Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: O'Reilly-Ruby
 Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 pm 

I have been researching my wife's relatives surname O'Reilly. I started with those O'Reilly's in Boston, MA and end up in Bay de Verde, Newfoundland. The name O'Reilly on baptism records ends in the 1850's but the surname Ruby appears in the baptism records before the 1850's. I am wondering if I have made the right connection. There seems to be no Ruby's after the 1850's.
Help!

Post subject: Re: O'Reilly-Ruby
 Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Your post is a bit confusing. I have never heard of any O'Reillys in Bay de Verde. The only O'Reillys I know of in this area are descended from Patrick O'Reilly and Elizabeth Whiteway who were married 17 November 1813 at Western Bay. They had at least five children: William, Johanna, John, Patrick, and Alice. William married Mary Fitzgerald, and Patrick married Jane Fitzgerald.

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:01 pm 

Edward: Sorry to be confusing.

I checked the NGB site then Bay de Verde, then vital statistics, then Roman Catholics Marriage1838-1891, then Sep 16 1846 and I find Patrick "Ruby" married Jean Fitzgerald. Is this Patrick O'Reilly's son?

Patrick O'Reilly is my wife's 3rd great-grandfather. Alice O'Reilly abt 1818 Married Mathias Howell 1838

I am trying to determine where "Ruby" came from.

Thanks

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:42 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I am afraid that "Ruby" is a transcription error. The original parish records for Northern Bay are difficult to read. There was no standardized spelling of names so "Jane" was written as "Jean", "Amelia" was written as "Emilia", etc...

Matthias Howell (c1808-1907) married Alice O'Reilly (c1814-1893) on 13 November 1838 at Harbour Grace. Matthias was an orphan who was raised by his uncle Oliver Penney. Patrick and Elizabeth O'Reilly offered him a generous portion of their estate if he would be received into the Catholic Church when Matthias married their daughter Alice.

Alice had a sister Johanna married to William Coole and I believe brother Patrick was married to Jane Fitzgerald. The O'Reillys and Howells are buried in Holy Rosary Cemetery, Western Bay. There aren't many old headstones.

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:11 pm 

Edward: You just made my day! For a year I thought that "Ruby" was O'Reilly and you confirmed it. Thank you for information on O'Reilly. Now if I can find the parents of Mathias Howell. His father was Howell and mother was Penny.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...