Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: James and Emma SNOW (Bay Roberts)
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:49 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Looking for info on James Snow who married Emma ? at Bay Roberts. They had the following children at Bay Roberts; James 1843, Jonathan 1845 and Henry 1849. Looking for Birth, Marriage and (surname of Emma) and any other information.

All and any information gratefully accepted.

Post subject: Re: James and Emma SNOW (Bay Roberts)
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:00 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Len,
this was in one of the obits in newpaper of 1917..could this be the James Snow you are looking for...it says he left wife and three children and his parents were John & Susan Snow.
Sill looking for more info....

Year 1917

Mr. JAMES SNOW, barber, of St. John’s, passed away on Sunday last. Cause of death was pneumonia. He was a native of Bay Roberts, son of the late John and Susan Snow. Deceased leaves a wife and three children to mourn their loss. Interment took place Tuesday in the General Protestant Cemetery.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:54 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Thank you for your reply, however I am looking for James Snow born about 1820's. I looked up the death of the James in your find and he was 38 yrs old when he died in 1917 leaving him born about 1879, possibly a grandson of the James I'm looking for.

I appreciate all replies and will check them out.

Thanks again
Len

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:57 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

I am trying to find a marriage for James and Emma Snow of Bay Roberts possibly in the late 1830 to 1840 time frame.
All Help Appreciated
Len

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:03 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Found the following in the Bay Roberts Burials;

Jan 1890 James Snow (Fisherman) died at age 79 yrs. Bay Roberts, Born abt. 1811.

11 Jun 1890 Emma Snow (Widow) died at age 78 yrs. Bay Roberts, Born abt. 1812.

Found in the Hr. Grace Baptisms Church Of England;

Baptised 23 Jun 1813 James Snow son of Edward and Margaret Snow.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:33 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

bump

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:08 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Visited the Provincial Archives at the Rooms on March 17, 2016 to check Voters Lists for Bay Roberts and found the following;

Voters List for Bay Roberts UNDATED but marked in ink at top of page 1889 or 1885 ?

Henry Snow age 68 FISHERMAN of James
Edward Snow age 25 Fisherman of James
James Snow age 77 Planter of James
Henry Snow age 34 Planter of James
Jonathan Snow age 40 Planter of James
George C. Snow age 22 Fisherman of James
Stephen Snow age 69 Planter of James
Stephen Snow Age 32 Fisherman of Stephen
Joseph Snow Age 49 Planter of Stephen
Isaac Snow age 44 Planter of Stephen
Charles Snow age 56 Planter of James
James Snow age 26 Planter of Charles
William Snow age 58 planter of Charles
John Snow age 26 Planter of William

Voters List 1855 Bay Roberts

James Snow of James
Henry Snow of James
Stephen Snow of James
George Snow of James
Charles Snow of James

Voters List 1858 Bay Roberts

James Snow
Stephen Snow
Henry Snow
Charles Snow
George Snow

Voters List 1874 Bay Roberts

James Snow of James
Stephen Snow of James
Henry Snow of James
George Snow of James
Charles Snow of James
Isaac Snow of James

Voters List 1878 Bay Roberts

James Snow of James
Stephen Snow of James
Henry Snow of James
George Snow of James
Charles Snow of James

Voters List 1882 Bay Roberts

James Snow of James
Stephen Snow of James
Henry Snow of James
George Snow of James
Charles Snow of James
Isaac Snow of James

Voters List 1885 Bay Roberts

George Snow of James
Stephen Snow of James
Henry Snow of James
Charles Snow of James
Jonathan Snow of James

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:48 pm 

Hi Len, in the VL records below, you have your James as son of James, plus a few more sons of his showing up as well.

What I will say is that, given the period, the likelihood of a baptism record for James and Emma unless they were born in Harbour Grace is slim. What I will say though is that the marriage records in Bay Roberts Box 1 at PANL have a wealth of marriage and baptism info starting about 1838, where you would likely find them and their children. These records are not available online.

I do have a lot of info on file from those records, but unfortunately, Snow was not a surname I was following. I am following Bradbury, Parsons, Russell, Brown and Jones -- since I don't have this marriage in my files, I think those at least those are not surnames that would apply to Emma! :)

I do have a marriage in Coley's Point for John Snow and Elizabeth Parsons on Dec 16, 1845 -- perhaps a sibling of your James?

I have noticed that the Snow line seems to start with your James' father James Senior in the region. I am guessing that he was born about 1780 based on his children's ages, and that he died before 1855 because he is not found in the Voters Lists that you have outlined below.

Regards,
Carol

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:00 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Thank you Carol for that information. I noticed that you are following BROWN at Bay Roberts. I am also trying to trace the Brown surname in Bay Roberts. William Brown born 6 Jan 1826 married Sarah Wood. His father was Thomas Brown born abt 1801 . William and Sarah Brown's daughter Mary Ann married Henry Snow son of James and Emma Snow. Any info you may have on the Brown family would be appreciated.The WOOD surname at Bay Roberts is also puzzling.

Thank you
Len

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:46 am 

Hi Len, I do have some Brown information that could be pertinent.

I have the VL's, but I think you likely do too? What I found interesting is that there are very few Browns in any early VL's. There was no Browns in 1855, William in 1858 (in Coley's Point), and then several Browns in Bay Roberts north side 1874.

There was a William that married Frances French (a good Bay Roberts name) in HG in 1798. I wonder if the family lived in HG for a time and then resettled to Bay Roberts? Or whether they were all down on their luck and unable to meet qualifications to vote? After all, while the Brown men in the 1889 VL were not the elders we would love to figure out, it did show that the men on the list were born in BR, having lived there all their lives....the eldest your William of Thomas having been there his whole 64 years.

I am lucky, because I have discovered that my Browns are all of nearby Spaniard's Bay, and are reasonably isolated as children of Robert Brown and Johanna Drover who married in 1797 in HG, she being of Upper Island Cove. They and their issue all have records, particularly marriage and death in Spaniard's Bay. His eldest son William (yet another William!) born about 1798 married Emma aka Amy Collins in Spaniard's Bay in 1823; that is my line.

I wouldn't doubt that your potential patriarch William and my Robert were siblings?

I do have the VL info, birth/baptism records for 7 children of William and Sarah, as well as several burials of their children, and Sarah herself. If you are missing any of these records, let me know and I'll send it along.

Regards,
Carol

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:50 am 

Me again Len,

And yes, agree -- Wood is a very odd name for Bay Roberts!

I don't have the marriage record for William and Sarah -- I was surprised at that given the dating -- likely late 1840's? do you have it? There was a few Woods in St John's, I wonder if they married there?

Carol

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:03 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Thank You, yes I have the marriage of William Brown and Sarah Wood, Dec 18, 1849 at Bay Roberts.Here it is as written in the church records.

Married William Brown and Sarah Wood both of Bay Roberts 18 December 1849 at St. Matthews Church Bay Roberts by W. Blackmore.Witnesses; James Wood, George Mercer, Richard _____?.

While going through the registry of deeds for land I found the following;

On June 2, 1836 Elizabeth French of Hr Grace sold land to her two brothers, Thomas Brown and Edward Brown at Hr Grace. also on June 3,1836 Elizabeth French sold land to John Talbot at Hr Grace.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:54 pm 

Len, I might have found something really interesting for you. I was researching on Ancestry today and found the following entry from another member.

"James Snow from Bay Roberts and Amy Mercer from Bay Roberts were married on May 29, 1836, at Port de Grave, by Rev. Charles Blackman. James & Amy signed the marriage Register."

I know from dealing with numerous records of the period that Amy and Emma were pretty much interchangeable as forenames. I think you may have your match here, maybe check the Port de Grave records at The Rooms?

Carol

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:43 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yes thank you, it's worth checking into .

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:08 am 

I am not directly related to the Snow's or Brown's of Bay Roberts but I do have some in my information.
I have a Thomas Brown married to Elizabeth, parents of William Brown. But I have his birth date as January 6 1825 not 1826. That is the date on his headstone. I had no wife for him, but he also has a sister, Elizabeth Brown baptized May 31 1839. She married Isaac Mercer on December 13 1860. (Thank you for Sarah Wood as spouse)
On the Snow side, I have a Jonathan Snow born around 1840 or 1842 married to Patience (no surname). I have five children for them, Emma Jane, Emily, John Charles, Sarah Ann and Edward. (Sarah Ann is married to my 1st Cousin 3 X removed). I do not have a James or Henry to fit his brother, nor a John and Emma to fit their parents. Not sure if this is your Jonathan
Last bumped by Len on Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:08 am.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...