Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Angel Family of Petty Harbour & St. John's
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:02 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi!
I am researching the Angel family who originated in Petty Harbour, starting with Samuel. Would love to hear from anyone who is interested in sharing.

My particular problem is with the Roman Catholic Angel's - I am missing a generation or two there and would love to make the connections.

Trishe

Post subject: Re: Angel Family of Petty Harbour & St. John's
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:38 pm 

Sorry don't have much to share but was helping you could help me. Do you have anything on an Anne Angel who married Joseph Bulley Dec 3, 1823. I believe that she married Richard Clements after Joseph died, but I have no record of her prior to marrying Joseph.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:05 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Ernie:

Anne Angel is believed to be the daughter of John Angel, born about 1769, & wife unknown.

John Angel born 1769 was the son of John Angel born before 1725 & Miss Whitten, and the grandson of the original Petty Harbour settler, Samuel Angel, born before 1703 in England, & his second wife, Sarah Unknown.

John Angel born 1769 is believed to have married a Catholic, therefore starting the RC line of Angels. His line is the last of the Angels to remain in Petty Harbour.

Anne Angel married Joseph Bulley 3 Dec 1823 and they had 6 children. Joseph Bulley died 14 Jan 1840. I too have heard she married Richard Clements after Joseph's death, but she continued to use the name "Anne Angel Bulley" until 1878, as witnessed in the wills of Catherine Stewart & Susan Rennie. Anne was a witness to the first will in 1865 and recieved a legacy from Susan Rennie in her will & codicil in 1877 & 1878. From the latter will, it appears that Anne Angel Bulley was living in Hastings, Sussex, England at that time.

If you are connected at all to Anne Angel, even indirectly, I would love to hear more about it. Every little bit helps!

Trishe

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:17 pm 

Thanks Trishe

I'm new to this and piecing together what I can find on this site and a couple of others. My connection is through Mary Ann Bulley (dtr of Joseph and Anne) who married James Weir. I think there may be another connection to the Angels as well through James' mother who was a Searle and seems to be decended from William Chafe and Mary Angel.

The basis for my making the Clements connection was Richard Clements' will which is on this site.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:23 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Ernie:

Anne Angel (married Joseph Bulley & Richard Clements) was the niece of Mary Angel married William Chafe. This means that Mary Ann Bulley (d/o Richard Bulley & Sarah Pearce) married her 3rd cousin, James Weir.

I'd love to hear more about the Weir family, should you be inclined to share. I can help you with the Chafe side of things and anything I might have.

Trishe

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 pm 

There seems to be lots of Chafe connections as well. For a start Sarah Pearce's mother was Marianne Chafe. Marianne Chafe married Richard Pearce.

Can I ask you what record's you've found for John Angel? I've seen him as a witness to some marriages but haven't seen much else for him.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:48 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Ernie:

There are not many of the old RC records still open for public reading. I only have knowledge passed along from those people who had been able to view the records in the past, before they were closed off due to others taking the records from the churches, or who gathered their information from sources other than church records - ledgers, property grants, wills, newspaper accounts, etc.

A number of us are now trying to gather what information we do know about the RC Angel families, in the hopes of being able to tie them together in another way, as opposed to simply looking for vital statistics.

We do know that the Angel's who remained in Petty Harbour were mainly of the RC religion, although there were some, such as Anne, who married an Anglican like Joseph Bulley and remained.

There are some RC Angels still not accounted for. This year, Ed Chafe found a 1843 record for 2 RC Petty Harbour Sealers - Richard Angel & John Pridham. I have yet to find accounts of either man, yet they both obviously existed.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:56 pm 

The only other Weir Angel connection I see is James' sister Elizabeth married a William Angel Dec. 22, 1871, he would appear to be the son of Edward and Elizabeth Angel.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:11 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Ernie

Elizabeth Weir, 26 Jul 1850 - 14 Aug 1881, married 22 Dec 1871 William Henry Angel, 21 Jan 1847 - ???, s/o Edward Angel & Elizabeth Williams.
Issue: 6 children

William Henry Angel next married 16 Dec 1884 Mary Susan Bennett, abt 1863 - ???.
Issue: Edward Alexander Angel, born 31 Jul 1885

Do you happen to have a death date for William Henry Angel?

Marriages for any of William Henry Angel & Elizabeth Weir's children?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:08 am 

Hi Trishe!

Sorry we haven't been in touch for a while, but we really haven't had anything new to report on the Angell/Angel side of things. We have however ordered a CD from the UK for Pre Civil Registration Marriages 1607-1837 in Maker, Cornwall, England on the basis of its apparent connection with the Susannah Angell b. abt. 1724, the daughter of the first Samuel Angell in Petty Harbour and his wife Sarah.

I know there is evidence of the marriage between Susannah Angell & William Trounce, and her half sister Lucy (Luce) Angell's marriage to John Collins (Collings) occuring in Dittisham, Devonshire, England (this appears to be the Lucy Collings mentioned in Samuel Angell's 1720's will). I also had some references to this Susannah Angell being born in Maker, Cornwall, England so I thought we'd have a look into that. Of cource, nothing might come of it but I'll keep you informed. We've also ordered a CD for Maker Baptisms 1744 - 1841, however we don't expect to find anything much in that, hopefully some addtional children of Susannh Trounce (we have 2) nee Angell and Lucy Collings nee Angell (we only have them with 1 child so far).

Anyway, hopefully this isn't a rabbit hole you've already looked into.

Sarah Angell

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:14 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Sarah:

Great to hear from you. I'll be interested in seeing what you find. I have nothing from England at all, not even the marriages you mention.

I haven't done too much on the Angel family of late. We were hoping for a breakthrough in regards to one family but the lady still has not sent anything, after many months of waiting. In the meantime, I have been researching some of my other families.

Ray is still working away at all his families. He'd love it if you dropped him a line, even to say "Hello". Jimmy and I are heading back to Newfoundland, likely in July this year. I would dearly like to be able to spend a day or two getting some research done. We will most likely stay in St. John's for 4 or 5 days and go to Fogo for another 3.

If anything breaks, I'll certainly let you know! Take care.

Trishe

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:56 am 

Hi Trishe,

The marriages we're looking into are for the siblings and half siblings of John Angel (or Angell) b. abt 1725 in Petty Harbor (son of Samuel Angell of Petty Harbor and his wives (1) Lucy and (2) Sarah). Just in case anyone else is looking for the info I'll do a summary.

Possible children of Samuel Angell and (1) Lucy Unknown (per the transcription of Samuel Angell's will dated 22 July 1728, and proved in 1734 at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury by Samuel's wife, Sarah Angell). These children are not listed in any particular order.

1. Lucy (Luce) Angell m. John Collings (Collins) on 11 Nov 1723 in Dittisham, Devonshire, England. Lucy Collings nee Angell d. 01 Nov 1775 in Dittisham, Devonshire, England and had at least 1 child: Mary Collings b. 19 Oct 1738 Dittisham, Devonshire, England. Samuel Angell's will specifically refers to both Lucy Collings and her husband John Collings.

2. Elizabeth Angell m. (1) Unknown Pearce and possibly (2) Phillip Watts.
Note: In Samuel Angell's will Elizabeth is referred to as Elizabeth Pearce so she must have been married to Mr Pearce by the time the will was supposedly written in 1728, and therefore was probably born around 1700. I understand Ray Leaman has done some research into the fact that this Elizabeth Angell later married magistrate Phillip Watts. However, there is some confusion on this point as Samuel Angell's will refers to "my daughter Mary Watts that I had by my present wife Sarah Angell". It could be that there is a transcription error and Mary Watts was incorrectly recorded as Samuel Angell's "daughter", and should have been listed as his "granddaughter". This is based on the fact that Phillip Watts is recorded as being the father of a Mary Watts who later married Phillip Bidgood in abt 1765 in Newfoundland, and who was listed as being in possession of some of the Angell lands in Petty Harbor some years later. However, given that Mary Watts is referred to several times as the "daughter of my present wife, Sarah Angell" it may be that Elizabeth Angell did not marry Phillip Watts, and there was in fact another daughter named Mary who married a Mr. Watts. Whether Mary Watts spouse was in fact Phillip Watts the magistrate, a relation of his or another unrelated Mr. Watts remains a mystery.

3. Samuel Angell m. Elizabeth Unknown

4. Claire Angell - Note: It does not appear that Claire was married at the time Samuel Angell's will was written in July 1728.

Possible children of Samuel Angell and (2) Sarah Unknown (per the transcription of Samuel Angell's will dated 22 July 1728, and proved in 1734 at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury by Samuel's wife, Sarah Angell). These children are not listed in any particular order.

1. Susannah Angell (b. abt. 1724 supposedly in Maker, Cornwall, England) m. William Trounce on 27 Jul 1742 in Dittisham, Devonshire, England. Susannah Trounce nee Angell d. 11 May 1748 in Maker, Cornwall, England. William and Sarah Trounce had at least 2 children, both born in Maker, Cornwall and named Susannah Trounce, one on 09 Oct 1744 and another 2 years later in 19 Oct 1746.

2. Mary Angell (see notes above on Elizabeth Angell regarding the possible marriage of Mary Angell to a Mr. Watts)

3. Ann Angell - Note: It does not appear that Ann was married at the time Samuel Angell's will was written in July 1728.

4. Sarah Angell - Note: It may be that this Sarah Angell was in fact Samuel Angell's step daughter, as Samuel refers to her on his Will as "my daughter" but also adds "the daughter of my wife Sarah Angell".

5. John Angell b. abt 1725 in Petty Harbor, Newfoundland m. Miss Whitten in abt. 1744.

I should note our thanks to Vanessa Trampleasure (who sadly passed away a few years ago) for first alerting my family to the existence of Samuel Angell's 1728 Will and of course to Ray Leaman of Newfoundland for his ongoing valuable research assistance to us on all things connected to Petty Harbor, St. John's and the Angell/Angel family.

- Sarah Angell

Last edited by SJ-Angell on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:33 am 

Hi Trishe. Here's what we got for the Pre Civil Registration Marriages - Maker, Cornwall, England

References to Angell/Angel:
Ann Angell m. Richard Brabant - 2 July 1726
Elizabeth Angell m. John Wilkinson - 4 March 1718/1719
Mary Angell b. Richard Penn - 11 March 1726/1727
Patience Angell m. Joseph Gaich - 10 March 1728/1729
John Angel (also Angellin Bishop's Transcripts) m. Ann Brusey - 9 Sep 1722 (or 12 Sep 1722 in Bishop's Transcripts).

At this stage I don't see any connection to the early Petty Harbour Angell/Angel family. I'll let you know if we come accross anything else when we receive the 2nd CD on Baptisims for Maker, Cornwall.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:50 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Sarah:

Thank you so much for concisely and clearly laying out your findings on Samuel Angel's children.

I have never seen a copy of Samuel's will myself, so I must rely on other's to interpret it for me.

The issue of Elizabeth & Mary is indeed a confusing one. The possession of land makes a strong case for Philip Watts being related in some way to Samuel Angel. We do know that Mary Watts' (who married Philip Bidgood) mother was Elizabeth (1794 Census). It leaves us with several possibilities: Philip Watts married twice, to Mary Angel and to Elizabeth Unknown; Samuel & Sarah's daughter was Mary Elizabeth; or Mary Angel, d/o Samuel & Sarah, married a Watts Unknown. I do not think that last one is correct, given the small size of Petty Harbour.

I did not know that Samuel Angel, s/o Samuel & Lucy, had married. He stayed in England, did he not?

Thanks Sarah.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:58 am 

Hi Trishe. I agree the whole Elizabeth/Mary Angel and possible Watts marriage/s are particularly confusing. The problem is that we really only have the will to go on, given how long ago this all occurred. Of course if we had some record of those early births and marriages it would probably make it much clearer. That was what behind my attempt to try and trace any record of Samuel Angel's children by his first wife, hoping that there might also be some connection to his children by his second wife. It's a long shot, but in genealogy all we have is time!

The other problem of course is that the will I referred to is a transcription, and not an original. It therefore makes it difficult to determine how good of a source it is. I've recently being volunteering at the Queensland State Archives here, and the amount of transcription errors, mis-readings, and handwriting errors boggles the mind.

In relation to Samuel Angel's son, Samuel by his first marriage - I had come across a reference to this Samuel Angel marrying an Elizabeth Unknown on Family Search (not the most academic source I know). And there was an early Newfoundland record referring to a Samuel Angel with a wife Elizabeth at this time, although it is rather circumstantial. So I think I'll edit that marriage reference with with a question mark.

I'll also try and email you a copy of the will - Sarah

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:50 am 

I was wondering if anyone had any theories on the relationship of Stephen Angel to the rest of the Angel/l families in Petty Habour and St. John's. In the Account of Inhabitants Residing in the Harbor & District of St. John's, 1794-1795 (Petty Harbour) a "Stepn Angel" is listed as living in a property owned by Christopher Angel (Christopher Angel was born abt. 1771, son of the first John Angel b. abt 1725). I assume "Stepn" is short for Stephen and not shorthand for something else, but contrary suggestions welcome.

Does anyone ever come across any other references to this Stephen Angel, or have any theories on how he could be connected to the rest of the Angel family? Perhaps he is completely unrelated? Given the census was taken in 1794/95 he can't have been old enough to be one of Christopher's nephews, which leaves the possibility of him being either a "lost" sibling of Christopher's (unlikely) or a perhaps a nephew/step-nephew of the first John Angel b. abt 1725, based on the fact that John had 1 step brother by the name of Samuel Angel. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:30 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The following list of persons born at Old Perlican prior to 1800 was based on the Old Perlican Wesleyan Methodist Baptismal Register:

NAME BORN DIED

Ann Angel 1759 1839

I just noticed this while searching through records on this site. Thought you may be interested.

Len

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:06 pm 

Hope it is useful:

Evening Telegram: Aug 11 1895 Died at Bay of Islands Margaret wife of Geffery Callahan & youngest dgt of Samuel Angel of Petty Harbor, left husband, 4 sons 1 dgt

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:20 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I really have no idea of who that early Stephen Angel was. The name "Stephen" does not seem to re-appear until 1904 (McAlpine's Directory for St. John's City); 1921 Census St. John's (Young St); and the Will of Stephen Angel, dated 1920, Probated 1925. This Stephen would have been born in 1859 St. John's.

I do not know who he is either, as there were so many gaps in the records. No way right now of knowing if he was Anglican or RC.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:23 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thanks Len. This is yet another mystery lady for us to find. A very early one as well.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:33 am 

Hmmm. I did a search and found the following in Sacred Heart RC Marriages, Curling, Nfld:

# Dwnysuim O'Callahan of Fairview (parents Jefferi & Margaretta Angel) m. Margarita Duggan of Port us Gratiae (parents Joannis & Bridget Yetman), Aug 20 1897; and
# Theodore Bradrick of Carbonear (parents Joannis & Joanna Pike) m. Catherine O'Callahan of Corner Brook (parents Jeffery & Margaret Angel), Jan. 1, 1900.

There is also a marriage for Annastasia O'Callahan of Chateau, but her parents are listed as Patrick & Winnifred Doyle, which is a bit odd, unless she was a widow. Am I wrong or is there a connection between the Doyle family and/or the Angel family and Petty Harbour? It also seems the name switches between O'Callahan and Callahan (possibly also O'Callaghan?), with Dwnysuim O'Callahan being 1 of the 4 sons, and Catherine the daughter mentioned in the Evening Telegram.

Given that Margaret (or Margaretta) is mentioned as the youngest daughter of Samuel Angel of Petty Harbour I'm inclined to think she is connected to the family. Now to figure out which of the many, many Samuel Angel's they are referring to. I also found these entries in the Fairview Presbyterian Cemetery, Corner Brook, BOI, Nfld and Sacred Heart RC Burials, Curling, Nfld (due to the cemetery being moved at some point no one is now sure which burials were RC and which were Presbyterian):

SURNAME GIVEN BORN DIED WHERE AGE CAUSE BURIAL
Angel Margaret Bay of Islands Oct 1 1895 Fairview 64 yrs Syncope Fairview (typo of 1 Oct vs. 11 Oct 1895 in the Evening Telegram?)
O'Callahan Jeffery M Corner Brook Aug 10 1897 Fairview 3 mo Spinal Disease Fairview
O'Callahan Margaret Corner Brook June 22 1906 Corner Brook 6 mo Consumption Fairview
O'Callahan Ronald Corner Brook Nov 4 1906 Corner Brook 3 yrs Typhoid Fever Fairview
O'Callahan Bridget Corner Brook Dec 6 1906 Corner Brook 3 mo Whooping Cough Fairview
O'Callahan Bernard Corner Brook Oct 22 1908 Corner Brook 7 weeks Debility Fairview
O'Callahan Jeffrey Carbonear Jan 7 1897 Corner Brook 75 yrs Pneumonia Fairview

Which seems to corroborate the Evening Telegram, and would mean Margaret Angel was b. abt. 1830, daughter of Samuel Angel of Petty Harbour. The only Samuel Angel I have around that time that could have had a daughter would have been Samuel Angel b. 21 Nov 1802, Petty Harbour, d. 22 Dec 1875 (s/o Samuel (John) Angel and Jane Gerrard m. 16 Nov 1787). I have no other details on who this Samuel married, and simply a un-cited reference to him having three children: Samuel, John and Jane. Anyone got anything more on him or another likely Samuel Angel candidate?

Trishe - these might be some of your missing RC Angel's!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:36 am 

Oops - I see now the "Doyle" reference to Annastasia O'Callahan was her mother's maiden name.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Like the Chafes, the Angel family is a challenge to research because of repetitive naming patterns. There were men named Samuel Angel who married Roman Catholics. The first was Samuel Angel who married Margaret French on 9 January 1822 (witnesses: Jacob Angel & Robert French). They had at least three children: Sydney, born 1830; Margaret, born 1832; and Ellen, born 1836.

Sydney Angel was the witness to the marriage of "Mary" Angel and "Gregory" Callahan at St. John's on 1 October 1854.

The second Samuel Angel married Mary Power. They had the following children: Richard, born 1834; Samuel, born 1837; Priscilla, born 1839; Jane, born 1842; and John, born 1845.

The choice of Godparents provides a few clues. The children of Samuel Angel and Margaret
French had two Godmothers who were Angels: Elizabeth Angel (1830) and Mary Angel (1832). The Godparents for the children of Samuel Angel and Mary Power suggest some connection with the descendants of Samuel Angel and Jane Gerrard.

The Roman Catholic burial register further adds to the confusion (the ages are a bit sketchy):

Buried 24 December 1875, Samuel Angel, aged 93 years, resided at Water St. West
Buried 27 April 1876, Samuel Angel, aged 102 years, resided at Old Chapel Lane
Buried 14 February 1879, Samuel Angel, aged 89 years, resided at Water St. West
Buried 3 June 1884, Samuel Angel, aged 10 years, resided at Water St. West

The obituaries for these men provide different ages:
Samuel Angel, aged 74 years, Water St. West (28 December 1875)
Samuel Angel, aged 86 years, buried at Petty Harbour (18 February 1879)

The descendants of Samuel Angel and Jane Gerrard resided at Water St. West on land inherited from Thomas and Priscilla Gerrard.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Folks:

It's getting interesting now! I have been working on the Angel family for a while now, with loads of help from many others. The RC Angels are the toughest family for me as I do not have access to the Catholic records - I'll be in St. John's from July 14 - 20 and will be looking for them then.
Samuel Angel, 1802 - 1875, married 1830 Mary Power. According to his will, he had three children: John, Jane & Samuel. That is not to say he did not have more who died before him. We know he also had Richard, baptized 1 Dec 1834. Did Rihard die before his father or was he left out of the will for a reason? Perhaps he had already received an inheritance, since I believe Richard born 1834 to be the same Richard who died in 1904.

As you stated Ed, this Samuel Angel seems to be the son of Samuel Angel & Jane Gerrard, based partly in the fact that he died at Water St. West.

I did not have the Samuel Angel married to Margaret French in 1822, unless he was the Samuel born @ 1793 to John born 1769? Since we suspect John born 1769 to be one of the first RC Angel's, that would make sense.

Ed, there is also the "missing" Richard Angel you found in the RC Ledger as a sealer in 1843. Where does he fit in?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:56 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Ed, you mentioned that Samuel Angel married Mary power had a daughter, Priscilla, born 1839. That interests me as Samuel & Mary's son Samuel who married Mary whelan named one of their daughters Priscilla, following the pattern.

Of course, then we have Edward Angel & Ann Watts Bidgood who named one of their daughters Priscilla in or about 1810.

And Jacob Angel was supposedly the brother of Samuel Angel, although one was baptised in March 1802 and the other in November 1802.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:32 am 

I don't have anything on the Samuel Angel who married to Margaret French in 1822 either. I have any number of French's marrying Angel cousins but not this couple. Bother... Would value any info anyone can shed on this couple and how they fit into the Angel family.

Also, just to add confusion to the mix I have a reference to a Baptismal date of 29 Nov 1797 in Petty Harbour of one Samuel Angel. Can anyone confirm which Samuel this baptisim was for, as I can't seem to locate my source. I had thought it may have been an earlier child Samuel and Jane (Gerrard) Angel had and who died young before their son Samuel Angel was born on 21 Nov 1802. Thoughts?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:57 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Trishe, there appear to be several men named Richard Angel.

There is a Richard Angel (c1767-1813) who arrived in 1784. He may or may not be the Richard Angel who was married to Sarah and had two children - John and Sarah baptized Anglican in 1800. Or the second Richard may be the man who married Sarah Phelan who had three children - Henry (1810); Richard (1816); and Catherine (1818) baptized as Roman Catholics.

I have the pieces to the puzzle but I do not know how they fit together. John Angel and Mary Shanahan had a son Richard (1838). All of the Godparents for his children were Petty Harbour people.

There was a Richard Angel who married Ellen Hearn in November 1851; a Richard Angel who
married Bridget Anne Morey on 16 January 1865; and a Richard Angel who married Mary Anne
Scurry on 26 December 1870. They could be three different gentlemen or the same man remarrying.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:46 am 

This is not the first time I have cursed the the Angel/l family and their repetative naming traditions. Eight generations later and my parents decided to name myself and my siblings Sarah Jane, Richard William and Elizabeth Anne (without knowing anything about the Newfoundland family history at the time).

Edward - I had always assumed that John and Sarah Angel Bap. 8 Aug 1800 were the children of Richard Angel (b. abt. 1797) and Sarah Jane Phelan, as were Henry, Catherine and Richard. However as you point out, John and Sarah were baptized Anglican (approximatly 10 years earlier) and Henry, Richard and Catherine were baptised RC's. Another mystery to add to the pile.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:29 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Sarah & Ed:

Puzzle...mystery...clues. And here I thought the Chafe family was hard!

First, Samuel Angel baptized 29 Nov 1797 Anglican was the son of Samuel Angel & Jane Gerrard. He died before 1801.

Our problem with the multiple Richards comes with only two main clues - religion and birth location.

We know that John Angel born 1769 was the last line of Angel's to remain in Petty Harbour and his line were RC.

BUT, John Angel born 1769 was not the ONLY RC Angel. Samuel Angel & Mary Power baptized their children RC. We know that Samuel Angel was born in St. John's, as his father, Samuel Angel (Jane Gerrard) was living on Water St. West by 1794. So Richard Angel, bap. 1 Dec 1834 RC, s/o Samuel Angel & Mary Power, likely married RC in St. John's, if he did indeed marry. He is not mentioned in Samuel's (1802) will.

John Angel & Mary Shanahan were RC and remained in Petty Harbour, making John the son of John born 1769. John & Mary (Shanahan)'s son Richard, born about 1838, married Mary Anne Rogers or Scurry, depending on who you listen to. One of the family says "Rogers" while the gravestone says "Scurry". I only have two children for this couple now, but there had to be more. Richard stayed in Petty Harbour until at least 1881; he moved to St. John's so his children could attend the Christian Brothers School.

John Angel born 1769 Petty Harbour had other sons who likely had children: Samuel, 1793-1879; Joseph Angel, abt 1815 - 1836, married Elizabeth Pridham; he also could have had more children besides the girls. I am thinking of the Richard Angel the sealer in 1843, who was found on the same vessel as John Pridham - both RC. That Richard would have been a Petty Harbour man.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:47 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

John Angel and Mary Shanahan had at least eight children:

Sarah, baptized 5 October 1832
Anne, baptized 13 May 1836
Richard, baptized 23 June 1838
Jane, baptized 17 April 1840
Rose, baptized 4 September 1842
Joseph, baptized 29 September 1844
Ellen, baptized 26 December 1845
Theresa, baptized 5 October 1850

I have spent the afternoon thumbing through my old notebooks for clues I may have overlooked. I think I may have uncovered a reason why the Angels might have wanted to leave Petty Harbour.

In October 1864, twenty men broke into the fish store of merchant Edward Doyle and stole 250 quintals of fish. The fishery had been extremely poor and many people were destitute. Richard, Henry, Joseph, and John Angel Sr. were among those charged and were sent to the penitentiary.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames