Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Daniel, Martin or Patrick Foley of Distress (now St. Bride's
 Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:14 pm 

Lovell's Province of Newfoundland Directory for 1871 lists three Foley families in Distress (now known as St. Bride's). Daniel, Martin and Patrick Foley are listed as heads of these three households. Bearing in mind that my great-grandmother Alice Foley was born about 1875, it is likely that one of these three men is Alice's father; but, which one? Referencing various sources available online I have not yet answered this question. No doubt my online searches have improved but any further information or direction you can provide would be appreciated. It could be that I'll have to explore paper documents at The Rooms Archive when they re-open. In advance, thank you!

Post subject: Re: Daniel, Martin or Patrick Foley of Distress (now St. Bri
 Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm 

Hello,
Here is some info for you to consider. St. Brides is in the Placentia Bay region and so was the Sacred Heart Parish. Newfoundland and Labrador Gen Web have the baptismal records transcribed.
Alice Foley daughter of Patrick Foley and Honora Kane was baptized 23 Dec. 1874. Witnesses were Michael and Rose Foley.
The hand written church document is on familysearch.org and I am enclosing the link to that. You will find the notation on the right hand page, second entry from the bottom. No exact place of birth is given.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1939435

Alice is not as common a name as others listed, so I hope this is your Alice.
L. Moss

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...