Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Peddle
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:11 am 

I'm researching the family of my 3x great grandmother, Margaret Peddle. The only information that I have for her is that she married Thomas Lee and raised their family in St. Mary's (ca 1830s-1850s, I only know of 4 of their children as the records only began in the early 1840s) Via Seary's book there is reference to a John Peddle who was in possession of property on Holyrood Island between St. Mary's and Trepassey, 1808. There is a marriage record for a John Peddle (of St. Mary's) in the Basilica records to an Ellen Gleeson (of Harbour Grace). Has anyone else looked into this family? Wondering if they could be the parents of Margaret.

Post subject: Re: Peddle
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:20 pm 

I see by searching this site the baptismal record of a Margaret Peddle at St. Mary's Sept 4 1846, daughter of John Peddle and Mary Power. Also evidence of Peddle's here and there in Newfoundland.

My great aunt, Eliza Ann Taylor, married a William Peddle in 1891. Unfortunately I don't know where he was from, but according to US records he was born on Nov 24 1866. They were married at White Rock, which is on Trinity Bay North, not far from Clarenville. This is about 20 km across land from Eliza Ann's birthplace, Jamestown, known at the time as James Cove, which is on Bonavista Bay South. They moved to New England in about 1896. I have evidence that they lived in the Boston area, and perhaps in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont as well. They had two daughters, Amelia Jane, born in Newfoundland, and Annie, born in Massachusetts. Not sure this is of direct help re your current search, but may be of interest.

Graham Taylor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:13 am 

My ancestor Margaret's children were born in the 1840s thus the Margaret you mentioned is not one in the same however it is possible that Margaret (b.Sept 4 1846) could be a niece of my ancestor.

I know there are also Peddle/Piddle families from the Conception Bay area. I don't know if they are related to the Peddles of St. Mary's. The William you mention may have been from the Conception Bay area. The records from that area go back further than St. Mary's so you may have some luck there.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:12 pm 

Margaret Peddle is my 3x grandmother. She is married to Thomas Lee and his father is Patrick Lee. Nice to see someone related to me on here. I can be reached st shawnpower76@hotmail.com

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:23 pm 

I have in my data base many Peddles, but no sure they match up with who you are searching for. I have a WILLIAM PEDDLE 1866-1924, who first married WILHEMINA FRENCH, 1864-1933 together they had three children EDNA 1889, ELIZABETH 1890 CHARLES 1891. Second marriage was to MARGARET BALDWIN 1867-1914. PEDDLE/BALDWIN marriage was in Lake Forest, Illinois Jan 7 1893. Together they had nine children from 1893- 1908, JOSEPH, MARY ELLEN, MARGARET, RON, STANLEY, LAURA, ELLEN, RICHARD, JAMES.

In my data base have I have the following names that originated in Newfoundland around the Conception Bay area, and migrated to Lake Forest, Illinois: DOYLE, BALDWIN, PEDDLE, NUGENT.

Dennis Fitzgerald, adfitzgera@aol.com

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames