Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Nathaniel Miller Family
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:35 pm 

I am researching my maternal grandmother’s family from the Portugal Cove area. Her name was Ellen Ann (Miller) Parrell, daughter of Nathaniel and Kate (? Catherine) Miller. She was born and died in Boston. I know little about her parents, siblings, or relatives, and am looking for any information relating to our family’s history in Newfoundland. I would also be happy to hear from any of my Miller relatives. Thank you! Kathleen McManus Allen - Worcester, Massachusetts, USA.

Post subject: Re: Nathaniel Miller Family
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:28 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

James J Parrell, aged 25 years, son of Thomas Parrell and McGrath, married Ellen A. Miller, aged 22 years, daughter of Nathaniel Miller and Catherine Lawler in Boston on 11 September 1917.

Nathaniel Miller, aged 24 years, son of John Miller and Elizabeth Harding, married Catherine Lawlor, aged 24 years, daughter of Martin Lawlor and Ellen Abbott at Ware on 30 April 1892.

Catherine was baptized at Portugal Cove, Newfoundland on 6 June 1867.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:02 pm 

Thank you Edward! I appreciate your research and very helpful information! May I ask if you are located in the US or Newfoundland?
I’m surprised that Nathaniel ended up in Ware, Mass. and not the Boston area, as it was rather rural compared to Boston. Whatever the circumstances were, it gives me another area in which to search records.
Thank you,
Kathy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:09 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Many Newfoundlanders went to places like Blackstone, Maynard, and Ware to work in the mills. Catherine resided in Ware at the time of her marriage and Nathaniel was residing at East Boston which had a large Newfoundland population.

Catherine Lawlor was likely born at Horse Cove, which is now called St. Thomas. Her father Martin is listed as a fisherman in the 1871 directory and again in 1894. Martin's mother Honora married twice. Her second husband was Patrick Travers and she had four children by him. The Roman Catholic Cemetery is on their land.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames