should also look at the St. Paul's Anglican Church in Hr. Grace from 1775 to 1806 for earlier records and you will be surprised to find some entries there, as well they should also check the Basilica of St. John the Baptist in St. John's, as entries have been found there as well.

Following are the records that are available at St. Anne's Parish in Conception Hr. as well as at the PANL.

Baptisms		1884-1906		Box 1
Baptisms 1907-1945 Box 2
Marriages 1884-1930 Box 1

There are no Vital Statistics Volumes (DPHW) available for this Parish They do have the All Newfoundland Births - Vital Statistics Division microfilm available for this parish at the PANL for the period from 1891 to1926 for baptisms and from 1891 to 1922 for marriages.

The death records for St. Anne's Parish start from 1930 onwards There are microfilms at the PANL from the Vital Statistics Division from 1891 to 1949 for deaths.

The following is the Cemetery used:
St. Anne's Cemetery - located in Conception Harbor (on the Old Road in Conception).

A list of Priests who have served the parish of St. Anne's:

1884-1891   Rev. Patrick O'Donnell
1891-1917   Rev. William Veitch  (named Monsignor in 1909)
1917-1918   Rev. Thomas D. O'Neil
1918-1926   Rev. Msgr. Joseph V. Donnelly
1919-1926   Rev William Murphy - curate to Msgr. Donnelly
1926-1929   Rev William Murphy
1930-1949   Rev. John Scully
1930-1936   Rev J.R. Jones - curate to Fr Scully
1937-1938   Rev Walter Walsh - curate to Fr Scully
1942-1943   Rev Francis Terry - curate to Fr Scully
1943-1948   Rev Joseph M. O'Brien - curate to Fr Scully
1948-1961   Monsignor W.H. Casey
            Fr T. Thomkins served for a brief period around 1954, as curate to Fr Casey
1961        Rev Edward Hern (Part Year)
1961-1977   Rev Ronald Walsh
1977-1978   Rev E. A. Walsh administerd the Parish from Avondale
1978-1979   Rev Charles Costello part year and Fr Larry George part year
1979-1980   Rev Michael Ryan
1980-1981   Rev Patrick Power C.S.S.R.
1981-1984   Rev Paul Doucette C.S.S.R.
1984-1988   Rev William Houlihan
1989-1998   Rev David Heale
1998-2000   Rev Michael Ryan
2000-August 31 2005 Rev Michael Barker
August 31, 2005 to Present  Rev Deodoro Caga



Updated by Robert Keating with additional information relating to past serving Priests - December 2008

Original Information Contributed by Barbara McGrath (July 2000)

I would like to thank Sister Magdalen O'Brien for sending me the original
history of St. Anne's Parish and to Mrs. Frances Laracy for the beautiful
photo from her personal collection of memoirs (Barbara McGrath - July 2000)

Page Revised: July 2002 (Don Tate)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2016)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]