Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Re: Penney, Harvey, Butt, Taylor, Sheppard, Nichol, Tremills, Hudson Families
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:06 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thanks Edward. I used Ancestry and never came up with the records at all, not even Arthur Abraham's death record. The first marriage dates are a bit odd, but since they were filed under the year 1917, maybe the 21 Dec 1917 date should apply.

Had to work this weekend and so did not get a chance to check on any the rest.

Post subject: Re: Penney, Harvey, Butt, Taylor, Sheppard, Nichol, Tremills, Hudson Families
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:53 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Edward ~ I still do not know your full name!

I've been going over the will of Elizabeth Chafe (married John Tremills), trying to sort out the various relationships. I know Mary Tremills married a Lee and had at least 2 children - William Lee & Susanna Lee - but have not been able to find the marriage or baptisms yet. Do you know who Mary Tremills married?

Elizabeth also refers to "Nancy Martin" & "Mary Hex" as daughters of James Tremills (that would be John's brother). But I do not know if "Martin" & "Hex" refers to a second name or a married name. Any ideas?

By the way, I am Trishe Willis!

Post subject: Tremills Family
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:59 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Elizabeth Tremill's will is a genealogist's dream. It clearly identifies
her family and that of her husband.

John William Tremills (1867-1941) was the son of Ralph Tremills
and Lucilla Chafe. His step-father Emanuel Chafe was Elizabeth's
nephew, and John William was her husband's grand-nephew.

Mary Tremills, daughter of Nathaniel Tremills and Ann Chafe,
married William Lee on 25 June 1835.

Mary Tremills (1848-1916), daughter of James Tremills and Alice
Satturley, married Edwin Hext. The 1881 census reveals that her
widowed mother Alice resided with her family at Levsdon, Devon.
Nancy Tremills, also a child of James Tremills and Alice Satturley.
married Thomas Pearce Martin.

By the way, I am a Chafe so after 300 years I'm just about related
to everyone in Petty Harbour.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:12 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Edward:

Elizabeth's will is probably one of the best I have seen. It provided a wealth of information.

You have already answered my next question, which was why Elizabeth (Chafe) Tremills was directing where Alice Satterley Tremills grandchildren were to live. I knew Alice was still alive but the fact that she was living in England explains things. Am I correct to assume that both Mary & Nancy resided in England?

This is my husband's tree that I am attempting to do for our children and relatives. His mother was Annie Pridham from Petty Harbour; her parents were Philip Pridham and Bridget Chafe. Bridget was from the following line: Daniel > William Bond > Thomas > Edward > Edward > John > John.

The Pridham line in Petty Harbour is much shorter - Philip > William > James - but ties in with the Doyle, Constantine, Kieley families of Petty Harbour. I guess they ended up on both sides of the Harbour, but lived in the middle! I have a picture from this past summer of the foundation which is all that is left of Philip & Bridget's house.

Nice to meet you!

Post subject: Chafe Family
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:27 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Richard Allen's will is the bast I have seen. He clearly identifies
most of the descendants of Henry and Elizabeth Chafe.

Perhaps you could help me with the family of William Bond Chafe
and Margaret Bridget Scanlan. I have a lot of information but I
lack confirmation that it is correct.

Who were the parents of Margaret Scanlan and Anne Power?
I was told the Power family contacted the Chafes to have them
sign off a claim on land in Carbonear.

Did the eldest son Thomas Chafe marry Mary Croft in 1885?

Did daughter Mary Chafe (1868) marry?

What do you know about William Lambert Chafe (1858-1931)?
I was told that after he left Newfoundland he was in prison in
New York. From what I've heard he was a colourful character.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:29 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Richard Allen's will was indeed a treasure. I wish more of them were so detailed.

Margaret Bridget Scanlan's (1828 -18 Dec 1904 St. John's, Buried Belvedere Cem) parents were John Scanlan 1787 - 6 Aug 1840 St. John's) & Margaret Murphy (abt 1790 - Mar 1928 St. John's). John Scanlan was the son of Daniel Scanlan of Ireland & Alice MacDonald (widow) of Mallow, Cork, Ireland, married 30 Nov 1778 St. John's.

I have been unable to identify Ann Power's parents. I know she was from Carbonear - the family bible says so, as did the family "elders", but no one knew hew parents. I was not aware of the story of the sign-off on land in Carbonear - thank you.

William Bond (4 Sep 1834 Petty Harbour - 24 May 1903 St. John's, Buried in Petty Harbour) had a pub in Petty Harbour (at the the intersection of the Southside Rd & the one leading to the Northside), then moved to the Goulds (opposite forest Pond) where he briefly had another pub (bad place for an Anglican-married-to-a Catholic to open a pub!). He then opened a pub at 390 Water St. in St. John's.

Thomas Chafe, the eldest son of William Bond & Margaret, married Mary (Margaret) Croft 18 Nov 1885. They adopted a son, Augustus, born July 1910, who married Margaret Williams.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:41 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

William Bond & Margaret didn't have a daughter, just the 3 boys.

Daniel Chafe (9 Apr 1857 Petty Harbour - 11 Nov 1923 Petty Harbour, Buried Petty Harbour RC) married 19 Dec 1880 Ann Power (abt 1852 Carbonear - 14 Mar 1913 Petty Harbour, Buried Old RC Cem, Petty Harbour). 7 children.

Daniel Chafe married2 8 Jan 1916 Mary Jane Stack, widow of Thomas Lovett, d/o Richard Stack & Mary Wall.

Now, William Lambert "Uncle Lamb" Chafe - there was a real character! I haven't found any prison records for him but the first two women in his life were glad when he cleared out.

William Lambert had a child, Margaret, born 25 Jan 1884, with Bridget Hannon (?).

He then married 10 Sep 1884 Ellen Hinchy. They had 6 children. She later married Anton Turgeson in 1906 and they moved to Detroit. I have more on them.

More to come on William Lambert.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:59 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Sorry Edward, my husband needed the computer.

William Lambert Chafe (16 Sep 1860 Petty Harbour - 1931 MA) kept stating on the Census Records takers that he immigrated to Massachusetts in 1888, an obviously lie as he was still in Newfoundland conceiving children with Ellen Hincy in 1899!

The first US record I found has him living in South Boston in 1905. In the 1910 Boston Census, both William Lambert and his new wife, Margaret Corballis, stated that they had been married for 7 years. They eventually had at least 5 children.

William Lambert worked as a Labourer when he first arrived in Boston and gained employment as a Longshoreman at the Commonwealth Piers. By 1924, he was a General Foreman and living in Braintree, Boston. In 1930, he lists his occupation as Foreman, Steamshop, so I am not sure if he was still at the Piers or not. His son, Thomas, was a Clerk in the Steamshop. William Lambert & Margaret are listed in the 1931 Braintree City Directory, still residing at 82 Argyle Rd.

There are no obviously gaps in employment, although I do not have records for every year. But since he does appear to have continued working at the Commonwealth Piers, I doubt if he actually was in Prison, at least not for anything too serious.

I have more on his wife and children, if you are interested.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:19 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thanks for all the information. I suspect Lambert Chafe may not have been the
father of all of Ellen Hinchey's children. Have you located the birth certificates
for Violet and Cecil Chafe?

I have detailed information regarding the family of Lambert Chafe and Margaret
Corballis. However I cannot locate a marriage record for this couple.

Post subject: William Bond Chafe
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:03 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I have re-examined my notes and I have different
dates for the children of William and Margaret Chafe:

Thomas Chafe, born August 1855, bapt. 5 August 1855
William Lambert Chafe, bapt. 10 March 1858

While living in Boston, Lambert used several different
birth dates which were a decade off his baptism.

I have daughter Mary is being baptized 11 June 1868,
and her Godparents were Lawrence Kielly (her uncle)
and Mary Kennedy.

Did Mary J. (Stack) Chafe pass away on 19 August 1936?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:07 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Your date for Thomas is more than likely to be the correct one. I have no accesss to the Petty Harbour RC Records.

The birthdate for William Lambert I got from Carmel Stack.

William Lambert used a lot of different dates for a lot of things!

I have no birth or baptismal record for Cecil, just his Border Crossing 1924 & the 1930 Census. I have no Violet.

For Gerald Leonard, I have his WWI attestation Papers and his California Death Record, both of which give his birth as 12 Aug 1897.

I have not yet located a marriage record for William Lambert & Margaret Corballis.

According to Carmel Stack's information, Mary Jane Stack Lovett Chafe died 22 Dec 1928.

Daughter Mary Chafe of William Bond & Margaret - you are likely correct. As I said, i have no means of accessing the Petty Harbour RC records.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:09 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Edward, if I have some Chafe questions, and I always do!, would it be possible for me to contact you through email? I don't want to do it without your permission.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:25 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Yes, you can e-mail. Please be patient with receiving my responses as I busy
doing assessments and writing report cards.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:14 pm 

Hi Folks;

I've read all the posts and see no mention of any Sheppards. Does anyone here have Sheppard connections? Would like to compare notes with anyone who does.

Regards,
Marj

Post subject: Re: Penney, Harvey, Butt, Taylor, Sheppard, Nichol, Tremills
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:17 am 

I am looking for the children of Isa (nee Knowles) Sheppard. Isa was born Edinburgh, Scotland. Married her husband c1950's. Moved to Newfoundland with him shortly after, his name John Sheppard. Her mothers name was Jessie Knowles, my grandmother. Isa my Aunt.
I was led to believe the Sheppard family were of Jehovah Witness faith.
Names of some children, Jerry junior, Eileen, John Jnr and Suzy Sheppard.

Thanks for any help in locating any of them would be great.

Reg Knowles

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:17 am 

I am looking for the children of Isa (nee Knowles) Sheppard. Isa was born Edinburgh, Scotland. Married her husband c1950's. Moved to Newfoundland with him shortly after, his name John Sheppard. Her mothers name was Jessie Knowles, my grandmother. Isa my Aunt.
I was led to believe the Sheppard family were of Jehovah Witness faith.
Names of some children, Jerry junior, Eileen, John Jnr and Suzy Sheppard.

Thanks for any help in locating any of them would be great.

Reg Knowles

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:11 pm 

I am the grandson of Sayde Mae Bussey (father Abraham Arthur Bussey, mother Sarah Jane Mills). I have been researching this line for several years and am coming to St. John's this coming August.

Based on the Death Certificate I obtained in New York City for Abraham Bussey, his father was Joseph Bussey and Charlott (Charlotte?) Bartlett, both of St John's. Using this sites information, I have unable to find any records directly relating to this Bussey/Bartlett union.

I also cannot find any other children from the Bussey/Bartlett line other than my great-grandfather.

I would love any tips/ideas on where to look for my trip next month.

Also, you will find all of this documented in Ancestry.com by looking at the HOBANWASS line.

Bruce Hoban

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:33 am 

Hi Penney, Who are your Taylor family members and where are they from?
regards, Anne

Penguin54 wrote:
Good Morning,

My name is Penney Harvey Stevens. I was born in Nova Scotia of Newfoundland parents - I am very proud of my Newfoundland heritage! I have been interested (some say obsessed) in genealogy for many, many years. Even though I am currently working on the Tremills, Nichol, Hudson, Taylor, Harvey, Butt families, I would love to hear from anyone interested in chatting about any Newfoundland genealogy.

Penney
North York, Ontario

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:47 pm 

marjwolfe wrote:
Penney,

I have been researching my Sheppard family for a few years now. You mentioned having Sheppard connections. I would like to know which Sheppard family you are associated with. We might share some of the same ancestors.

Marj

Hi Marj,
I have Shepherd connections and would be interested to share information with you.
Thanks,
Natasha

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:31 pm 

Mills/Tremills of Petty Harbor
Avis Mills was my Great Great Grandmother. My mother Gertrude Jane Drew née Williams of Bay Bulls always said her surname was really Tremills. I believe you can see this played out on the Grand Banks site where you can see both Mills and Tremills in the same family.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:21 pm 

You also wrote of the Family Pregnell. In family bible George Pregnell married Mary Ann Tremills on 19 Mar 1851. I have see. Her name as Mary Ann, Marianne, and Mary Hannah. They had 3 children:
Hannah Hext 20 Jul 1852 born at Petty Harbour
Mary Ann 29 Oct 1857 born at St John’s
William Thomas 36 Oct 1860 born at St John’s
The next time I find them is 11 Aug 2870
George, daughter Mary Ann and William show up in California. I believe it is them because their birth country is given as Newfoundland.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames