Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Stanley family of Hants Hr
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:25 pm 

Hi listers

Wondering if anyone knows the parents of JOHN STANLEY (married Martha Unknown) and had Eli

Stanley born 1829 Hants Hr, and of WILLIAM STANLEY (married Susannah Unknown ) and had Levi 1827, William 1832, Mary 1835, Jane Ann 1838, Richard 1840, Keziah 1844 and Edward 1858?

Were John and William brothers? Were they born in England or Newfoundland?\

Any help appreciated

Jill Marshall

St Johns

Post subject: Re: Stanley family of Hants Hr
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:12 pm 

`Hi
I don't know if I can answer any of your questions, but i too is a descendant of the Stanley and would like to know more. Eli Stanley died May 5 1922 he was 95 and Levi died April 27 1920. both in Clarenville. My Great Grandmother Catherine Stanley married William James Ellis, also from Hant's Harbor, settled in George's Brook. unsure if her father was Eli or Levi. There is a group on Face Book of the Ellis and Stanley families named George's brook memories of the past. you can Email me at lucindageorge2004@yahoo.ca

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:33 pm 

hi Lucinda

I will email you shortly

Jill Marshall

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm 

Hi There,

I have a relation to a Theresa Stanley (possibly her middle name) born somewhere between 1850-1860. Does anyone have any information on a Theresa Stanley possibly born to Eli, Levi or William Stanley? She is extremely difficult to trace and nobody in the family has much information on her. I found some evidence that she may have had a couple of illegitimite children in the late 1870's. Oral family history says she married Thomas Jacobs and their children are listed as Jessie, Susanna (my great-grandmother), Agnes (married George Osmond), and William (and possibly another daughter Maryann). Thomas died in the early 1890's when he fell into the cold water while cleaning his boat and caught pneumonia. There is evidence to suggest she married William Butt and had one more son Joseph George Butt. Also evidence to suggest she lived with a Samuel Stanley in St. John's on Water Street after she was widowed.
Lucinda George and I have a connection (possibly second or third cousins) on Ancestry DNA.
What I would really like is a picture of her if at all possible. Any help or information you can provide would be amazing!
Thanks,

Noelle

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:11 pm 

Hello there,

I’m also researching the Stanley’s as Richard Stanley is my great great grandfather.
Would love to connect or touch base.
My early work has William and Levi as brothers of Richard and their father also being a William.
But I’m still working on finding more confirmable details.
I do have a picture of Richard that I got from a relative in Shoal Harbour. Going to visit Hants Harbour this summer as well and do some cemetery skulking :)

Suzanne Stanley
Innisfil ON

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:40 pm 

Hi Suzanne!
The Stanley's seem to be a very hard genealogy to trace from way out here in Ontario. I think you are on the right track going there to get the goods! :) I have definitely been trying to find more info on my Great-Great Grandmother Theresa Stanley (Theresa may have been her middle name) I would love to find a picture of her. If you come across anything in your travels would you be willing to share that information with me please and thank you?

Best Regards,

Noelle

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...