Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Barrett, Henry born: 25 March 1879
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:30 pm 

Hello,

I am looking for information on my paternal grandfather Henry Barrett, married to Susanna Smith on 6 Dec 1906 in Bay Roberts (certificate looks like Henry Bartlett, so not 100% sure). He seems to be often confused with Henry S. Barrett, born 3 years earlier. Both emigrated to Massachusetts, USA.

I don't believe my grandfather is the son of Abraham Barrett and Julia Ann Seymour. I have been unable to find evidence of my grandfather's birth on 25 March 1879 other than the date being referred to in documents once he left Newfoundland.

My grandmother Susanna's mother was Melina Barrett (1856-1936), so maybe there's a Barrett connection there as well.

Specifically, I hope to find confirmation of birth, his parent's names, and anything that gives some insight into his life.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Barrett, Henry born: 25 March 1879
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:48 pm 

Hi
I have many Barrett family members in my tree including Henry and Susanna and 3 of their children - Myrtle, David and Henry Jr. There was also a still born child born in 1917. There are most likely more children but I have not found them.
Henry was born on March 25 1879 (taken from his draft registration card) in Bishop's Cove, Newfoundland. The Bishop's Cove parish was part of the Upper Island Cove parish. On Nov 23 1882 the parsonage in Upper Island Cove burned, taking with it all church records from 1820 to 1882. Civil registration of births did not start in Newfoundland until 1891, so the church record was the only record of Henry's birth.
If you let me have your email address, we may be able to exchange some data. I have the Barrett family going back to the late 1600s.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:06 am 

I can confirm that your Henry is NOT the son of Abraham and Julia.
Henry Seymour Barrett was born Jan 24 1876 in Bishop's Cove to Abraham Barrett and Julia Ann Seymour. Henry Seymour Barrett married Elfrida Pike in Boston on Nov 28 1903. Elfrida was a young widow with her married name as Hutchings.
I only have 3 children for your Henry and Susanna but there must be more children. Henry and Susanna married in 1906 but the first child I have is Myrtle in 1916.
Do you have any other children/their spouses/children etc.?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:03 pm 

Henry (Harry) and Susanna had three children that lived - all born in Massachusetts, USA and now deceased. Henry died in 1938. Susanna in 1959.

Myrtle Birddener, b. 29 July 1915 (never married)
Baby Barrett (stillborn), 2 Jan 1917
David Melvin, b. 31 May 1918 (married, no children)
Henry Maxwell, b. 24 Nov 1920 (My father - 11 children)

Through one of my siblings DNA profile on Ancestry, looks like there are several DNA matches with Abraham, but not Julia.

Susanna's side seems clear (John J. Smith; 1854-1936 and Melina (Barrett) Smith; 1856-1936. I wondered if Henry and Susanna were cousins or distantly related.

Henry is listed as a carpenter on several documents. Once in USA, he settled in Massachusetts in the Chelsea, Revere/ Everett area.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:53 am 

There could be a connection between Henry and Susanna because her parents were John Smith 1854 - 1936 and Melina Barrett 1856 - 1936. I am related to both the Barrett and the Smith families in Bishop's Cove.
It should be noted that although the community of Bishop's Cove was small (less that 1,000 people) there were two separate Smith lines and no researcher that I am aware of has been able to connect the two lines.
So your father was Henry Maxwell. Who was/are your mother/siblings/spouses/children etc.
If you rather not post the data in an open forum please contact me at rod.janes@nf.sympatico.ca

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:48 pm 

From my records I have a Henry Barrett and Susanna Smith married On December 6 1906. Both were from Bishop's Cove. They were married in the Methodist Church in Spaniard's Bay and married by the Methodist minister of Bay Roberts, Samuel Snowden. The record is in the Bay Roberts Methodist register
Quote:
Marriage Solemnized at Spaniard's Bay, Newfoundland
Henry Barrett Bachelor Fisherman Bishop's Cove
Susanna Smith Spinster Bishop's Cove
Married Dec 6th 1906 at The Methodist Church according to the Laws of Newfoundland and the Rites and Ceremonies of the Methodist Church by me Samuel Snowden
This marriage was solemnized between us
Henry Barrett (x) Susanna Smith (x)
In the presence of us Sarah Smith Samuel Mugford

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:30 pm 

I have another Susanna Smith born in 1885 married to an Abraham Barrett, widower in 1907 in the Methodist Church in Spaniard's Bay. I mistakenly thought she was the daughter of John and Melina. Where does the Susanna Smith married to Abraham Barrett fit in?

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...