Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Canadian Passport Images? (Mary J Connors/O'Connor)
 Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:36 pm 

I have no images of my great grandmother Mary J Connors/O'Connor. She was born March 25, 1864 in St. Mary's, NL. Years later she moved to Sydney, NS, which was her last place of residence in Canada until coming to the US through Detroit on November 27, 1919. She lived the rest of her life near Detroit, Michigan before passing away on November 26, 1947.

It has occurred to me, however, that I HAVE been able to find US passport applications for ancestors in the US. Is there a place to search Canadian passport applications that would include an image? A search on Ancestry.com hasn't turned up anything. Were there any other types of ID issued in Canada during this time period that might include her photo?

Any and all leads are appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Canadian Passport Images? (Mary J Connors/O'Connor)
 Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:59 pm 

Hello,
Mary O'Connor would not have required a passport to travel between the USA and Canada. So it is not likely that she would have applied for one. It wasn't until 2009 that Canada and the United States demanded a passport at their border crossings.
If a Canadian had applied for a passport before 1920, it was a document and not the booklet and photo of later years.
L. Moss

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:16 pm 

Thanks so much for your response. I have also learned that the Canadian government did not archive passport applications, except for a handful serving as historical examples. My hope at this point is that there is some form of archived provincial ID in either Newfoundland or Nova Scotia that would include a photo.

Kind regards,
Mary Louise

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:36 pm 

Hello Mary Louise,

If Mary became a naturalized citizen of the United States, there is the possibility a photo could be attached to her citizenship papers. I hope you find this lead helpful.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:27 pm 

Mark, thank you for the lead. Although I have US census documents showing her residence with my grandparents, I had not thought to check this. Unfortunately, the 1940 census, taken when she was 76, shows that she was an alien resident. She passed seven years later, so I'm pretty confident she did not seek citizenship during that time. I plan to contact the cemetery where she is buried to see if by any chance her burial record includes a photo.

Kind regards,
Mary Louise

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...