Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: MARY ANN BISHOP Looking for ancestry info
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:21 pm 

Hi all,

Hoping that someone has Mary Ann Bishop in their family tree and can help me.

I am looking for a Newfoundland ancestor (great grandfather's wife) Mary Ann Bishop from Long Pond or Seal Cove. Born Sept 1859. Died Sept 13 1922.

She was the wife of Richard Greenslade of Long Pond, Newfoundland (1856-1928).

There are 2 references to her last name BISHOP. findagrave/memorial refers to her as Mary Ann Bishop Greenslade. She is buried Foxtrap Cemetery.

A document (5 May 1947 delayed birth record) completed by her daughter Ruth Greenslade (Dawe) refers to her mother as Mary Ann Bishop Greenslade.

No birth records or baptism records for Mary Ann Bishop as I don't know her parents names.

No idea who her parents came from. No idea if Mary Ann Bishop had siblings.

No records of a birth/baptism record for her & Richards 1st two children William Joseph Greenslade (1883-1968) or Ruth Greenslade (1886-1966).
The lack of all these key record leads me to believe that they were located somewhere other than in Newfoundland.

Mary Ann Greenslade & Richard Greenslade from Long Pond are on the 1921 census with their 3 youngest children Samuel, Walter and George.

I've been trying to find this family connection for quite some time and hope that someone can help.

Thank you in advance.
Bonnie Carter

Post subject: Re: MARY ANN BISHOP Looking for ancestry info
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:31 pm 

Hello Bonnie,

I am descended from Greenslades of Long Pond and Taylors of Middle Bight, which is a couple of kilometres down the road. My great-grandmother was Caroline Greenslade. I have an approximate year of birth for her (1847), but no information on her parents or siblings. She married Jacob Taylor of Middle Bight and in about 1870 they moved to James Cove, on the south shore of Bonavista Bay.

According to what I have read and been told, a church rectory fire in the 1890's destroyed some fifty years (1842-1892) of birth, death and marriage records for the Conception Bay South area. Records after 1892 may be available because they were maintained by the Newfoundland vital statistics office. It's a long shot, but you might also find something in the records of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in St. John's, since some people from the Long Pond area may have gone there for weddings, baptisms, or burials. In searching my family history for that area during that period I have had to rely on later event records, or other records such as census.

I found a booklet at Library and Archives Canada in Ottawa called "They Were Pioneers of Conception Bay South -- A Legacy of Five Generations of Ancestors" by Lorraine Moores, 2004. I don't have a copy and I have gone through my notes.

Long Pond was settled by several families, principally Eason, Greenslade, Porter, Rideout, Stanley and Taylor. The booklet has selective but extensive charts of descendants. In my notes I find all the surnames you mention, but none of the specific names, but then my notes are not comprehensive.

You may be interested to know, if you don't already, that there is a Greenslades Road in the Long Pond area of Conception Bay South, and I am told there are still Greenslades living on it.

You might want to contact the Conception Bay South public library, 709-834-4241. They have some information there, although I think it may now be all on-line. But they may be able to direct you to some further information.

By coincidence, I have a great great grandmother named Mary Ann Bishop. But she was born on Fool's Island in Bonavista Bay in about 1827, and married a William Stratton of Greenspond. Different person than you are looking for, but just a heads up that she might turn up in your search.

I hope this is useful. Good luck.

Graham Taylor

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...