Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: British ancestor listed as born Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 pm 

Hi, this is a wild stab in the dark, but I'm looking for any information about my 3rd Great Grandfather John Mckenzie

John Mckenzie was a gunner in the Royal Horse Artillery between 1798 and 1827, including serving at Waterloo in 1815.

I can find John in the UK Census Returns for 1841-1871 in Pontefract Yorkshire, and is listed as born circa 1786 in Newfoundland.

I suspect John, whilst born in Newfoundland, would not have been on true Newfoundland origins, but of a serving British military man, possibly in either the 37th Regiment of Foot or the 4th KO Regiment of Foot, based on information suggesting those regiments served in Newfoundland throughout this period.

I can find no reference to any possible birth/baptism records in the usual places, Ancestry and Find My Past. I've even tried looking within the Keith Mathews Name Files. I can find subsequent births the decade before but discounted these due to the fact his army discharge papers reference his having enlisted in 1798 aged 11.

If anyone could point in the direction of any other online sources I'd be grateful.

Regards

Paul

Post subject: Re: British ancestor listed as born Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:33 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

I found the following in the Baptism records of the Anglican Church of St John The Baptist in St John's Nfld.

John Mckenzie Born 1778 and Baptised Feb 1,1779 to Duggle Karr Mckenzie and Jenneh . Father occupation was 42nd Regiment.
Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:32 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

There is another spelling listed;
Dugale Carr Mckenzie.

Ann CARR* Duggle & Ann - - bap Apr 29 1781 - 71st Regt. - Prev bapt: father's full name given as Dugale Carr McKenzie.

There is another John Mckenzie listed but it don't list the fathers occupation,

John McKENZIE - Alexander & Mary Cameron (Mothers maiden name CAMERON?) - bap Jul 1 1779 -

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:04 pm 

ok Thinking John Mckenzie family came from Scotland to newfoundland back in 1700-1750 and he returned to England to serve. It shows he married Sarah Holroyd April 5 1824 and had a number of children, with first born girl Mary Mckenzie born 1826 Edward Mckenzie born 1824,John,1829, Jane 1831.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...