Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Furlong, Maloney,Dooley, White
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:40 pm 

looking for info on Matthew Furlong who married Margaret Maloney(mullowney) Matthew and Margret were born approx 1853 KIds were baptized at st Patrick RC church in St.johns NF names are Alexander,Thomas,Mary Francis ,Stephen Joseph,Margaret Mary,Catherine Mary cant seem to get any further back past Matthew and Margaret any help or info would be appreciated

Post subject: Re: Furlong, Maloney,Dooley, White
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:15 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I suspect that Margaret was the daughter of Stephen Mullowny and Frances Williams of Witless Bay due to the witnesses to her marriage to Matthew Furlong in 1882.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:57 pm 

Hi there:

I have a Matthew Furlong in my family. He was baptized 1850 July 14 and is the brother of my Great Grandfather, Lawrence Furlong. Their parents were John Furlong and Margaret Kent Furlong who had at least 8 children.

My notes say that this Matthew is a good "candidate" to be the Matthew who married Margaret Maloney from Bay Bulls, but I am not certain about that. I believe the Matthew in our family may have moved to Grand Falls NL. And there is a Williams/Furlong connection in our family, which I have not yet proven conclusively.

Any of this match your notes?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 pm 

Hi. yes some of your notes certainly do match. Matthew and Margaret (mullowney) had 6 kids all Baptized in St patricks in st.johns 1883 to 1890 the second oldest son of Matt and Margaret (Thomas Martin b1884 )is my wife's grandfather the Thomas martin family moved from Grand falls to Sydney cape Breton NS in 1928 members of the family at the time of the move were Thomas martin(father) Mary Dooley furlong (mother) sons Leo,Matthew ,Charlotte,Raymond (my wifes father)Myles,.2 more were added to the clan in N.S. Viola and Fred. so now i will check out John Furlong and Margaret Kent Furlong maybe as you say Matthew and Lawrence were brothers it is a little more info and more clues. thanx I do have more info on the Matthew while in Grand Falls their daughter Mary Francis died of epilepsy in 1927 ,Matthew died the following year 1928 at 76 yrs old

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:20 pm 

Hi again

Looks like we are getting close.

I have found eight baptisms for John Furlong and Margaret Kent Furlong; plus Margaret's parents Nicholas Kent and Anastasia Walsh Kent; and obits for John and Margaret and a whole lot more.

I have a picture that I think is Lawrence and Matthew and their wives which must be pre 1928 if that is when Matthew died, as your record show. I did not know that.

More than willing to share and compare notes, except I will be off line for several days. Would like to hear more about the Grand Falls connection.

A question-- does the name "SMITHVILLE" mean anything to your family??

Pat

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 am 

Hi. Pat
sorry it has taken so long to reply (works is busy right now) we have found info in passengers list it seems the family was taking "Vacation" to NS for a numbers of years prior to them moving there from Grand Falls the earliest we found was Thom. and Mary with 3 kids Maggie ,1912 -1916 Leo 1913 -? and Willie 1914-1917. we found death registrars for Maggie ( Margaret who died of some kind of asphyxia )and for Willie (William who died of meningitis )in NS records. the family continued making trips to and from NF sometimes her and kids other times the whole family until 1928 when the entire family moves to Sydney NS (Canada)the kids at the time were Leo age 10 Matthew age 5 Charlotte age 3.5 Ray (wife's father)age 2 and Myles 2mths. when the family lived in Grand Falls Matthew and Margaret (Thomas Martin"s parents )were living there too with 2 of their Children we have a 1921 census with Matthew as head at 68, Margaret as wife at 67,Fannie(Francis) daughter at 34, and Stephen son at 33 . we also have death registrars for Fannie (Francis )for 1927 with her dying from epilepsy and then the following year Matthew of influenza at 76 years of age.we then found that Margaret (Matthews wife )boarded a boat to Sydney NS from Port aux basques the following year 1929 when she arrived into Canada she is listed as a landed immigrant and lists the person she will be staying with as Thomas Furlong (son) living in Sydney, and the person she stayed with in Grand Falls as Stephen (son) from the she disappears for now .the only info we could find on Matthew was from his sons (Thomas Martin) record of death from NS we did find he married Margaret in Witless Bay (her hometown) and that their kids were born and or baptized in either the Basilica or St. Patrick's RC parishes in St. Johns . hopefully you can shine a little more light on Matthew for us we know he was born in 1853 but little else of his parents or siblings. we plan on putting pics up but first we have to assure Ray who is 92 this that we will return them in the same condition and we will not wreck them. sorry for the long winded reply and hoping to hear back . cheers
Chris

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:30 pm 

Hi Chris

Not to worry about the delay.

I do not have any info about who the children of Matthew and Margaret married, as I was not certain that is is "our" Matthew who married Margaret Maloney, so I did not pursue the family. So thank you for sending the info along. By the way, I have a baptism for them in 1893 May 07; a daughter Mary baptized in Bay Bulls and sponsors were John and Minnie Williams. That suggests their daughter Mary baptized 1885/04/31 may have died young and their last child was baptized Mary, which is not unusual. Seems like this couple may have moved to Bay Bulls before going to Grand Falls? I have reason to believe that our Matthew born 1850 July 14 moved his family to Grand Falls and I have looked at the census data for his family. But again, I did not follow them forward, if you know what I mean. Our Matthew born 1850 and your Matthew born 1853 could be the same person, as dates are known to have been confused, so we are in the realm of possibilities.

I have a lot of information on the family of "our" Matthew and will be more than willing to share, if we prove the connection. If he is not the same Matthew who married Margaret Maloney then you may not want a lot of info about a family that are not your ancestors? It has been a couple of years since I looked at this and since I could not prove the connection I moved on to other families.

So how do we prove the connection?

You mentioned you have pictures? As I said earlier, I have a picture of my great grandfather Lawrence Furlong with another man, who I believe is his brother Matthew and a second of Lawrence and his wife with the same other man and presumably his wife.
I could e mail you a copy of the pictures and you could compare with what you have; and/or you could e mail your pictures to me? Even if the unidentified man (and women) in my pictures do not compare well with the pictures you have of "your" Matthew and Margaret that does not mean there is not a connection. It would only prove that the man and woman in my pictures are not Matthew and Margaret!

My email is: pangel99@icloud.com; if you send me an e mail I will reply with the photos?

It is a start?

Pat

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:17 pm 

Hi again Pat I think it is a start we are planning on going on Sunday coming to get the Pics from to scan hopefully he is OK with it and we have a couple of pics of Matthews sons Leo,Matthew, and Ray when all 3 were in the army ww2 once we get those pics i will email them to you (perhaps some family resemblances may pop up )one of the things I am seeing is the Continuation of names it seems to run in the Family IE the number of Thomas's, Mary ,Charlotte's, Matthews and so on ,we were thinking the same thing on the birth dates and it seems this too was not uncommon . I will get back to you as soon as we get these pics scanned in thx for the reply cheers
Chris

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:44 pm 

Hi Chris:
Thanks for the pictures and I hope you received the ones I e-mailed you that I believe are Matthew and Margaret with my great grandparents Lawrence and Catherine Furlong.

As I said in my e mail, it now seems that your Matthew and my Mathew are the same person; the son of John and Margaret Kent Furlong baptized 1850 July 14 and who married Margaret Mullowney 1882 February 21, in Bay Bulls.

Note the name KENT, the maiden name of Matthew’s mother and how that appears in two of the baptisms for children of Matthew and Margaret:
1) At the 1884/04/06 baptism for their son Thomas, one of the sponsors was Matthew Kent. He was the first cousin of Matthew Furlong; Matthew Kent’s father and Matthew Furlong’s mother were brother and sister.
2) At the 1885/04/30 baptism for their daughter Mary Francis, one of the sponsors was Thomas Geant, which is more likely KENT; another first cousin of Matthew, same connections as above.
Also, Lawrence Furlong was sponsor at 1886/08/25 baptism for Stephen Joseph. Lawrence was Matthew’s brother (in the picture I sent you), although he would be 38 years old at time of baptisms, which seem old to be a sponsor? Edward Furlong sponsor at the 1888/10/09 baptism for Margaret Mary is still unresolved, as I have not placed him yet. Always something left to do!

In my e mail, I mentioned another Kent descendant from Princton NJ who has contacted me on the Kent/Furlong Ancestry. I am in St. John’s NL. We are looking forward to sharing info with you and hopefully you can provide information on the descendants of Matthew and Margaret. I will post more info here over the next few days. We have info on Matthew’s parents and even his grandparents.

It would be great if Ray could provide any confirmation for the man and woman in the picture.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:08 pm 

Hi Pat
we got talking to Ray on the weekend and were able to get some pics there are a few of rays brothers and sisters and a couple of his parents that i will pass along to you when we showed him the pics you sent he right away said the man on the left looked familiar and thought he looked a lot like one of his brothers and Lawrence looking a lot like the oldest (Leo)I have pics scanned in of Thomas martin and Mary Dooley on a 50th ? anniversary and Shirley has sent for the DNA test thru ancestry (which Christine said you and she have done ) just trying to get it all labelled properly then I will email pics to you. Shirley's sisters tend to think that the pics you sent bear a resemblance to the Furlongs on this side as well will keep you posted
cheers
Chris

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:52 am 

Hi Chris; my turn for a delayed response --sorry about that:

Thanks for the pictures and the update. I think we both have the same Matthew Furlong. I understand Shirley is getting her DNA done and that will help. In a way it is too bad that DNA is the way it is going to prove a connection, as it takes the fun out of the "chase" for records and putting together the pieces of the puzzle that already exist, if only we can find the pieces!

As it will take a few months for her DNA results to be available to her, I will provide the following summary of why I think we have the same Matthew:

1). My family files contain a post card that was sent to my G-G GF, Lawrence Furlong from his brother, Matthew Furlong. It is a picture of a log house and written on the back it says: " to Lawrence from Matthew, Grand Falls Log Cabin". So we know Matthew was in Grand Falls and there is no evidence that I can find of a Matthew being in St. John's area after 1893. I will send you a picture of that postcard.
2). The connection to the Kent family through the use of sponsors at two of the baptisms for Matthew and Margaret is very compelling. Matthew's mother was Margaret KENT Furlong.
3). The repetitive use of surnames. Matthew had a brother or sister name Francis. I think Francis was female as was Matthew had a sister named Fanny and your notes say he also had a daughter named Fanny?

I will send you an e mail file with all the baptisms, marriages and deaths for the family of John and Margaret Kent Furlong; as well as the family of Nicholas and Anastatia (Anty)Walsh Kent, who were Margaret's parents.

Another brief summary:
John Furlong (1802 to 1880) was born in Clongeen Ireland about 1802 (according to his obit); although his marriage record (1836 Nov.10) to Margaret says he was from Parish Rosegarland. I have more work to do in sorting that out.
Margaret Kent (1808 to 1886) was born about 1808 (according to her obit) but we have not found any record of that in NL. She may have been born in Ireland.
The "other" Chris and I are piecing together the history for Nicholas and Anty. Here is what we know so far:

Nicholas and Anastatia (Anty Walsh) Kent were definitely living in St. John’s in 1812 and perhaps earlier. It is possible they were living in Quidi Vidi or the area around the Fort William. They had at least 6 or 7 children, from 1808 to 1823, all girls except their youngest child Thomas. Anty died 1858 November 13 and her obituary provides our only other known information:

“Died - On Saturday evening the 13th inst, after a short and painful illness, which she bore with Christian resignation to the Divine Will, Anastatia, widow of the late Nicholas KENT, mason, aged 75 years.”

There is a lot more info but I wanted to provide the above summary. I will send you another e -mail, with files attached.

Pat

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames