Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Tilley from Tilt Cove Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:33 pm 

HI There,

my daughter and I have recently started trying to do our family tree. My grandfather Fred Tilley was born in Tilt Cove in May 1909. just wondering which district Tilt cove is in . We are currently living in Cape Breton. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Fred and Emily Tilley

Post subject: Re: Tilley from Tilt Cove Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Tilt Cove is located in Notre Dame Bay. In its day it was the El Dorado of the colony and people from all parts flocked there to work in the mines. My guess is that Fred Tilley was the son of William Robert Tilley and Jessie Elizabeth Mitchell who were married at Tilt Cove on 3 May 1907.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:48 pm 

Hi Fred and Emily,

If you have not yet, I would suggest searching Tilley in the N.S. Vital Stats page for Cape Breton. https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Once you get your first results page, select Cape Breton County to narrow the results further. You should get 2 birth, 11 marriage and 10 death records to peruse. You will find a marriage record for a Fred Tilley bc 1909.

I have some info regarding Jessie Tilley, a widow, who married Fred Ludlow in 1921 in Sydney Mines. I believe that Jessie, nee: Mitchell, was first married to William Robert Tilley and the Fred Tilley mentioned above was their son.

Jessie was born in Tilt Cove and I have found in my family tree sleuthing that many of my relatives came from Tilt Cove to Cape Breton in the late 1800, early 1900s as the Tilt Cove Mine wound down and the coal mines of CB beckoned.

My interest is mainly in the Snow brothers, Mark, John Charles and Joseph and their families who came to CB from Tilt Cove. The Ludlows can also be linked back to Tilt Cove.

Feel free to email if I can help any further.

Regards

Gary

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:12 am 

Hi Fred, Your Tilleys originally started out in BETTS COVE now long abandoned, but near Tilt Cove, Nippers Hr, Indian Burying Place/Bobbys Cove, Shoe Cove, Rogues Hr, and a few other very tiny communities in Notre Dame Bay West, often referred to as GREEN BAY. Frederick Scott Tilley was born May 14 1909 Tilt Cove and married Jan 27 1934 Sydney Mines United Church to Emmeline Day. Edward has the parents correct. Fred's mother was Jessie Elizabeth Mitchell the dau of Eli Mitchell and Eleanor Jane Mackey: she was born Dec 12 1888 Beaver Cove NDB - died July 23 1956 North Sydney NS age 67. After Fred died, she remarried to Frederick George Ludlow (b Jan 28 1884 Tilt Cove - died 1934) son of Abel Ludlow & Emeline Shave.
William Robert Tilley was born Aug 16 1884 Bobbys Cove, near Indian Burying Place NDB, the son of Henry JAMES Tilley & Susannah Giles. His father Henry JAMES was born Feb 25 1862 Snooks Arm, NDB and died March 27 1916 Sydney Mines NS, the son of John Tilley and Anne Foss. His mother Susanna GILES was born Nov 18 1861 Indian Burying Place NDB and died Feb 23 1918 Sydney Mines, the daughter of William Giles and Victoria Bowns.
Children of William Robert Tilley & Jessie Elizabeth Mitchell included: (1) Carrol John (male) born dec 20? 1907 Tilt Cove - died Dec 28 1907 Tilt Cove age given as 10 days. (2) Frederick Scott Tilley b May 14 1909 Tilt Cove (3) Florence Tilley b Feb 25 1912 Sydney Mines - died 1986, buried Brookside Cemetery who married Jesse Jackson and who resided in 1980s at Saint John NB. Jesse Jackson wrote me a letter many many years ago asking for help with the family tree after he saw an article I wrote, I think, in the Nfld Ancestor. Jessie also had other children after her marriage to F G Ludlow but from a family obituary, I am not sure which of the children were Tilleys and which were Ludlows, except that Jean was a Ludlow and so was Ralph. Jean Ludlow married William Buffett, a dau Pearl married Woodrow Nicholson, an Eve married Ted Spencer, a Ken resided at St Catherines ON, and there was a Ralph all mentioned in the obituary. Jessie and F G Ludlow also had Ross Ludlow born Sep 6 1960 Sydney Mines - died Oct 20 1930. Some of the children may have been from Ludlow previous marriage. Kenneth was born around 1928 and died Feb 13 2011 St Catherines.
Henry JAMES Tilley's parents, John Tilley and Anne Foss were married Sep 8 1857 so were likely born in the 1830s, but there are no surviving records from that time in Notre Dame Bay as the records of the Anglican Church at Twillingate were burnt twice, in the 1870s and again in the 1910s I have been told, not so sure about the second burning. We have no surviving death records for John Tilley and Anne Foss, but I firmly believe that John Tilley was the son of Thomas Tilley and wife Emma Unknown who were living at Betts Cove NDB in the 1836 Census (though her name not given, only male head of household given). I think that Anne Foss was the daughter of John Foss & Grace Unknown, from Herring Neck and Round Harbour. Also, it is likely that Emma, wife of Thomas Tilley, remarried in 1852 to Thomas Denny (modern day Dinney) and therefore she was born around 1806 and buried Dec 18 1881 Stocking Harbour, Green Bay NDB age 75 years. I don't think these Tilleys are related to any other Tilley groups in Newfoundland, more likely Thomas was from England. Other Tilleys also came to Green Bay and Tilt Cove including my own from Kelligrews, Conception Bay NL, and people sometimes get the 2 groups mixed up. You can contact me a njillmarshall@aol.com for further information. Jill Marshall, St Johns NL.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames