Share/Save/Bookmark

Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

How to report a possible transcription error

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

History of St. John the Evangelists Anglican Church - Topsail

St. George's Anglican Church - Brigus

History of St. George's Anglican Church
Brigus

 

 

St. George's Church, Brigus, was built in 1876, replacing a chapel built in 1851. The cornerstone of this chapel can be found near the basement door of the present building. The first service was held in December, 1877. The building is of Gothic design and was constructed under the supervision of George C. Jerrett of England. A pipe organ was replaced by an electric organ in 1963 and vinyl siding was installed in 1990. Except for these changes, the building is in its original design with all original furnishings. The Church is built on a hill and is visible from both land and sea. It has a seating capacity of approximately 450. It serves the people of Brigus, Georgetown, Marysvale, Roaches Line and Brigus Junction. It is one of the 4 churches which make up the parish of Brigus-South River.

The stained glass window in the East wall of the Sanctuary, depicting the Crucifixion, was made by Mayer Co., Munich & London, in 1880. This window was given in memory of Rebecca Bartlett who died May 7, 1879, aged 58 years. It is said that the window causes considerable controversy between the 'high' and 'low' Church of England Congregation when it was installed in 1880.


Note:- As per a December 2003 announcement, this church is now destined
to be turned into apartments by an american businman.


History and Information for
St. George's Anglican Church
Brigus (Marysvale)

ADDRESS:
P.O. Box 142
South River, Conception Bay
Newfoundland
A0A 3W0

Telephone #:
(709) 786-7591
Fax #: (709) not available

e-mail address:
Rev. Wescott

Pastor
Rev. Gerald Westcott

Secretary
None

Archivists:
Robert Bishop (709) 528-4669
Melvin Piercey, Church Warden (709) 528-4247

Records available:


All records are available from 1840 to present at the Parish only, none are available at PANL other than one box marked Marriages (1830 - ).

These are the Vital Statistics Volumes (DPHW) that are available at PANL only:

Parish:		Harbour Grace
Place:		Brigus
Religion:	Church of England

Baptisms:	1775-1807		Vol 110		Reel No. M
		1807-1830		Vol 111		Reel No. M
		1830-1854		Vol 112		Reel No. N
		1854-1892		Vol 044		Reel No. D

Marriages:	1776-1833		Vol 45A		Reel No. D
		1831-1891		Vol 45B		Reel No. E

Also:

Parish:		Brigus
Place:		Brigus
Religion:	Church of England
Baptisms:	1860-1891		Vol 37		Reel No. C
Marriages:	1860-1891		Vol 38		Reel No. C	

These are the All Newfoundland Births - Vital Statistics Division microfilm available for this parish at the PANL for the period from 1891 to1926 for baptisms and from 1891 to 1922 for marriages.

The death records for this Parish start from 1840 onwards. There are also microfilms at the PANL from the Vital Statistics Division from 1891 to 1949 for deaths.

Church used prior: St. Paul's Anglican Church in Hr. Grace

Cemetery used:

Marysvale Anglican Cemetery located on the Gut Road in Marysvale (turn down the road by McHugh's Store)

A list of Ministers who served the Parish of St. George's:

1860-1863        Rev. W. Shannon		
1863-1887        Rev. R. Holland Taylor	
1866-1866 (Feb)  Rev. W.C. Shears	
1878-1878 (July) Rev. R.C. Lawrence	
1878-1878 (Aug)  Rev. Charles Baker	
1887-1890        Rev. Theo Netten	
1890-1890 (June) Rev. H. Elington	
1890-1891Rev.    R. Holland Taylor	
1891 - 1895      Rev. R.H. Taylor
1896 - 1897      Rev. G.H. Bolt
1898 - 1900      Rev. James J. White
1900 - 1914      No listings
1914 - 1919      Rev. E.K.H. Caldwell
1929 - ?         Rev. W.R. Butler


 

 

I would like to thank Robert Bishop for sending me the history of St. George's Parish
and Melvin Piercey for sending the photo and the information on the cemetery in Marysvale.

Contributed by Barbara McGrath

Page Revised by Craig Peterman (February 2004)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2016)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!



Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]