Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Tobin
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:12 am 

I am updating my info on my Tobin grandparents in hopes that there may still relatives in Newfoundland who may have info to add to mine. John Tobin of Bay Bulls married Bridget Madigan of Witless Bay 1840/02/07. Their witnesses were: John Dunn & Bridget Tobin.
My great grandfather William John was born 1844/06/15 in Witless Bay. He moved to Halifax & married Catherine Nilan of Sydney Cape Breton. My grandmother Mary Ann Tobin was born in Halifax 1881/05/15. Her elder brother William John born 1871/06/30 married a Bridget Butt from Carbonear. I believe Mary Ann was estranged from her family after she married Ralph Edward Smith 1904/06/28 as she married out side of the Roman Catholic faith. Hoping this new info will bring some more information to help my search.

Post subject: Re: Tobin
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I have the following children for William Tobin and Catherine Nilan:

Bridget, born 5 September 1871, Halifax
William John, born 30 June 1873, Halifax
Mary Ann, born 15 May 1880, Halifax
Joseph Patrick, born 15 May 1880, Halifax, died 22 May 1880
James Luke, 29 August 1878, Halifax

Did William Tobin pass away on 21 February 1904?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:06 pm 

Hello Jeannie and Ed:

I have Tobins in my ancestry, although mine were from the Brigus area. Two Tobin brothers (James and Michael) married two MacCormack sisters (Anastatia and Bridget) in 1830 at Brigus. James and Anastatia are my G-G GP.

To make matters worse, similar Tobin and MacCormack names appear about the same time in Kilbride.

I have not hit the wall but I am sure tied up in knots.

I mention this as my research points to a Halifax connection with my Tobins; so i will ask this since you mentioned Tobins in Halifax;

Do you have a TOBIN/PHALEN connection in your family?

My grandfather (Patrick Furlong, was the grandson of James and Ann Tobin above) and he had a cousin, a MR. Phalen who died in Halifax about 1960. I have the "memorial card" which indicates this. It is possible that this Mr. Phalen, cold be a descendant of William Phalen and Ellen Tobin who married in St.John;s in 1857???

I also have an 1863 marriage for John Harry Tobin of Halifax to Mary Ann (Mc) Cormack in St. John's.

There is more but I will leave it at the question about the Phelans.

Thanks for any input

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:17 am 

Hello Jeannie
this may be a long shot on an older post but here goes .My Grandmother was Mary E (tobin)Bouzane(1891-1976) daughter of John Tobin (1852-) and Ellen Hearn
John was the son of John and Bridgette and I am currently in the process of researching the Tobins,Hearns and and will certianly pass on any info i find

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:37 am 

Sorry to pile on without offering any additional information but has anyone ever come across Tobins in St, Lawrence or Oderin in their research. My gg-grandfather, Michael Tobin, married Priscilla Williams of Oderin, where they settled and raised a family. Over the years, this is about as much as I've ever been able to find out about Michael, except that he died, on Oderin, in 1934. Thanks.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames