Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: I am trying to find information on my Grandfather
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:02 pm 

Hi,
I am trying to find out information about my grandfather. His name was Edwin John Locke and he was born Feb.14, 1900 in Lushe Bight, NL. He died May 2, 1982 in Victoria, B.C. I am in newfoundland right now and i want to look in to his family. i was told that he had 23 brothers and sisters but a few past away. i need help as i don't know what to do.

thanks for the help. my phone number is 250-618-7022

Post subject: Re: I am trying to find information on my Grandfather
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:20 pm 

Hi Dawn
I have 10 sibs for Edwin John that I could find but there could have been more. He was the son of Philip Locke & Georgina Dean. In case you didn't have it, he married June 30 1925 Toronto, parents named, occ auto mechanic res 72 Ann St to Florence Muriel Smerdon (b Nov 5 1904 Toronto) dau of Joseph Smerdon of ON and Emma Wilson.
Philip Locke, his father was born Apr 13 1872 Little Bay Islands, Notre Dame Bay NL. and married (1) Dec 5 1892 Methodist to Georgina Dean (bap Mar 26 1876 Herring Neck - died May 2 1909 Pilleys Island) age 33 of consumption, the dau of Joseph Dean and Rachel Warren. Philip married (2) Jan 1 1912 Lushes Bight to Bessie Parsons (b May 19 1891 Lushes Bight) dau of George Parsons and Selina Brooks. Philip was the son of Frederick Locke (born c Aug 1839 Tizzards Hr - died Aug 13 1924 Pilleys Island) age 85 of old age. Frederick married Nov 5 1862 at Little Bay Islands Methodist to Mary Curtis (born c 1844 Twillinigate - died May 16 1913 Pilleys Island of pulmonary TB).
Per Rupert Wiseman (deceased, personal communication 2004), Frederick Locke was the son of John and Martha Locke. some people in have posted online that Martha was nee Small, however that is not correct. Per John & Martha's son William Thomas Locke's 3rd marriage at Toronto, his mother was nee Martha WISEMAN. (she was most likely the dau of Philip Wiseman and Virtue unknown; That Virtue was the widow Spencer, and Philip Wiseman acquired land at Tizz Hr when he married Virtue). To see the original records while you are here you would have to go to the Archives at The Rooms, where they have photocopies of orig parish records for Little Bay Islands, Pilleys Island, herring Neck, etc. You can contact me at njillmarshall@aol.com for more information on the Lockes. Jill Marshall, St Johns NL

Board index » General » Introductions