Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Owen/Hone from Champneys West(Formerly Salmon Cove) NL
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 am 

I have been researching my family of Owen from Salmon Cove NL. In the process, I have found that the name may also have been Hone at some point. In particular, I am looking for the parents of William Owen (1824-1924). It is possible that Dennis Hone (from the 1800-01 census) may have been his grandfather. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Owen/Hone from Champneys West(Formerly Salmon Cove) NL
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:54 pm 

I found him on Family Search with sources attached as William Hone born 1824 Trinity, Newfoundland, died October 24, 1924 in St. John's, Newfoundland. On the marriage document it lists one of the witnesses as Adam Hone so perhaps he is the father or perhaps a brother? The marriage date was 20 Dec 1855 in Trinity, Trinity North and the bride's name was Mary Hancock. It lists their residences as Salmon Cove (William) and King's Cove (Mary).

So that confirms it was indeed Hone. There are no parents listed on the Family Search but if I find anything else I will post it to you. Hopefully having the correct last name and the Adam name will help reveal the parents names.

Sheila

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:57 pm 

Hi Sheila:

Thanks. Similarly to you, we have used Family Search and found William Owen (Hone). From our family recollection, the first Owen to come to Champneys/Salmon Cove was Dennis Owen from Wales. That's where the issues came about. We were searching Owen with limited luck and then found that someone had added (Hone) to the Willam Owen entry that we had seen in Family Search previously. We are convinced that he is our ancestor as he lived on Hamilton Ave. in St. John's (on the 1921 census) and my Mother visited her Owen relatives on Hamilton Ave in the 1940's. We don't know when the Hones became Owen' or if indeed they were Owen to start with and the Hone part came due to mispronunciation and a lack of literacy at the time. I have had more info from the Trinity Historical Society but am still not able to confirm who Willam's parents were. Thanks for responding and if you become aware of anything else. I would appreciate hearing.

Joan

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:48 pm 

I did see 295 Hamilton Avenue listed on his death certificate. I corrected the date on Family Search to October 26 which is given in the document. He must have been a fine strong fellow to live to 100 like that.

I was not able to find much on Dennis, only this little entry on a Grand Banks page:

April 19 1801- married William Ennis of the City of Dublin and Mary dau. of Dennis and Elizabeth Hone of Salmon Cove in this district

I also found this page with a possibility to check out:

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/ang-bap- ... 0-tb.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baptism of James Hone born in Salmon Cove June 9, 1800, listing father James Horn (born in Salmon Cove in 1773) and mother Joan Stivey (born 1777 Salmon Cove). Also baptism of his sister (born Feb 10, 1798). Family Search lists married 1798.

I didn't find more about James born in 1800 but that would put him in the age range to be William's father.

I'll post again if I find anything else. I'm just hitting brick walls on my own Smith and Mitchell-Portugal Cove so I'm happy to help.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames