Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: HAMMOND Family, Lance Cove, Bell Island
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:33 pm 

My wife is searching for descendants of the James Hammond (1837- 20 SEP 1899)family from Lance Cove, Belle Island. We believe he was married to a Mary Anne (unknown last name) who died 27 DEC 1926. They had at least one son, John J Hammond who was born and died on Bell Island. (JAN 1866 - 6 JUL 1925) who married Catherine Mary (Kate) Sullivan. My wife is a descendant of this line.

We are very interested in anything about the Hammond family pre--1837, immigration to Newfoundland, to more recent family stories that have been passed down, unpublished books or trees, etc. To be candid, we only recently found out (through DNA), that my wife has ties to NFL, so we have little to go on.

We appreciate any information that can be shared.....

Post subject: Re: HAMMOND Family, Lance Cove, Bell Island
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:20 am 

Hello,
Mary Anne's maiden name was the same as her husband James' surname. Their marriage record and birth/bapt. records of 3 children were kept at Catholic Holy Rosary church in Portugal Cove. These church records have been transcribed on the Newfoundland and Labrador Gen Web site. The actual church documents can be found on familysearch.org. I'm adding, for you to consider, links to the familysearch.org documents.
#1marriage Jan. 14, 1861, on rt. hand page first entry. Name written as Hamon. Not unusual with this surname.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1939435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#2 birth of Margaret Oct. 28, 1861. 9th entry on the rt. hand page
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1939435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#3 birth of John Apr. ?, 1866. second last entry on the rt. hand page

#4 birth of James Aug. 27, 1868. 11th entry on the left hand page

This is far short of an exact answer to your post but I hope it's helpful in some degree.
L. Moss

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:34 pm 

RE: Hammond Family. You might want to try getting a book written by the Rev John W. Hammond titled The Beautiful Isles. It is a history of Bell Island from 1611 to1896. It contained a genealogy of pioneer Families of Bell Island. The Hammonds as well as my family the Kellys are listed and have been researched by Rev Hammond (now deceased). James Hammonds parents were Michael Hammond and Margaret Morrissey. My email address is BobKelly726@aol.com if I can be of further help. I live in Florida.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:43 pm 

I am glad you are on here Steve! Was just searching around her to find out more. This site is amazing for Newfoundland genealogy. Thanks volunteers for all your hard work!

Sarah Downey Nickolet

Researching Downey/Burke/Gillis families of Newfoundland

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:49 pm 

I am wondering if Mary Anne Hammond (John J's mom and James's wife)...could have been a widow that was married to another Hammond. Not unusual in those days...and her name at the time of being married would have been Hammond then...but her maiden name may be something else?

Just a theory :D

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:02 am 

Do you have a copy of the book Bob?

There are a ton of James Hammonds. I am not sure that Michael Hammond and Margaret Morrissey are the parents of the James Hammond (who married Mary Anne Hammond)...only because Michael and Margaret were married in the Church of England. And James Hammond (and the following generations from him) are Catholic. It would be unusual for a child to switch religions at that time, no?

Bob Kelly wrote:
RE: Hammond Family. You might want to try getting a book written by the Rev John W. Hammond titled The Beautiful Isles. It is a history of Bell Island from 1611 to1896. It contained a genealogy of pioneer Families of Bell Island. The Hammonds as well as my family the Kellys are listed and have been researched by Rev Hammond (now deceased). James Hammonds parents were Michael Hammond and Margaret Morrissey. My email address is BobKelly726@aol.com if I can be of further help. I live in Florida.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames