Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Terra Nova Constabulary
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:28 pm 

Hi All, I'm not looking for a surname, or a family, but a museum. A few years back the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Historical Society was formed. From what I can gather there was a museum opened at Fort Townsend and it is written about by Barbara Mcgrath on this site -http://ngb.chebucto.org/Research/royal.shtml. I have been trying for several years to find out the status of this museum and whether it is accessible to the public. Unfortunately, my efforts had little success. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who reads these messages who may be able to help me on this. Thanks so much for any help. :ugeek:
Greg Mitchell

Post subject: Re: Terra Nova Constabulary
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:16 pm 

http://www.stjohns.ca/royal-newfoundlan ... ice-museum

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:47 am 

Thanks Geoff - I'll give it a whirl.
Cheers
Greg

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:19 pm 

Hi there.
I only noticed your poet today. I visited the RNC Museum at Fort Townsend a few years ago. Not sure of the status in these Covid days? The RNC Historical Society is about to issue a Book called Tough Justice, The History of the RNC from 1729 to 1871(?). I known the book is with the printers and should be available within a month or so.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:44 pm 

Thanks so much. Coupla' questions. Do you know anything about what is contained in their archives, a listing - anything? Also, do you know who the primary author of the upcoming book would be?
I am looking for any kind of records I can find from the fall of 1877.
Any further help appreciated!
Cheers
Greg

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:58 am 

Hi there.
Do you mean the museum when you ask about the Archives?
The Museum is small area inside the main doors of RNC at Fort Townsend.
It has show cases of Police Memorabilia, like uniforms, night sticks etc. It is interesting.

I went there looking for info on my 5G GF who was one of the first 31 police constables appointed in 1729. I re call the Museum did not have anyone "on duty" so I asked at the front desk of the building. They called someone from the back who came out to talk with me. I explained what I was researching and the police officer, doubted they had info going back that far. But she did go and look at their files only to confirm that their records do not go back that far.

I forget the name of the author of the upcoming book but I expect there will be some kind of communication/ advertisement when it comes out. I will look for that.
I discovered my 5G GF was among the first 31 by researching the Colonial Office Records.
Are you familiar with those? What name are you researching. what info do you have already?
I could have a quick look, if you want that?.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:06 pm 

Thanks so much for this information. And thank you so much for the offer of help!
I am actually a professional researcher - do it for my living - and am intimately familiar with the British Colonial Office records. I already have what those records can offer on the present matter.
However, this is not work related and I am actually researching circumstances around three Benoit brothers from the west coast who were incarcerated in HMP in 1877. One of whom was married to my great grandmother's sister. The youngest brother died in prison and I have been searching for reports and information mostly around that issue.
The Constabulary is supposed to have some records going back to the 1870s, but I just don't know if they are reports by officers, or just the mundane office-running things, etc. and I can't seem to find out.
In any case, the search goes on and thanks again.
Cheers
Greg Mitchell

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:03 pm 

Hi there.

Good luck with your research.

I doubt the book about the RNC will have that level of detail and I think the book only goes up to 1870. When it is released I will see if the Benoit brothers are mentioned.

Pat

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:11 pm 

Hi Pat,
Thanks again for the reply. My only source, besides you so far, is actually from the web site we are on. If you click on 'Other' at the top and then 'Available Research Sources' and then 'Royal NL Constabulary...', you will find a write up by Barabara MacGrath concerning this Museum and Archives from a few years back. She has made the claim that these archives have records going back to 1870. All I really need is to find someone who is very familiar with these archives.
Don't suppose you know Barbara McGrath, by any chance?
Thanks again for the help so far!
Cheers
Greg

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:14 pm 

Hi Greg:
I am not familiar with Barbara McGrath nor did I know about the link on this website.

Have you tried to contact the Museum through e mail or phone? Any response?

The RNC Museum is not that far from here (nothing is very far away from anything here) and I may get a chance to visit the Archives. I was not planning to do that but I don't mind sticking my nose in. I'm not sure how the new book will be released in these Covid days but there may be an event, likely at the Museum and I would attend, as my 5G GF was one of the first appointed.

Send me the details of what you are seeking and when/if I get the chance to ask, I will!

Are you familiar with MUN DAI?. You may find a newspaper article or something else there!
It is MUN's Digital Archive Initiative and our University has started to digitize all their historical records.

If you are not aware of it; Google it and good luck.
I find the search function difficult but I am getting better at it.
You may have more skills at searching databases like that.
There is a lot there.

Good luck

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:11 pm 

Hi Pat,
Yes - I am very familiar with MUN's DA Initiative and have used it many times since its beginning. I have also accessed all the newspaper articles on this topic from MUN and in the archived British newspapers.

In answer to your question, I am searching for any records at all concerning incarceration, or the courts, of three Benoit brothers, Xavier, Francois and Giles, from western Newfoundland, in the fall of 1877. Inspector Carty (TNC) compiled a report on his investigation into the allegations made against these men and I have that; but nothing concerning their time at St John's in custody during the fall of 1877 (September 23 to December 1st). The Carty report is held in the British Colonial Office records but the depositions taken by Inspector Carty are missing; these depositions could possibly be in the TNC archives.

During their time at HMP, one of the brothers, Francois Benoit, dies on November 22, 1877, is buried at Belvedere Cemetary, and I am trying also to find the cause of his death.

Following this death, Inspector Carty's report on their innocence, and their incarceration, they are released to return back to the West Coast. I have no materials whatsoever (so far) on the normal Habeus Corpus rules of the courts in this arrest.
Any and all help appreciated. :?:

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...