Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Jane Wells
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:27 pm 

Marriage info
Greenspond 1877 1 13 William Burton Greenspond
Jane Wells Greenspond
I am looking for info on this Jane Wells that married William Burton any info would be great......Who were her parents where was she born it says she is from Greenspond but where??

Post subject: Re: Jane Wells
 Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:02 pm 

Hello,
I am the granddaughter of Walter Burton, a son of William Burton and Jane Wells. I have been researching for a long time - and I think I may have the same brick walls as you have ( or did, I'm hopeful that you may have solved them). Who were the parents of Julia Oakley?
And when did William and Susannah marry? I have two more children of theirs. I have one other problem. Do you know if the William who married Jane Wells in 1877 was the William born 1858 or the William born 1825 (his father)? I have conflicting thoughts. Also, I've found some info re Henry Thomas Burton, son of William and Julia - if you still need it.
Bye for now,
Pattiann

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:16 am 

Greetings,

I came across a tree on another site with William and Jane in it. Jane was born Elizabeth Mary (Jane) Wells or Wills depending upon the image/transcription. She was born 31 October 1847 (bap. 11 January 1848) in Bonavista to William James Wells and Jane Reader. She died 27 April 1935 in Greenspond and there is a picture of her headstone on this site in the United Church Cemetery in Greenspond. William James and Jane were married on 7 August 1847 in Bonavista.

This tree lists that Jane wed William Burton Sr. William was baptized 27 November 1825 in Bonavista to Stephen Burton and Mary Cuff. Stephen and Mary were wed 1 January 1824 in Bonavista. Stephen's parents are listed as William Burton and Susannah. Mary's parents are listed as John Cuff and Ann Pardy.

In addition, there were some additional names going further back on the Cuff and Pardy lines, but not all the dates seem to mesh. I hope this information helps answer some of your questions and gives you some leads to further your research.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:26 am 

Hello Mark,
Thank you for your reply and for the info. It's nice to meet you.
The fact that this other site believes the William was William Burton Sr. supports my thoughts as well. My Dad's cousin, another William Burton would you believe, was asked when he lived his last years in a nursing home, about his grandfather marrying Jane Wells, and he indicated that his grandfather had been married twice - hence William Sr.
And the info re Jane Wells parents is new to me.
Thanks again,
Pat

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...