Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Dobbin - St. Mary's Bay
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:21 pm 

This is in response to John Thompson's post under Introductions re: David & Anna Dobbin:

David Francis Dobbin b. 22 Aug 1897 was the son of Francis Dobbin & Elizabeth Power and the grandson of James Dobbin & ?. David birth, along with those of some siblings, can be found under the Baptismal Register of the Catholic Assumptions of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish, St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay, Newfoundland.

I have the following children listed for David and Anna (aka Anastasia):
- Elizabeth
-Teresa
- William
- Angela
- Raymond
- Elen
- Veronica
- John
- Albert

Post subject: Re: Dobbin - St. Mary's Bay
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:38 pm 

Another note for David Francis Dobbin - his grandparents were James Dobbin & Catherine Linehan - married 23 Nov 1856 (Provincial Archives of Newfoundland & Labrador - RC, St. Mary's, Box #1, Marriages: St. Mary's 1884-1891).

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:09 pm 

I have some info on the following couple that was shared with me so I haven't verified any of the info but what I have is that:
James Dobbin married to a Catherine Linehan with a daughter Mary-Ellen Dobbin born abt 1875 in Mosquito, NL died 5 Jun 1925 at St. Mary's Bay, NL she married James F. Byrne born Oct 1867 Harricot, NL died 24 May 1946 St. Mary's Bay, NL they were married abt 1898 and had 4 children: Leo John, Sarah Bridget, Catherine and Mary-Ellen.

Leo John married abt 1925 in NL to Hilda Power b Sep 1898 Regina, St. Mary's Bay. Leo died in 1935 in Boston, Mass., USA I have only one son Leo listed for this couple.

Sarah Bridget b abt 1898 Harricot, NL died 29 Jul 1961 St. John's, NL married abt 1920 in St. Mary's Bay to Cassimer Doody b Mar 1897 Mosquito, St. Mary's Bay. No children listed.

Catherine b 18 Jun 1898 Harricot, NL died 16 Jan 1997 Brentwood, Long Island, NY, USA was also called Kitty. She married 18 Dec 1919 in Colinet, St. Mary's Bay to Edmund-Edwin Isadore Doody born 31 Dec 1894 Colinet Island, St. Mary's Bay died 16 Apr 1963 Brentwood, Long Island, NY, USA. No children listed.

Mary-Ellen born 21 Apr 1900 Harricot, NL died abt 1969 in Brooklyn, NY, USA married abt 1925 in Brooklyn, NY, to Michael Walsh born abt 1895 in NL died abt 1973 in Brooklyn, NY. No children listed for this couple yet either.

I hope this is of help but as I said I haven't verified any of the information so please verify it yourself before you add it to your family tree. As for the husband's of Sarah and Catherine I don't have any info on their families so I don't know if they are related in any way.
Good luck.

Tish

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:38 pm 

Hi Tish,

Thank you for the information. I will add this to my information. I have lots of information on the Dobbin's of St. Mary's Bay and quite willing to share.

I'm wondering if you might have any information on Patrick Dobbin and Margaret Critch - I'm looking specifically to confirm the children of this couple and to confirm Patrick's father.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:59 am 

Hi Daisy,

I have a Patrick Dobbin in my tree but he's married to a Margaret Fleming somewhere around 1918. Guessing this is not the Patrick you are looking :-/

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:37 pm 

I have a Dobbin related question I'm wondering if anyone might have the answer.

I'm looking into the family of John Dobbin (b. ca. 1874; St. Mary's) who married (25 Jan 1902) Marie Tobin (b. 1877; Gaskiers). Would anyone know if Marie's parents were Martin Tobin and Catherine Critch?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:43 pm 

Hello rdflemming,

This is just a quick check and I might have further information but here is what I found:

Mary Bridget b. 31 Jan 1893 to Martin Tobin and Catherine Critch.

I have John Dobbin (b. June 28, 1871) s/o of Patrick Dobbin and Rose Quilty married to a Mary (don't have Mary's surname) - assume that this may be the same couple you mentioned.

This is not the direct line for our Dobbin family but may have more information -- would need to check further.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:59 am 

Hi Daisy,

I am related to the Critch side of things in this family tree question. The Mary Bridget (b.1893) that you mentioned I believe married Michael Kielly (b.1878).

There is a record in the NVS for a Marie Tobin m. John Dobbin.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKQX-TRFJ

Witnesses were Daniel Murray Alice Critch. Marie did have a sister Alice but I don't know if she married a Critch.

In later census records i've seen Marie listed as Mary(1921) and Margaret(1935) :-s

Just hoping to confirm/deny that the Marie Tobin who marries John Dobbin is the daughter of Martin Tobin and Catherine Critch, if it is a confirmation then i can add their family to my tree.

Thank you for your help!

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames