Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Family History update for Ancestry
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:34 am 

Hello

I wonder if anyone might have any further in formation on the Keating Family that lived in St Johns in Newfoundland.

My family is the White family that was mentioned... Mary A White and husband John Chamberlain White

I believe I have a relative that was named in a historic will and it would be interesting to learn more about what they did for work or their property/ land interests in St Johns.

many thanks

Mark

Will of Charlotte Keating
from Newfoundland will books volume 3 pages 11-12 probate year 1866

In re
Charlotte Keating deceased.

This is the last will and testament of me Charlotte Keating of Stanford in the County of Lincoln England Spinster; I give and bequeath and devise all my estates and effects real and personal of what nature and kind soever and wherever situate to my executors hereinafter mentioned and their heirs upon trust to apply and appropriate the same as follows;- That is to say after payment of all my just debts and funeral expences upon the trust following First upon the trust during the natural life of my niece Mary Ann White of Stanford in Lincolnshire England, widow of John Chamberlain White, to pay & appropriate the rents issues and profits of all the property known by the name of Sudbury Hall situate in Saint John's Newfoundland held under lease by Mrs. Hoyles with the land belonging thereto and a third of the annual interest of my monies for the sole use and benefit of my said niece the aforesaid Mary Ann White whose receipt alone will be sufficient for the same.
And after her decease upon trust to assign the convey the said Sudbury Hall and to pay one third of my monies to and amongst the children of the said Mary Hall and to pay one third of my monies to and amongst the children of the said Mary Ann White share and share alike and the children of a deceased child to represent the deceased parent; And also I wish that my said niece the aforesaid Mary Ann White, shall have all and whatever household furniture I may possess at the time of my death for her sole use and benefit; And secondly upon trust to pay and appropriate to the sole and separate use of my niece Catherine Sayles wife of Frederick Alban Sayles of Lincoln in Lincolnshire England during the term of her natural life the rents issues and profits of and in all the property known by the name of Woodbine Place situate in Saint John's Newfoundland now under lease by Charles Fox Bennett Esquire and occupied by him and William Dooling and Michael Harding; And also one third of the annual interest of my monies And after the decease of my said niece the aforesaid Catherine Sayles upon trust to convey and assign the said Woodbine property and to pay one third of my monies to and amongst the children of the said Catherine Sayles share and share alike and children of the deceased child to represent their deceased parent; Thirdly upon trust to pay and appropriate to the use of my nephew William Henry Gerard Tatam of Banbury in the County of Oxford in England during the term of his natural life the rents issues and profits of the property in Water Street situate in St. John's Newfoundland now under lease to John Cantwell and John Blandon- And also one third of the annual interest of my monies and after the decease of my said nephew the aforesaid William Henry Gerard Tatam upon trust to assign and convey the said Water Street property and to pay one third of my monies to and amongst the legitimate children of my said nephew share and share alike and children of a deceased child to represent the deceased parent.- In the event however of my said nephew not leaving at his decease legitimate children or grandchildren him surviving I will and direct that the monies and property hereinbefore bequeathed to him for his life shall at his decease be divided, one half to the children of my aforesaid niece Mary Ann White share and share alike and represented as aforesaid and one half to the children of my aforesaid niece Catherine Sayles share and share alike and representation as aforesaid. I appoint my friends Water Grieve and Francis C.K. Hepburn Esquires, and Mr. Pierce Feehan as the executors of this my will. Charlotte Keating
Signed published and declared by the said testatrix as her last will and testament in our presence who in her presence and at her request have hereto signed our names as witnesses at Stamford Lincolnshire in England this second day of December in the year of our Lord 1858, Thos. J. O'Conner Clk, (LS) Henry Hackett (LS).

Certified correct,
D. M. Browning
Registrar

Post subject: Re: Family History update for Ancestry
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:52 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Probate Petitions

24 January 1815 - Garrett Keating, of New castle, Co. Tipperary, Ireland, gentleman. Died at
St. John’s on 10 January 1815, leaving wife Mary; daughters: Margaretta,
Catherine, Johanna, Elizabeth, and Charlotte.

1 November 1850 - Margaretta Keating, spinster, of St. John’s. Died 1849, leaving sisters:
Joanna, Elizabeth, and Charlotte, (deceased sister Catherine Tatam)

1 March 1858 - Joanna Keating, spinster, of St. John’s. Died 7 February 1858, leaving
sister Charlotte Keating.

10 January 1866 - Charlotte Keating, spinster, of Stamford, Lincoln. nephew: William H. T
Tatam; nieces: Catherine, wife of Frederick Alban Sayles, and Mary Ann,
widow of John Chamberlain White

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:43 am 

Thank you for that information. Very much appreciated.

I don't suppose you or anyone else has any information on what the Keatings actually did for work ? or what property / and they owned ?

The will mentions mentioned Sudbury Hall which on google comes up as the Salvation Wiseman Centre ??
Is this the same building albeit changed that they would have owned ?

I read somewhere that 100 acres of land was given for fighting in the civil war at the time.
and then another large amount with numerous names underneath.

I will also try and have a look on ancestry and see if there are any Keatings left that I can add to my tree. Although the fact that property was left to others rather suggests it was the end of line for the Keatings in Newfoundland.

Again thank you for taking the time to assist. I'll have to my tick box in life, to come and visit what looks like a very lovely place.

Many thanks,

Mark White

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:22 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Sudbury Hall was located on the west end of Water Street, on the site of Captain Blaney's residence. In 1923 the property was taken over by the government and became Sudbury Hospital, a treatment centre for disabled servicemen. In 1927 it became a children's hospital.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:19 pm 

Thankyou ,

I wonder ion you know who owned Sudbury Hall in-between 1866 -1923 when the property was taken over by the government ??
I wonder if it was still part of my family estate then ?

There has been no mention from great grandfather ( Henry white now deceased) about any connections in Newfoundland.
It would obviously be interesting to know more..

I'll keep searching but if anyone has any further knowledge it would be much appreciated.

Thank you again for all your assistance

Mark

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...