Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Coady/Fardy/Doody
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:30 pm 

I am seeking information regarding my family. Harold Coady was my grandfather and he married Mary Doody. Their families are from the Newfoundland, Catalina, Barvista, St Johns, Nova Scotia, Harbor Main area(s) mainly. My grandparents resided in East Boston MA, which is where my mother, her siblings, and myself were born. My grandfathers parents were Joseph Coady and Anastasia Fardy. My grandmothers parents were Thomas and Frances Doody (Maiden name unknown @ this time). I am very anxious to track my family history. Our branch of the Coady name is quickly becoming extinct. I really want to capture as much information as possible. I have gathered alot thus far but am still missing so much. I am especially interested in finding any information about two of my great uncles, Albert Coady and Frank (Frances) Coady. I have them up until the 1930/40 in Boston and New York but have not been able to find anything past that. I do know that both returned to Canada, quite possibly the Nova Scotia area. Any assistance would be so very much appreciated. Thank you

Post subject: Re: Coady/Fardy/Doody
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 pm 

I have Mary Fardy [1827-1916] from Harbour Main married to John Kennedy then John Lewis.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:29 pm 

I too have Mary Fardy 1827 Chapels Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada-passed on July 26 1916. I have also found John Kennedy, but I have two notated...first being 1782 of Harbour Main and the second being abt 1820 Chapels Cove. I have other Fardy's as well-2 Anastasia's, 2 Constance's, Elizabeth, Ellen, John, Lawrence, Margaret, Mary, Mortimer, and Patrick.
Dare I say we are looking at the same family history??? :) I hope hopeful here....

Post Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:26 pm 

[quote="Ljourdan_69"]I too have Mary Fardy 1827 Chapels Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada-passed on July 26 1916. I have also found John Kennedy, but I have two notated...first being 1782 of Harbour Main and the second being abt 1820 Chapels Cove. I have other Fardy's as well-2 Anastasia's, 2 Constance's, Elizabeth, Ellen, John, Lawrence, Margaret, Mary, Mortimer, and Patrick.
Dare I say we are looking at the same family history??? :) I hope hopeful here....[/quote

Hi, my maternal family is the same John Kennedy and Mary Fardy.
I have some info on both,is there anything you are looking for ?
Just ask I'll see what I can pass on to you.
Sharon

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:11 pm 

I also have a lot of information about these families.
Please contact via email. I am happy to share whatever I have.

Michelle
ladynewfie at gmail dot com

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:00 pm 

I know of a francis coady from thorold ontario. my husbands family is a direct line from him. if you find a date for him we can try to match it up. if you google the sanford family history they have a section about the coady family. it may be worth checking it out.

melodie maddock
maddogs01@sympatico.ca

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:49 pm 

The only information I currently have on "our" Francis Coady is he was born August 13 1914, Harbor Main Newfoundland. He is one of 7 boys born to William Joseph Coady and Anastasia Fardy. He was known to check himself in and our of various medical facilities mainly for mental stability issues (not sure exactly what at this time). He was last known to have checked himself into and out of Bellevue Mental Hospital in New York in the 1950's. It is thought that he returned to the Nova Scotia area where his brother Albert was. It is believed he never married or had children but cannot be 100% confirmed.
Thank you for the information and if we can match it up, that would be wonderful...this man has certainly turned into a mystery for many. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:11 pm 

Hi there ! Would you happen to know if you have a John Coady and Katherine Pine in your tree? If so, do you have any additional information? My grandmother was a Catherine Mackey (nee Coady). I am mostly looking for info on her parents, but anything helps !

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:30 pm 

LindaKean wrote:
Hi there ! Would you happen to know if you have a John Coady and Katherine Pine in your tree? If so, do you have any additional information? My grandmother was a Catherine Mackey (nee Coady). I am mostly looking for info on her parents, but anything helps !

Linda do you have any further information on these individuals? Birth, death, place of birth etc?

Michelle

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:32 pm 

A good September morning to you :D
As of this time, I have not come across a John Coady or Katherine Pine in my searches. This does not rule them out of the family lineage of course. I have spent a majority of my time specifically searching for Albert, Frank, and Laura Coady. I am hopeful to expand my searches into others here within the coming months. The three aforementioned have proven to be very challenging to locate. I have not had much success so I feel it may be time to move on and hopefully in my other searches I will stumble upon additional information. Now that summer has come to an end and the cold winter months are quickly creeping up, I will be in hibernation mode and have more time to continue my family searches. Should I happen upon either of these names, I will most certainly be back in touch ;)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:21 pm 

Ljourdan_69 wrote:
A good September morning to you :D
As of this time, I have not come across a John Coady or Katherine Pine in my searches. This does not rule them out of the family lineage of course. I have spent a majority of my time specifically searching for Albert, Frank, and Laura Coady. I am hopeful to expand my searches into others here within the coming months. The three aforementioned have proven to be very challenging to locate. I have not had much success so I feel it may be time to move on and hopefully in my other searches I will stumble upon additional information. Now that summer has come to an end and the cold winter months are quickly creeping up, I will be in hibernation mode and have more time to continue my family searches. Should I happen upon either of these names, I will most certainly be back in touch ;)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:43 pm 

