Share/Save/Bookmark

Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

Bonavista Bay Communities not Listed
in the Encyclopedia of Newfoundland

Badger's Quay

Badger's Quay - Valleyfield-Pool's Island - Pop. 1976, 1468. An incorporated community, in 1946, composed of Valleyfield, Pool's Island, North West Arm, Southwest Island and Tinker's Island and the resettled community of Safe Harbour. (Info from the Enc. of NF and LAB) NB (Since then the above settlements have incorporated with Brookfield, Wesleyville, Pound Cove, Templeman, and Newtown. While the towns maintain their original names the Town Council is under the name New-Wes-Valley.


Berry Head Island, Flat Islands

Berry Head- part of a cluster of islands named Flat Islands. Berry Head pop. never exceeded fifty people, and after 1935 there were no people reported living there. (Info from The Islands of Bonavista Bay by John Feltham)


Calves Island

An island in Bonavista Bay. No further information available at this time.


Castle Cove

Castle Cove - A small fishing settlement in the district of Bonavista. Distant from King's Cove by road 7 1/2 miles. Mail weekly. Population 70. (Lovell's for 1871)


Clode Sound

Recorded in the McAlpine's 1898 Directory. No further information available at this time.


Cobbler's Island

Cobbler's Island - An island to the north side of Bonavista bay...Distant from Greenspond 10 miles by boat. Mail fortnightly. Population 97. (Lovell's, 1871)


Dancing Cove

Recorded in the McAlpine's 1898 Directory. No further information available at this time.


Dog Cove

Lovell's 1871 Directory - Dog Cove

DOG COVE - A small fishing settlement on Cotterell's Island, with a fair harbour, district of Bonavista. Distant form Barrow Harbour by boat 8 miles. Mail fortnightly. Population 57


English Harbour, Greenspond

Lovell's 1871 Directory - English Harbor (Bonavista)

ENGLISH HARBOR (Bonavista) - A small fishing settlement on Greenspond Island, district of Bonavista. Distant from Greenspond by road 1 mile. Mail fortnightly. Population 78.


Flipper's Cove

Recorded in the McAlpine's 1898 Directory. No further information available at this time.


Flowers Island

Lovell's 1871 Directory - Flowers Island

FLOWERS ISLAND - An island on the north side of Bonavista Bay, district of Bonavista. Distant from Greensburgh 9 miles by boat. Mail fortnightly. Population 82. (Note: Greensburgh is most likely a mistake and should have been Greenspond.)


Fox Cove

Fox Cove was renamed Templeman


Groats Island

Groats Island -An island on the north side of Bonavista Bay. Distant from Greenspond 1/2 mile. Mail fortnightly. Population 45 (Lovell's, 1871)


Hay Cove, Freshwater Bay

Hay Cove -an abandoned settlement in Freshwater Bay. Land grants show that many of the settlers moved to the Gambo area.


Indian Arm

Lovell's 1871 Directory - Indian Arm

INDIAN ARM - A fishing settlement on the south side of Bonavista Bay, district of Bonavista. It has a good harbor. Distant from Plate Cove by road 6 miles. Population 220.


Inner Islands

Lovell's 1871 Directory - Inner Islands

INNER ISLANDS - A group of islands on the north side of Bonavista Bay, district of Bonavista. They are difficult to access. Distant from Greenspond 10 miles by boat. Mail fortnightly. Population 141.


Kuts

1864 Hutchinson's Directory for Bonavista Bay District Kuts is listed. Under the HEADING:

KING'S COVE (Bonavista) are the following: King's Cove, Broad Cove, Kuts, Open Hall, Plate Cove, Salvage, and Tickle Cove There are four names listed for Kuts: BERRIGAN, Martin, cooper, COFFIN, Samuel, teacher, EAGAN, James, merchant, and MURPHY, Stephen, merchant. It is possible that this should have been recorded as Keels.


Lewis Island

An island in Bonavista Bay. No further information available at this time.


Little Denier

Recorded in the McAlpine's 1898 Directory. No further information available at this time.


Little Harbor

Lovell's 1871 Directory - Little Harbor

LITTLE HARBOR - A small fishing settlement on the west side of Bonavista Bay, district of Bonavista. Distant from Harrow Harbour 1 1/2 miles by road. Mail weekly. Population 12.


Loo Cove

Loo Cove, later Port Nelson - abandoned settlement on the mainland side of Pond Tickle (near Greenspond).


Loon Cove

Recorded in the 1911 Census as Loon Cove, the 1921 Census records these families as living in Loo Cove. Later renamed Port Nelson - an abandoned community


Middle Bill Cove

Lovell's 1871 Directory - Middle Bill Cove

MIDDLE BILL COVE - The most northerly settlement, district of Bonavista, situated close to Cape Freels. Distant from Greenspond 15 miles by boat. Mail fortnightly. Population 161.


North Island, Flat Islands

An island in Bonavista Bay. No further information available at this time.


Northwest Arm

Northwest Arm resettled to Valleyfield area.


Pickle Cove (?)

1864 - 65 Directory - Pickle Cove is listed with this listing:

Candow David J.P., merchant, Connors James, cooper, Connors Timothy, cooper, Connors Timothy jun, cooper, Skiffington John, constable and teacher. It appears that this would likely have been Tickle Cove.


Red Cliff (Island)

Lovell's 1871 Directory - Red Cliff Island

RED CLIFF ISLAND - A small fishing settlement in Bonavista Bay, district of Bonavista. Distance from Tickle Cove by boat 2 miles. Mail weekly. Population 90.


Salvage Bay

What is now EASTPORT was originally Salvage Bay, first settled in the early 1860's. It was called Salvage Bay (and occasionally Salvage New) in some of the records until about 1910 (not sure of this date) when an application was made to have the community called Brighton (after the English resort town) because of its beaches. However the application was turned down because there was already a Brighton in Notre Dame Bay. The name Brighton was used for several years, reverted to Salvage Bay and eventually was called Eastport in the 1930's.

Contributed by Roy Babstock


Salvage

A fishing settlement on the west side of Bonavista Bay, ... Distant from Open Hall by boat 16 miles. Mail weekly. Population 497. (Lovell's, 1871)


Shoe Cove

Shoe Cove, Bonavista Bay (pop.1891, 34). An abandoned fishing community, Shoe Cove was located approximately 5 km southwest of Greenspond, just west of Shoe Cove Point.... Heads of households noted in Lovell's Directory,(1871) were William Collins, Mrs. Susan Collins and Samuel Collins, Jr.....Other family names associated with the tiny community include Hunt, Keats and Parsons. Shoe Cove would appear to have been abandoned in the early 1900s, although some residents...continued to use summer fishing premises there up until the 1930s.(Ency. of NF and LB)


Ship Island, Greenspond

Lovell's 1871 Directory - Ship Island

SHIP ISLAND - An island on the north side of Bonavista Bay, district of Bonavista. Distant from Greenspond by boat 1/2 mile. Mail fortnightly. Population 142.


Sidney Cove

Sidney Cove was on Pork Island - part of the Fair Islands. (Now abandoned.)


Sloop's Run

Recorded in the McAlpine's 1898 Directory. No further information available at this time.


Smart's Island

Lovell's 1871 Directory - Smart's Island

SMART'S ISLAND - A small island on the north side of Bonavista Bay in the district of Bonavista. Distant from Greenspond 1 mile.


Squid Tickle, Alexander Bay

In 1921, the three settlements of Squid Tickle, Hollett's Tickle, and Hollett's Cove were changed to Burnside.


Thimble Cove, Alexander Bay

Recorded in the McAlpine's 1898 Directory. No further information available at this time.


Troytown

Troytown was renamed Traytown


Valleyfield

Badger's Quay - Valleyfield-Pool's Island - Pop. 1976, 1468. An incorporated community, in 1946, composed of Valleyfield, Pool's Island, North West Arm, Southwest Island and Tinker's Island and the resettled community of Safe Harbour. (Info from the Enc. of NF and LAB) NB (Since then the above settlements have incorporated with Brookfield, Wesleyville, Pound Cove, Templeman, and Newtown. While the towns maintain their original names the Town Council is under the name New- Wes-Valley.


Willis Island

An island in Bonavista Bay. No further information available at this time.


Interesting note from The Islands of Bonavista Bay by John Feltham


In 1836 , there were sixteen inhabited islands (in Bonavista North) Their names and populations are as follows:

Flat Island 26, Gooseberry Island 97, Deer Island 36, Silver Island 9, Fair Islands 105, Smart Island 8, Greenspond 751, Fool's (Pool's) Island 112, Swains' Island 85, Cobbler's Island 46, Pinchard's Island 163, Puffin Island 16, Pouch Island 36, Bennet's Island 15, Flower's Island 26, and Cape Island 100.

Page Transcribed and Contributed by: Donna Randell, Emily Wicks, Bill and Martha Warren.
Page revised: August 2002 (Terry Piercey)

Recent Updates Contact Us


Search through the whole site
Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!
www.downhomer.com
by Downhomer.com
JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form for any purpose other than personal use.

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2013)