Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Fair Island Resident Stories
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:42 am 

Hello,
My name is Courtney (Waye) George. I am originally from Bonavista, but now living in Paradise. I am a descendant of many Fair Island, NL residents and so, I am looking to begin a potential future project regarding the residents and history of the island. I am on a mission of sorts to preserve the stories of Fair Island; whether it be personal stories, recipes, songs, schooner names; honestly anything regarding Fair Island. I grew up hearing so many stories about Fair Island to the point that it became like a personal treasure to me. The island has always had a special place in my heart and I always told people proudly of where my family originated from and joked calling it, "My Fair Island." My Great Aunt Martha once asked me, that after she was gone who would tell the stories of her and so many others' childhood and the place where she and many more had once called home. Not realizing how big of a task it was, I told her that I would. I now feel the urge to follow through with my promise.

I am looking to contact former residents or children of former residents of Fair Island, Newfoundland; possibly residents of the near by islands/ communities such as Silver Fox Island, Sydney Cove, Paul's Island. I would love to get in contact with them and discuss the possibility of them sharing their personal stories with me.

For those from this area of Newfoundland and you are wondering how I am connected to Fair Island it goes as follows;

My Great- Grandfather was John James Anstey. My Great-Grandmother was Emma Jane (Brown) Anstey, both of Fair Island. I am actually named after my Great Grandmother -my name is Courtney Emma. My Grandmother is Deborah (Debbie) (Anstey) Dalton now residing in Catalina, NL. My Aunt Martha referred to above was the eldest child of John and Emma Anstey and my Grandmother Debbie's oldest sister.

I thank you in advance for reading this post and possibly replying back. I do hope that I can follow through with this promise to my Aunt Martha, but it is not possible without the generous help of others. So, thank you. Have a great day.
Courtney George

Post subject: Re: Fair Island Resident Stories
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:56 pm 

Hi Courtney,
I just joined this site, after reading your post.
I now live in Wareham but my ancestors came from the same place as yours. Please feel free to ask any question of me.
Lots of your family live here. Some are buried here.
All the best,
Woody Waterman

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...