Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Butler
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:08 pm 

Does anyone have a James Butler b. 13 Feb 1840 in Ferryland to John and Elizabeth (Glyn) Butler in their tree? My 2x great grandfather was James Butler who married Margaret Finlay of Trepassey and I have 0 information on him. I recently found a birth record for the above mentioned James b.1840 and was wondering if it might be my ancestor or perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I have not been able to trace my Butler ancestors. James and Margaret's children were baptised in the St. Mary's parish records and they seem to be the only Butler family which is odd in itself as there are 2 Butler's referenced in the Mannion files early on.

Post subject: Re: Butler
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:10 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I have Eleanor Butler bp 8 Apr 1840 Bay Bulls, d/o John Butler & Elizabeth Glynn.

Also have John Butler bp 22 Jun 1838 Bay Bulls, s/o John Butler & Elizabeth Glynn.

And Catherine Butler bp 24 Jun 1834 Bay Bulls.

John Butler married Elizabeth Glynn 3 Nov 1820 St. John's so lots of time for other earlier children.

No James so far - sorry.

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:21 pm 

James's record can be found on familysearch

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... AQK9T-V8SR

I just don't know if this is my relative or not. I've had no DNA matches to confirm links and the paper trail is limited.

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:00 pm 

ok. John Butler who married Elizabeth Glynn 1820 were both RC . The James Butler born in Petty Harbour born Feb 13, 1840 was the son of John Butler and Elizabeth ??????? Butler Church of England. If you could give your grandfathers name maybe connect to family going back to 1848 to relatives in Trespassy who were RC.

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:07 pm 

The James Butler in the link was born in Ferryland but under the Parish of Petty Harbour (i've been looking into the Butler's along the shore to see if I can find a connection that makes sense with limited records).

As for my Butler relatives. I can't trace them to Trepassey. I know James married someone from Trepassey and they had their family in St. Mary's. I've been to the Rooms to look through the available records from Trepassey and they are of no help (spotty at best and do not go back to the time period I'm looking at). I've been in contact with researchers from the Trepassey area who have Butlers in their tree but no one has a James Butler married to Margaret Finlay. He is a mystery.

As for my tree it's Patrick Butler (grandfather) b.1910 (in Path End) son of
James Butler (great grandfather) b. 1872 (in Gaskiers) son of
James Butler (2x great grandfather) b. unknown married Margaret Finlay of Daniel's Point, Trepassey. Lived in Gaskiers, all children baptised in RC St. Mary's parish records. (Some family members believe the reason they moved to St. Mary's is because James was not RC but that's rumor as far as I know. Another version is that he arrived in Trepassey on an English ship and while he was RC Margaret's family didn't approve so they moved to St. Mary's). There is no headstone so I don't have birth or death dates for him. He passed away before Margaret and she moved the family from Gaskiers to Path End.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames