To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
History of BIDE ARM HARBOUR
(formerly known as BIDES ARM HARBOUR)
Canada Bay, District of St. Barbe
by Ivan George CANNING
Beginning in the late 1800s and continuing until about 1927 the area presently occupied by the new Community of Bide Arm was a wintering site for many residents of Englee. In October of each year these people piled their possessions aboard boats and transported them to Bides Arm. This was repeated in May when they loaded everything on komatiks (as many as seven or eight dog teams were in use at any given time) and returned to Englee to start the fishing season.
During their winter stay at Bides Arm, they would be visited twice by a doctor (including Dr. Grenfell) and a dentist. Esau Fillier had built a clinic and waiting room area onto his house, and his wife Emma took care of the doctor and dentist as well as other medical matters free of cost. In most instances the medical services were adequate. However, one woman died, and because there was no space available in the house for the body, and the weather being bad, it was placed in canvas under a boat for a week until the weather improved and it could be taken to Englee for burial.
Because there were no stores at the settlement of Bides Arm, everyone brought what they needed in October. If a person "ran out" of supplies, there were no more available. Nothing was wasted. You wouldn't find many empty cans lying around all winter. There were hard times but they were good times as well. Everybody was happy and helped each other. However, we should be thankful that we no longer suffer the hardships of these early settlers.
Note: Mr. Canning was born May 13, 1913, the son of John and Jessie CANNING. He now resides in Roddickton. He married Mertle FILLIER who was born Sept. 10, 1914 to Esau and Emma Canning FILLIER. Emma and Esau built a clinic onto their house at Bide Arm and Emma was the nurse who worked with Dr. Grenfell when he came to Englee. Emma and Esau had 2 daughters, Mertle and Silvia.
BIDES ARM SETTLEMENT circa 1920
The above map was prepared and contributed by Ivan Canning.
|House #||Surname||Given Name||Additional descripton or comments|
|Shore line: Starting at the east side (bottom right side of map) and
moving around the Harbour. Houses 1 to 12 are located to the far east and are in
a cluster. There is a large dock and noted on the dock is "Master builder
William HOPKINS Constructed the 150 ton "EMMA WHITE" here in 1917".
|The next houses are just a short way around the habour,
along the foot path, and in a row
|17||JOHNSON||Nat||behind Nat's house there is a well. Behind the well is
the Salvation Army Church and School
|18||Salvation Army Quarters|
|30||Large work shed|
|Slipway, running into the water, to launch boats. Noted in the shipway
"Constructed here was the 190 ton Nellie Reeves and three-mast Armistice
(over 300 tons) so named because her keel was laid November 11, 1918. Master
ship builder was William HOPKINS."
|Another well, and just behind Charles Hopkins house is
the U.C. School ( United Church )
|Path branching to west (left on map) with three houses|
|Starting behind the UC School and continuing along
the foot path away from the harbour
|37||COMPTON||John||north side of foot path|
|38||FILLIER||Isaac||north side of foot path|
|39||FILLIER||Henry||north side of foot path|
|40||FILLIER||Walter||north side of foot path|
|41||NEWMAN||John||south side of foot path|
|42||FILLIER||Esau||south side of foot path, this house was also a doctor's clinic|
|43||FILLIER||William||south side of foot path|
|44||FILLIER||Albert||north side of foot path|
|45||DENNY||Matthew||south side of foot path|
|46||REID||W.G.||south side of foot path|
|47||LANE||John||south side of foot path|
|48||WILCOX||John||south side of foot path|
|49||CANNING||John||south side of foot path|
|50||GILLARD||Fred||north side of foot path|
|51||GILLARD||Job||south side of foot path|
|53||WILCOX||Soloman||south side of foot path|
|54||CANNING||Zachariah||north side of foot path|
|55||REEVES||Isaac||north side of foot path|
|56||COMPTON||Elijah||north side of foot path|
|57||BARNES||Frank||north side of foot path|
|58||CANNING||Simon||north side of foot path|
|59||COMPTON||Josiah||north side of foot path|
|60||COMPTON||Thomas||north side of foot path|
|61||COMPTON||Thomas||north side of foot path|
|62||COMPTON||Lewis||north side of foot path|
|63||HANCOCK||Thomas||north side of foot path|
|64||WEIR||Nathaniel||north side of foot path|
|65||COMPTON||Harriet||south side of foot path|
|66||HANCOCK||Fred Sr||north side of foot path|
|67||REID||William||north side of foot path|
|68||REID||Eli||north side of foot path|
|69||FILLIER||Jacob||north side of foot path|
|70||CANNING||William||north side of foot path|
Submitted by Daphne Duffy and Linda Elkins-Schmitt
Page Revised: February - 2003 (Don Tate)
|Recent Updates||Contact Us|
Your Community, Online!
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2017)