To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Presentation Sisters Cemetery
|This small burial plot is located on the slope behind Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church in Ferryland and is generally referred to as the Presentation Sisters Cemetery. This order of teaching Roman Catholic nuns was founded in Ireland by Nano Nagle in 1776. The initial presence of the Presentation Sisters at Ferryland goes back to 1858, however they were an extension of the Presentation Sisters who had earlier established a convent farther south at Admiral's Cove (now Port Kirwan), Fermeuse in 1853. The first Presentation Sisters, mainly from Ireland, arrived there under the patronage of the local parish priest, Father James Murphy. At Ferryland, the Convent of St. Joseph and The Sacred Heart was consecrated by Bishop Mullock on October 2, 1858. A statue and plaque to commomerate their centenary is located near Holy Trinity Church.|
Information shown in [red] provided by transcribers or district coordinator.
|BOOKER||Sister M. Bonaventure||May 2, 1897||[Per Vital Statistics death record - Died at Ferryland of La Grippe - Sister Mary Bonaventure Booker
Age 51 - born in Ireland.]
|KELLY||Sister M. Gertrude||Feb. 28, 1899||[Per Vital Statistics death record - Died at Ferryland of La Grippe- [Rev.] Mother Mary Gertrude Jane Kelly
Age 64 - born in Ireland.]
|QUINLAN||Sister M. Ignatius||Sept. 29, 1910||[Per Vital Statistics death record - Died at Ferryland of Old Age - Rev. Mother Igatius Quinlan
Age 87 - born in Ireland.]
Transcribed by: Kevin Reddigan (from photos) - October 2016
Photographed and Copyrighted by Craig Peterman (2010)Page Last Modified: Monday October 24, 2016 (Kevin Reddigan)
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)