Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: Hello
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:05 am 

Hi everyone,

My name is Brittany, I live in north Texas, and while I do not have a personal blood connection to Newfoundland, my husband does. I've been doing genealogy research on my family and my husband's family, and just discovered that the tales his family has been telling for years about a great grandfather coming to Massachusetts directly from Scotland were off by an ocean--he appears to have come instead from Trinity Bay.

I'm looking for more information into the Cummings family, particularly any relations of a Peter John Cummings, born on (or about) 9 February 1877 in Trinity Bay who, according to the Naturalization paperwork I found, Peter stated that he last lived in Whale's Head before coming to the Boston, Massachusetts area. According to an obituary I found in a Cambridge paper from 1960, he had a brother named Eli. Ancestry and Rootsweb have pointed me toward the names "John Cummings" and "Catherine Squires," but I'm trying to verify those individuals now.

According to a Cambridge newspaper clipping (which jives with family history, birth records, etc.), he married a Bessie Adelia Wilson in Cambridge, Mass. in 1902, so he had already left Newfoundland by that time. However, it doesn't appear that he became a naturalized citizen until leaving the US on a brief trip back to Canada (port of entry/exit was St. John, New Brunswick--paperwork says "by rail") in 1921. By this time, he and Bessie had two sons in Mass., James Edward and Carleton Ellsworth Cummings.

What I DO know for a fact through my husband's grandfather (Peter's grandson), who is still living and knew Peter for 20 years before he passed in 1960, Peter eventually built his own boat and worked as a lobster fisherman in Massachusetts.

Anyway, sorry for the novel, but after trying unsuccessfully to trace this family back to Scotland, I'm excited to have some leads!

-Brittany Norman-Cummings

Post subject: Re: Hello
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:00 pm 

Hello;
Here is some information on Peter John Cummings and family.

John Cummins (Bachelor, Fisherman) and Catherine Swire (Spinster, Servant) were married Dec. 7, 1875 at Old Perlican, Newfoundland by Rev. Thomas Fox.
Both John and Catherine were residents of Lance Cove ( now Brownsdale) Newfoundland.
Children of the marriage were:
Peter John Lily Cummings born Lance Cove (Brownsdale) NL Feb. 9, 1877, bpt. July 22, 1877
William James Cummins born Lance Cove, NL Feb. 15, 1879, bpt. Sept. 1, 1879
Noah Cummins born Whales Brook, NL Nov. 21, 1880, bpt. Jan. 19, 1881
Eli Cummins born Whales Brook, NL Oct. 1, 1886, bpt. Nov. 29, 1886
George Cummins born Whales Brook, NL Jan. 9, 1890, bpt. May 27, 1890
These records are held at the Methodist (now United Church ) Hant's Harbour, NL.
Old Perlican, Lance Cove (Brownsdale), Hant's Harbour are all fishing towns on the South Shore of Trinity Bay, NL. While I cannot find a reference to Whales Brook I am very confident that was the name of a small cove (possibly renamed or abandoned) in the vicinity of Lance Cove/Brownsdale.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:23 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Whales Brook is a small community near Brownsdale in Trinity Bay. It is now included with Brownsdale however residents still refer to it as Whales Brook. I was born there and have heard of Cummings living there in the past. Whales Brook had its own census and you can review these on this site. People living there had moved there from Lower Island Cove in Conception Bay. Here is a link to the 1921 census for Whales Brook, http://ngb.chebucto.org/C1921/21-whales-brk-tb.shtml

If I can be of any help please let me know.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:39 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Link to Lower Island Cove Births

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/pre-1891 ... -bdv.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Cummins born 1851

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:07 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

July 15 1893 John Cummings remarried after he became widowed. Here is the link to his marriage;

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/post-189 ... 3-tb.shtml

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:55 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Interesting article on Brownsdale (Lance Cove) on page 41.
Here is the link; It shows that Peter Cummins was settled there as one of the first settlers having moved from Lower Island Cove with his family. Peter being John's father.

http://collections.mun.ca/PDFs/cns_deck ... 0_No04.pdf

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:15 am 

Wow, I'm so sorry for the slow response! The notification for the forum ended up in my junk email, and I only just wandered back over here after my husband got his Ancestry DNA results back. Thank you so much for the information. I will look into all of this!

I really appreciate the community's help, even if I was slow in responding. Thanks again.

Board index » General » Introductions