Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Lee Family - Riverhead
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:30 pm 

Hello,

I’m having a bit of a time with the Lee side of my family tree. It seems that they really, really liked using certain names over (Mary, Joseph, Henry etc) so that there are for instance 3 sisters named Mary but all go by their second name and then also numerous cousins named Mary. If anyone is researching this family I’d appreciate any help!

Post subject: Re: Lee Family - Riverhead
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:30 pm 

I am related to Lee's. I can be reached at shawnpower76@hotmail.com

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:11 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Robyn and Hello Shawn!

Shawn, as Robyn can tell you, I am also interested in the Lee Family and thus the Peddle connection. Thomas Lee & Margaret Peddle's son, Joseph Lee, married 22 May 1874 Curling Mary Howlett of Petty Harbour. I am researching the families of Petty Harbour and that is my connection. I'd love to exchange information with you, if you don't already have what I know from Robyn.

Robyn, good to see you back in action again :)

Trishe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:02 pm 

Hi Trishe

I have Joseph Lee as being married to Ellen Tobin. Can u provide info to why he is married to someone else

thanks

shawn

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 am 

Hi Shawn, Trishe and Robin,
I also have Lees in my family tree but only through marriage. Its a bit of a story, but Peggy Bennett and I did some work on the Lee family a few years ago here on the west coast. We found that the surname was spelled Leigh and the original ancestor, Phillip Lee, hailed from St Helliers in the Jersey Isles. I am suspecting that Phillip Lee (B. about 1820) may be related to the Lees on the south coast and Burin Peninsula and maybe the ones which you are all searching. (???) Phillip Lee was married to my GG grandmother and had three children (Joseph, Phillip and Elizabeth) before she was widowed by losing Phillip at sea. She, (Mary Anne Upwards) went on to have two other families, one child from her second marriage was my great grandmother, so I am no blood relation to the Lees, but I'm interested!
The St Helliers records may be on-line and could present another source of inquiry for you.
Good Luck
Greg

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:20 pm 

Shawn,

Joseph Lee b. 1851 Riverhead, St. Mary's Bay to Thomas Lee and Margaret Peddle was married to Mary Ann Howlett 22 May 1874 at Summerside, Bay of Islands. This information comes from a fellow researcher who has a list of family names and dates in a book that has been passed down. In addition it fits with my great aunt stating that her mother was from Bonne Bay area (where a few of Joseph and Mary's children were born).

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:25 am 

Hi All,
Yes - there were two contemporaneous Joseph Lees on the west coast of Newfoundland in the late nineteenth century. The Joseph Lee, just mentioned (married to Mary Ann Howlett), lived in Bonne Bay. However, the other one was Joseph Edmund Lee (my great grandmother's half brother) who lived at Benoits Cove for a decade or more, and then moved to the Port aux Port Peninsula where he lived until his death. That Joseph Lee was married to Mary Ann Pike (from Port aux Basque area) and he was born at St Helier's (Jersey Isles) on March 16th, 1857.
Whether these two Joseph Lees were related, as far as I can tell, is yet to be determined.
I am pretty certain that when the former Joseph Lee was married at Summerside, the latter Joseph Lee was residing at Benoits Cove, only about four miles further out the bay here, or at Woods Island with his mother (Mary Anne - nee Upwards) who was by then re-married to John Duffney (Duffenais).
Does anyone have any further information on the Thomas Lee married to Margaret Peddle. Was he born at Riverhead? Did he immigrate from somewhere?
Cheers
Greg

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:33 pm 

Hi Greg,

I was forwarded information regarding the Lee family from a fellow researcher. The information came from Hannah Lee Power who was the researchers grandmother's first cousin on the Lee side. According to the information Thomas' parents were Henry Lee and Margaret Nagel. I haven't been able to look into this as I'm busy with work.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Sorry for the delay in replying, but it is summer!

Mary Howlett, born 11 Nov 1849 Petty Harbour, was the d/o Thomas Howlett & Ann Stockman. When the cod fishery went into a state of decline, Thomas Howlett, his son William and daughters Lydia & Mary moved from the east coast to the west, to test their luck in the lobster fishery. They settled at Howell's Cove, Bonne Bay. William's son, Thomas William Howlett, married 1887 Mary Ann Benoit from Chimney Cove. Lydia Howlett married 1858 James William Hollahan and they raised their family of 6 in the Shoal Bay area of Bonne Bay. Mary Howlett married 1974 Joseph Lee, born Riverhead, St. Mary's, and they had 13 children that I know of, alternating their life between Bonne Bay & Riverhead.

Shawn, I don't have a Joseph Lee married to an Ellen Tobin in my files, but I am researching the Howlett family of Petty Harbour (also the Lee family of Petty Harbour as a coincidence), not the Lee family of Riverhead.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames