Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: Ellen Leary - Fox Harbour
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:31 pm 

I am looking for information on Ellen Leary - Fox Harbour, born Feb 12, 1858-60, died May 19, 1931 in Dunville. She married William J. Dunphy of Dunville. I am trying to find her parents names. She may have possibly had brothers Martin & John Leary of Fox Harbour. She would be my great grandmother, the mother of John, Michael, William, Tom, Mary, Margaret, Mathew and Ellen Dunphy from Dunville. Michael is my grandfather who immigrated to Boston in the early 1900's. I do have a photo of William & Ellen Dunphy for reference. Any information would be helpful. Kevin Sullivan

Post subject: Re: Ellen Leary - Fox Harbour
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:39 pm 

Hello,
This Newfoundland Grand Banks site has the Argentia RC parish baptismal records transcribed. This parish would have covered Fox Harbour in Placentia Bay East.
It lists an Ellen Leary, baptized May 1, 1859. No birth date given. Parents were Mathew Leary and Agnes Folay This couple also had a son Michael baptized on May 12, 1855 and a son John baptized on March 6. 1861. I have enclosed the link to the page with those parish records. I just scanned the list quickly. If you think this is your family you might want to through more closely.
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/1psm-parish-idx.shtml
Good luck,
Linda Moss

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:45 pm 

Hello Linda,

Thank you so much! Do you happen to know what parish or cemetery they usually have been buried in? Perhaps Mt. Carmel? I feel strongly that this is my GGrandmother.
Thanks again
Kevin Sullivan

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:02 pm 

Hello again Kevin,
It appears that Ellen and William Dunphy were both buried in Placentia - Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Cemetery. The cemetery transcriptions are found on the Newfoundland and Labrador GenWeb site. Ellen's marker was erected by a son William and the date of death matches your post. However it has her age at 74 at the time of her death. William Dunphy's death was Aug. 31, 1921 and the marker erected by his wife Ellen. Here is the link to open that page.
http://nl.canadagenweb.org/pbeast_cem_placentia_rc2.htm
Here also is a link to her provincial death registration. She is on line #23

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1790939
hope this helps,
Linda Moss

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:02 pm 

Hi Linda -

Thank you so much for your info. I should have been a bit clearer in my request as I actually have that info about William and Ellen in Mt Carmel. I was actually wondering if the Leary's from Fox Harbour listed in the Argentia Parish records (Mathew & Agnes, as well as the brothers John and Mathew) that you pointed me to were buried in Mt. Carmel? I was hoping to see if Ellen's parents were buried there and I could guess their birth year or age... I keep plugging away... I do appreciate your help. Getting Ellen parents names was something I have been trying to get for years and you helped me on that so thanks again,.

Kevin Sullivan... by the way I have a lot of info on my family from NF not only the Dunphy and now Leary but also the Wyse and Doody families..

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:17 pm 

Hello again Linda -

Thank you so much for your leads.. I was able to find the marriage record for Mathew and Agnes Foley and the baptismal records of all their children. I found them on redisland.com

Thanks again.

Kevin Sullivan

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:51 am 

Kevin,
Glad to hear of your search success.
Linda Moss

Board index » General » General Discussion