To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
During the dedication ceremony of the new United Church at Bell Island on Sunday afternoon, the Pastor Rev. T. J. Pitt, said that he had looked for this day for a long time and now that it had come it really seemed too good to be true. The old church was opened for public worship in the summer of 1901 (just 50 years ago), and has served the community well. The new church is far more central and in a better position to serve the community than the old one.
The building fund was launched during the pastorate of the late Rev. Sidney Bennett and the work of excavation begun when Rev. W. J. Woolfrey was minister. During the pastorate of Rev. R. N. Rowsell the building fund continued to be built up and plans were discussed. Work began on the new church on the 31st of July last year and the cornerstone was laid by Senator C. C. Pratt, Oct. 8th, 1950. Free labour was given very generously. It goes back several years to the digging of the foundation and again since actual work of construction began last August.
Work of wiring the building was done by free labour under the leadership of Mr. Chas. Normore. The Women's Associations were untiring in their efforts and rendered splendid service. Gifts of cash were given from time to time which will be acknowledged in the church's 1950 and 1950 financial statement. There are over 100 employees of the Dominion Wabana Ore Company who have been giving and still are giving 2% of their wages and salaries which has helped the building fund enormously. The company also has helped in many ways. The building was constructed by Saunders and Howell of Carbonear under the very able foremanship of Mr. Harold Parsons of Carbonear, who with the men under him really have done a splendid job. Rev. Pitt thanked the President of the Conference for his presence and message and the other ministers who assisted during the service. He also thanked Major Rideout of the Salvation Army who cancelled his 3 o'clock service to attend the dedication, soloist Mr. James Rooney, Mr. W. F. Galgay of the C. B. C. and his assistants Messrs. Thistle and Penney for making the broadcast possible, and to all who gave assistance in any way he extended a very sincere thank you.
The following gifts for the church were gratefully acknowledged:
The following are the names of the building committee:
A full account of the service of dedication of the new church appeared in Monday's Daily News.
Contributed by Barbara McGrath
Transcribed by Ivy Benoit (January 2001)
Page Revised: February - 2003 (Don Tate)
|Recent Updates||Contact Us|
Your Community, Online!
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2017)