Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: MERCER from Country Road Bay Roberts
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:57 am 

I have a picture of my Grandfather, William John Marshall(Right) and Robert North (Centre) in their Newfoundland regimental uniforms. The third man on the left has only been identified at "Young Mercer from Country road" We would love to know who this gentleman is. Mercers and Marshalls were related. So we are assuming cousins. Any and all information / pictures would be appreciated.

Thank you
Kathy Marshall

https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer ... PUBJs=true

Post subject: Re: MERCER from Country Road Bay Roberts
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 am 

If you are unable to see the picture after clicking the link, there should be another link in the top right corner of the new page that will take you to ancestry.com where the picture is located on my "tree". If there is a way to upload the picture here, please let me know!

Thank you for your help!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:51 am 

Dear Kathy,

I have come across a possibility for your unknown Mercer. He could be George Mercer, who was listed as residing on Country Road, Bay Roberts and enlisted the day before William and Robert did. He was born 1 October 1896 in Bay Roberts to Job and Anne Marie (Bishop) Mercer. On the 1921 Census, he is residing with his parents, his wife, and son. There is a tree for him on Ancestry under his full name of Robert George Mercer.

There are a couple other Mercers that were residing on Country Road, Bay Roberts, but their enlistment dates were further away than George's was.

I also came across the fact that Robert North was killed in action on 20 November 1917 in France.

I hope this information helps you in solving your photo mystery. I will conduct further research to verify if George is the correct Mercer.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:21 pm 

Thank you Mark!

I did find 3 possibilities when researching The Rooms Military records. George, Augustus and William. I did not notice the enlistment dates though! Thank you for that information! I will research the tree that you mentioned to see if there is a connection.

My Grandfather named his first born son after his best friend, Robert North. My Grandfather had been wounded and was in the hospital when he received the news. He was devastated, as where the families at home waiting for loved ones to return, that never did.

Thank you very much for your time. I really do appreciate it.

Kathy
Last bumped by Kathy_Marshall on Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:21 pm.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames