Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: John James Fleming (Holyrood)
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:55 pm 

Does anyone have any information on John James Fleming, born 1837 and lived in Holyrood?

Post subject: Re: John James Fleming (Holyrood)
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:43 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

John James Fleming, fisherman, died at Holyrood on 14 October 1904. He married Bridget Quinlan and they had one son and eight daughters. John James Fleming Jr. went to Boston but returned to Newfoundland. His sisters Anne, Ellen, Elizabeth, Jane, and Maria also went to Boston. Martha and Bride stayed in Holyrood and Mary married an O'Brien at North Arm.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:56 pm 

John James Fleming of Holyrood was my great grandfather. We believe he was Scotish, but when he arrived here, and where he arrived here, we don't know. My father and his siblings, as well as their father, my grandfather, John James Fleming, Jr. grew up known as "Scottie". The family story was that he left Scotland with three brothers and went to England to board a ship to come to North America. When? Is this a true story? Who knows?
He and Bridget Quinlan Fleming did have eight daughters and one son-my grandfather John. The daughters were: Ann, Mary, Ellen, Elizabeth, Bridget, Maria, Martha, and Genevieve. Mary married Bart O'Brien, and remained in Holyrood. Genevieve[Jenny] married Joe Penny, and lived on Salmonier Line, Martha never married and lived at home. The other sisters moved to Boston,and its possible one may have returned.
That's as much as we know thanks to our 96 year old aunt, the youngest and only one left of Pop Fleming's children.
One of my Fleming cousins has had DNA analysed through Ancestry as have I. If we have more Fleming cousins out there DNA should confirm that.
rdfleming-do you know where your Fleming ancestors are from?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:55 pm 

The reason I was asking about this gentleman was because a cousin of mine had been in contact with someone who forwarded information on John James. In the information sent it stated that John James had a brother that went "down the Southern Shore." My Flemings lived in the St. Mary's Bay area and I was wondering if there was a connection. However, since making this post i've connected with a descendant and we've compared DNA but there is no match :-/

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...