Hi.
I am new at this so please be patient with me.
I am of Fardy ancestry too--from Chapel's Cove.
My grandmother was Elizabeth and had sisters: Anastasia married a man Coady but I do not have his first name. They did live in the US--Mass. or NY. I met an Albert Coady in the early1970's in Halifax, NS. He and his wife had a little confectionery store on South Street. That block of buildings has since been removed and condos built there. He was my father's first cousin. They met when my parents came to visit me in Halifax while I was a student there. That's all I can tell you about the Coadys.
I have an elderly aunt who may be able to provide more info. I will consult with her again to discuss this. I am quite confident that is the Albert Coady you are seeking. I don't know anything else about his whereabouts, or descendants.
I saw you have been in contact with ladynewfie. She is the daughter of my first cousin.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:44 pm 

Hi.
I am new at this so please be patient with me.
I am of Fardy ancestry too--from Chapel's Cove.
My grandmother was Elizabeth and had sisters: Anastasia married a man Coady but I do not have his first name. They did live in the US--Mass. or NY. I met an Albert Coady in the early1970's in Halifax, NS. He and his wife had a little confectionery store on South Street. That block of buildings has since been removed and condos built there. He was my father's first cousin. They met when my parents came to visit me in Halifax while I was a student there. That's all I can tell you about the Coadys.
I have an elderly aunt who may be able to provide more info. I will consult with her again to discuss this. I am quite confident that is the Albert Coady you are seeking. I don't know anything else about his whereabouts, or descendants.
I saw you have been in contact with ladynewfie. She is the daughter of my first cousin.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:08 pm 

Well Hello Catlady~
We are indeed talking about the same family. Ladynewfie and I have been in touch and in fact are now "friends on facebook". We have exchanged some information and photos. Anastasia Fardy is my great grandmother. I would most definitely welcome any information you may have on Albert. I do know he was married for a short time and did indeed own a store. I do not have much more information other than that. I do know that he passed away due to complications from a car accident. I would LOVE to be able to find out anything and everything I could about him prior to that. I am also seeking information on Albert's brother, Frank, who may have lived in the area of Halifax around the same time as Albert. Anastasia married Joseph Coady. They lived for a period of time not only in the Canadian provinces but settled in Boston Mass. If you have any information on the Fardy's or Coady's that you are able and willing to share, myself and Ladynewfie I am sure, are more than happy to recieve it...and happy to share as well ;)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:35 pm 

Hi again,
I don't have any more info. on Albert Coady other than what I wrote earlier.
I will consult my elderly aunt--my father's youngest sister--who is 92 and very sharp. She, however, is not always willing to share family history, especially if it is anyway negative. I will consult our cousin-her daughter--who can usually manage to get some info. from her.
Do you have names for all the Fardy sibs. from that time? I think there were at least two lines of Fardys and they shared the same Christian names. Very confusing.
I don't do Facebook but the above mentioned cousin does. Ladynewfie has been in contact with her in the past about our common families.
Catlady
PS I don't know anything about Francis Coady. Will ask auntie about him also

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:34 pm 

Hello--I read these older posts with interest as I am related to the Fardy (and Doody) families. My 2x great grandmother was Margaret Fardy, brother of the Lawrence Fardy born in 1844. She married William Crawley. Thus, her daughter Mary Ann Crawley was a first cousin to Lawrence's children Anastasia, Elizabeth, etc. She lived in Chapel's Cove and married James Hawco who died around 1912 leaving her to raise 4 girls. Her daughter Sarah Josephine Hawco (b. 1899) moved to Boston permanently around 1930 with her husband Peter McGuire (from Torbay). I wonder if they kept up with any of their Fardy relatives who were also in Boston? Any memories of socializing with McGuires in Boston, or visits from them in Nfld? I know they occasionally went back up to visit in the 1950's.

My other question is verifying just who were Lawrence Fardy's (b. 1844) parents. Were they Anastasia Connell and Lawrence Fardy? Was Lawrence born in Nfld. or County Wexford, Ireland?

Thank you for any insights!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:52 pm 

Hello there. I know this thread is old, but I have an interest in Coady/Doody surnames as well, due to DNA matches to some descendants of Coadys (not Harold, though) and Doodys. In any event, Harold Coady's wife was Mary Doody. And her parents were Thomas Doody and Frances NOWLAN. I'm a direct descendant of Nowlans/Nolans of Catalina, but I haven't figured out yet if she's connected. (I suspect she is...) At the moment, therefore, I don't know her parents.

The Doody family was from Ragged Harbour, later known as Melrose.

Thomas Doody's parents were Richard Doody (b 1841, d 1919 Melrose, Trinity Bay) and Ellen Cotter (b 1848 Ragged Harbour, one of 6 children born to Edward Cotter and Mary Aylward, d before 1919). They were married Nov 25, 1871, Trinity Bay.

A notice in the St John's Daily Star indicates Richard Doody had five children. These are Mary Doody Daley (husband Michael, 1921 census Melrose, Nfld) -- Thomas Doody (1921 census Melrose, Nfld) -- Patrick Doody (d 1942 Somerville Mass, 1st wife Jennie Maloney, 2nd wife Mary Mason) -- Julia Ann Doody Nolan (husband Robert, 1945 census Catalina, Nfld) -- and Bridget Doody Maloney (husband Albert) (d 1964 Somerville Mass).

I hope this helps you in your research!

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames