To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
History of the Hope Pentecostal Church - Seal Cove
A part of the Town of Conception Bay South since 1986, Seal Cove is situated between Upper Gullies and Holyrood. The roots of Pentecostalism In the town date to 1933. Seventeen year old Seal Cove native Dorcas Morgan and later John Butler, were converted in the St. John's Bethesda Mission, which was started by Alice B. Garrigus (1858-1949), the founder of The Pentecostal Assemblies of Newfoundland.
In 1933 Harold and Mary Tilley, along with Elsie Hiscock, began traveling by horse and buggy from Long Pond to Seal Cove. There they held services for more than a year in James Morgan's home. John W. Hammond writes that the Morgan house was " the scene of many old-fashioned Pentecostal services." The first convert was the wife of William Joe Morgan. In 1935, under the leadership of Seal Cove's first resident pastor Maud Evans, a church building was constructed on land that had been donated by Charles Butler. A new sanctuary is now located on GardenRoad, a fine building of over 2,000 sq. ft. The congregation left the old 400 sq.ft. site on Seal Cove Road in March of 1986. At present there are Approximately 50 families attending Hope Pentecostal Church.
Information and Records for Hope Pentecostal ChurchADDRESS:
P.O. Box 12397
Manuels, Conception Bay
Telephone and Fax #:
Fax #: none available
none available at this time
none available at this time
Guy E. and E. Althea Hillier
(709) 744-3508 (Minister)
Marriages from 1933 onwards
Burials from 1933 onwards
There are no Vital Statistics Volumes available for this Parish They do have the All Newfoundland Births - Vital Statistics Division microfilm available for this parish at the PANL for the period from 1891 to1926 for baptisms and from 1891 to 1922 for marriages. The death records for this parish start from 1933 onwards There are also microfilms at the PANL from the Vital Statistics Division from 1891 to 1949 for deaths. Cemetery used: Hope Pentecostal Cemetery on Cemetery Road in Seal Cove. All records prior to this Church opening can be found at the PAON Administration Office and Archives at the address above The following is a list of Pastors who served the Hope Pentecostal Parish: Pastor Maud Evans (unknown)
Pastor Olive Hudson (1936-1937)
Pastor Joseph Harris (1939- ? )
Pastor Maxwell Vatcher (unknown)
Pastor Arthur S. Windsor (unknown)
Pastor E. Raymond Pelley (1942-1945)
Pastor Daisy Adey (unknown)
Pastor Miss Sheppard (unknown)
Pastor Evangeline Lidstone (1957-1958)
Pastor Elsie Pike (unknown)
Pastor Mary Butler (unknown)
Pastor H. Hodder (1963-1964)
Pastor Claude & Mrs. Tucker (1964-1965)
Pastor Edward G. & Mrs. Snow (1972-1973)
Pastor R.L. Lodge (1975-1976)
Pastor Lionel R. Miles (1976-1977)
Pastor H. Paul Foster (1980-1981)
Pastor Lionel R. Miles (1981-1985)
Pastor G. Canning (1985-1987)
Pastor Clayton G. Butt (1987-1988)
Pastor Stafford F. Canning (1988-1991)
Pastor Winston W. King (1991-1994)
Pastor Cecil D. Clarke (1994-present)
Special thanks to Burton Janes, Archivist at PAON all his input on the history and for sending me the photo of the church
Contributed by Barbara McGrath
Page Revised: July 2002 (Don Tate)
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2017)