Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: William A. Parsons' Mother
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:50 am 

I am wondering what William A. Parsons' mother's name was. He was on the 1921 Census in Bay Roberts with his wife, two children and his father. He was 32 years old and Isaac, his father, was 67 years old, listed as born in August 1854 and a widower. Any and all leads or assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanx for all you do.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post subject: Re: William A. Parsons' Mother
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 am 

I'm not related but I have an Isaac Parsons, b. abt 1855 married about 1880 to an Ellen Bradbury b. abt 1860. I have one son listed for them, Joseph b. 1885, and married on 7 Sep 1907, Chelsea MA, to Beatrice Gillespie b. 1886, Carbonear. I have more on Beatrice if interested.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
J Bishop

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:34 pm 

I have William A Parsons in my information because his wife was a Barrett, Lenora, though I haven't connected her to my family yet. I did not have parents for William, but I do not think it is the Isaac Parsons jbishop cites. I have that Isaac and Ellen in my list and they have at least four children, Joseph Thomas, Isaac, Ellen and Samuel but no William.
But thank you j bishop for letting me know that Ellen was a Bradbury.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:43 am 

Hi, I have collected some records on this family as well... Isaac Parsons and Ellen Bradbury had 8 children of record, including a William that would roughly be the right age. In the 1910 census, he was residing in Massachusetts with his brother Joseph and wife Beatrice that J Bishop mentioned.

I have Isaac Parsons born about 1855+/- and the son of Joseph Parsons. Ellen Bradbury was born October 30 1858 in Bay Roberts, died October 4, 1900 in Bay Roberts. Her parents were Thomas Bradbury and Sarah French. (I would say eldest son Joseph Thomas was named for both of his grandfathers...).

So — their son William could be a good candidate for your William A (Allan) Parsons. I never found any further information on him in the US after 1910, perhaps he came back to Newfoundland.

Carol

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:27 pm 

Carol,
I have six children (so far) for Isaac and Ellen Parsons - Margaret, Joseph Thomas, Isaac, Ellen, Samuel and William. I did find the 1910 census when William was with Joseph and Beatrice but in 1920 he was not there, and I assume back in Nfld (but no proof). But the William A I have (I believe) is not this William. My William A has a father named Isaac who is living with him as a widower in 1921 but he is said to be born in Aug 1854. This William's father Isaac is a widower too and living with his son Isaac in 1921 but was born Apr 1851. I know birth dates in Census record cannot always be relied on but there seems to be a lot of Isaac Parsons both as fathers and sons and sorting them out is not easy. More work needed.
Will keep you updated if I find more.
I found a record for the death of Joseph Thomas for Jan 1968 from the SSN Death record.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:06 am 

Dear J. Bishop, Robin, & Carol,

Thank you. With all of the information and leads you have all given me, I have been able to remove William's father Isaac as my ancestor's sibling. Thanx again for all you do.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:07 pm 

Hi Robin,

Upon further evaluation, I agree with you that William Allan Parsons is not of the family of Isaac and Ellen.

Here is what I have documented for the children of Isaac and Ellen: Margaret 1880, Sarah Anne 1881, Joseph Thomas 1894, William 1886, Augustus “Isaac” 1889, Emma jane 1890, Ellen 1892, Clarice Ornah 1896 and Samuel 1897.

Agree more work needed, there were far too many Isaac Parsons born in the 1850’s!

I will keep you posted as well.

Carol

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:22 pm 

Hi Carol
I had all the children except Emma Jane and Clarice. But that makes 9 children and didn't some one say they had eight children? I assume Joseph Thomas was at typo at 1894.
thanks for those extra children.
Well I just discovered something from a mistake. For Samuel's birth I had the return of birth information. But when I checked, it was actually for Clarice. Now I have to find the documentation for Samuel. So easy to get confused with all this stuff.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:52 pm 

The dates for Clarice are actually 1897. Born June 19 Baptized July 15. So I am not sure what the DOB for Samuel should be. I looked in Family Search but couldn't find any records - so far.
Maybe a trip to the Rooms is in order. Or to the church in Bay Roberts.
Also discovered the marriage date for Isaac and Ellen, May 29 1880. Margaret was born in April, they were married in May and Margaret was baptized in August. Always interesting what you find.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 pm 

Hi Robin,

Yes — that was a typo on Joseph Thomas’ birth year. And, yes — it is 9 children, not 8.

Here is Samuel’s obituary, which doesn’t give a birth date but helps to fix the year at about 1897. (Perhaps is was 1896, and then Clarice at 1897 as you say.). If you find it, let me know.

Bay Roberts Guardian - July 24 1914: Died at Crane's Brook on Tuesday, July 21st, after a two month's illness, Samuel Parsons, son of Isaac and the late Ellen Parsons, aged 17 years. Funeral took place on Wednesday, interment at the C. of E. cemetery.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:52 am 

Hello Robin & Carol,

On Family Search, the image which shows the birth of Clarice to Isaac and Ellen is actually the birth and baptism dates of Samuel in 1896. Since the child of Charles and Wilhelmina Parsons was not named on the page, the next twelve children's names are one line off and are designated by arrows on the first and last child. This would mean that Isaac and Ellen did not have a daughter named Clarice. In addition, there are no birth records on Family Search after the year 1897, unless it shows up in the delayed birth records. I hope this information helps in answering some of your research questions and in deciding where to continue your research.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:16 pm 

Good catch Mark!
Thanks, Carol

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:38 pm 

Thank you Mark for your insight. I should of noticed that because my grandmothers sister is one of those mistaken in that list. And I had first seen that list years ago. She is Bessie Pepper but according to the list she would be Samuel. I have taken off Clarice and made the record be that of Samuel. Thanks again.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...