To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
For many years Topsail was included in the Mission of Foxtrap and the Church of England congregations were served by visiting clergy from St. John's. As early as September, 1832, Thomas Martin Wood was made a Deacon by Bishop Inglis, and before the year was out he was appointed to the Charge of St. John's Outports, which at that time included Topsail and the other settlements on the south side of Conception Bay and Petty Harbour.
The first resident clergyman in Foxtrap was a Missionary - Benjamin Fleet, who came to Newfoundland and ordained Priest in 1842 by Bishop Spencer. After 4 years in the Burin Mission he moved to Foxtrap, where he died in 1876. Rev Fleet and his people built a first small chapel which was later replaced with a more pretentious one. It was said that he ordered men to sit on one side of the Nave and the woman on the other side. Between 1895 and 1911, Foxtrap and Topsail split.
In 1905 St. Peter's Church was built at Hopewell, but still remained part of the Foxtrap Mission. Rev. Caldwell came in 1904 as the Rector of the Foxtrap/Hopewell Mission and at that time the rectory was on the site, in Foxtrap, where the Junior High School now stands. On July 6, 1909, the rectory burned and he and his family went to live in Kelligrews to live in Wm James Tilley's house, which is now occupied by Mrs. Jessie Petten. In 1906, Rev. Caldwell, appointed 2 members for the Select Vestry from the communities of Long Pond, Foxtrap, Middle Bight, Kelligrews, Greeleytown and Peachytown. In 1912 the mission was extended to Indian Pond. By 1923 there were 2,000 members.
In 1928 the Mission of Foxtrap was raised to a Parish status and was now known as the Foxtrap/Hopewell Parish. In 1928 emphasis was put on the parish for a new building and after 3 years of hard work, the congregation witnessed the completion of the new "All Saints Anglican Church" being corner stoned on June 8, 1931 and consecrated on October 31, 1937 on the eve of "All Saints". This church was built by William Henry Batten and a Mr. Stevens, both of Bareneed, Conception Bay, with the exception of these two masters, the church was built by hard work and free labor by the parish members.
In 1976, St. Peter's Mission became a separate parish to be known as the Parish of Upper Gullies (Hopewell). Comprised of Upper Kelligrews, Upper Gullies, Seal Cove and Holyrood. This became official on August 31, 1976.
Information and Records for All Saints Anglican Church - Foxtrap
The Rev'd Byron Barter
The Rev'd David Burrows
The new church opened in 1931, prior to that the old church opened in 1842. All records prior to 1896 were lost in the Church fire. The Church used prior to this one opening was the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in St. John's, and some records may be found at St. Thomas Anglican Church.
Records available: Records start in 1896 and are available at the Parish Office, (even though the church started in 1842, all records prior to 1896 burnt in the church fire). These records are not available at the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL). For records prior to 1842 see above
These Vital Statistics Volumes (DPHW) are available at PANL only:
Baptisms: 1876-1891 Vol 33 Reel No. C
These are the All Newfoundland Births - Vital Statistics Division microfilm available for this parish at the PANL for the period from 1891 to1923 for baptisms and from 1891 to 1926 for marriages and from 1891 to 1949 for deaths
The death records held at this parish start from 1896 to present day.
A list of Pastors who served the All Saints Parish:
I would like to thank Madonna Lawrence for sending me the history
Contributed by Barbara McGrath
Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (April 08, 2009)
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)