Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Murphy of Kilbride
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:28 pm 

In searching for someone else in Bellingham, Wa - I ran across this obituary for Catherine Murphy from Kilbride area of St John's - she would have been born in 1929 and is listed on the 1945 census. She lived on a dairy farm.

The obit can be found at www.sigsfuneralservices.com under Catherine Jewell.

It is fairly long and interesting and lists family members.

Post subject: Re: Murphy of Kilbride
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:33 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thanks, Linda, for taking the time to post an obituary that doesn't even 'belong' to your family! Sort of like "Pass It On". Hopefully someone will find it beneficial - I know I did!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:24 am 

Hi Linda,
Thank you for the obit!! Actually, Bellingham is just north of where I live here in Washington.

Her parents were James R. Murphy and Margaret (Mary) Densmore.
Her g-parents were Michael Murphy and Mary Sinnott.

I see that I'm missing 2 of her siblings. I might be able to figure out who they are, when I enter the obituary and look at my other data.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:37 pm 

Hi Chris,

If you are related to the Murphy family of Kilbride, you might be interested in some history of the area. In the early part of the 19th century, the Goulds and Kilbride area was largely settled by the Irish who farmed the area after receiving land grants from the government.

My ggg grandgather James Toole was one of the Irish settlers. Another Irish farmer in that area was James Murphy who was born in Wexford, Ireland c.1816 and died 9 Dec 1881. His wife was Catherine from Kilbride. She died 25 May 1887 at the age of 72. They had a son named Richard who died 23 Mar 1867 aged 7.

Another friend of my ggg grandfather was William Sinnott. He was born in Adamstown, County Wexford, Ireland c.1800 and died 7 June 1868. Your Mary Sinnott was his descendant.

James Murphy and William Sinnott are buried in the Belvedere Cemetery in St. John's.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:42 pm 

Also I should add the link to the Will of Catherine Murphy:
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Wills/murphy-ca ... -124.shtml

Here you will find the names of the sons William, Henry, Patrick, John and Michael and the daughters Margaret (married William Tobin) and Catherine (married John Ryan).

The Will even mentions James Murphy (son of Michael) who is (with little doubt) your James who married Margaret (Mary) Densmore!!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:27 pm 

Thanks Linda, Catherine was my mom's 1st cousin, we just lost the last member of that part of our family Leo Murphy of Kilbride died October 29, 2015 in St. John's, Thank you again for posting it.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:01 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Sorry to hear about Leo, Deb. I missed that. Hope all is well with you.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:23 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Greg, Would you be able to tell me please who William Sinnott Sr.'s wife was? And thank you for the death date which I did not have.

I only have one child for this William, a son, William (no birthdate but died 1906), married Catherine Meehan (1828-1889), no parents known.

Thanks for your postings!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:07 pm 

Hi Everybody, Just reading this post about Catherine Murphy Jewel, she was the daughter of James Murphy and Mary Densmore, that James Murphy was born to Anthony Murphy and a girl Kelly. but it was her sister Margaret ( my grandmother) who married the James Murphy whose parents were Michael Murphy and Mary Sinnott, daughter of William Sinnott and Catherine Meehan. Anne Densmore the oldest sister married a James Murphy also, not sure what his fathers name was but his mother was an Angel from Petty Hr. they lived in Boston.
We had 3 Densmore girls who married 3 James Murphy's none of them related.
Their brother Peter Densmore is buried in the Goulds with his 2nd wife Liza Hannaford.

William Sinnott grandfather to my Mary married a girl Catherine from Hr. Grace I think, she died on Old Bay Bulls Road at the age of 100 in the 1880's, can't find my info right now so this is coming from my memory only.

Post subject: Re: Sinnott of Kilbride
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:22 pm 

Hi Tishe, long time since I've been on this site, you mentioned William Sinnott and Catherine Meehan, they had sons William and John, daughters Mary (my ggrandmother)married Michael Murphy, Elizabeth who married Edward (Ned) Walsh, Margaret who married James Brennan ( brother to Catherine Brennan Densmore whose 3 daughters married the 3 James Murphy's lol). Another sister Catherine I think her name was married a guy Aylward ( Alyward ) from Kilbride. This is just coming from memory I will try to find my info.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:08 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Deb: Good to hear from you.
So, Catherine (Murphy) Jewel's grandparents were Anthony & Kelly Murphy. I had her grandparents as John Murphy & Elizabeth Byrne. Hmmm, I'll have to find a source for James' birth/baptism as I don't have his.

Anne Densmore married James Patrick Murphy, s/o Michael Murphy & Mary Angel. James & Annie lived in Everett and then Melrose, Mass.

Deb, you've given me two more daughters for William Sinnott & Catherine Meehan! More lookups! They also had a daughter Bridget - I have nothing more on her.

William Sinnott was the s/o William Sinnott (1800-1868) & Unknown Wife.

Post subject: Re: Sinnott of Kilbride
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:45 am 

debmullins wrote:
Hi Tishe, long time since I've been on this site, you mentioned William Sinnott and Catherine Meehan, they had sons William and John, ........ Another sister Catherine I think her name was married a guy Aylward ( Alyward ) from Kilbride. This is just coming from memory I will try to find my info.

I think that Catherine Aylward you are remembering might be the one who married William and Catherine's son John SINNOTT (married 21 dec 1881 at Kilbride)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thanks Corrine. John Sinnott DID marry a Catherine Aylward. Deb was drawing information off the top of her head (which is remarkable!) as she was not near her data.

William & Catherine DID have a daughter Catherine as far as I know but I do not have any information on her.

William Sinnott and Catherine Meehan also had a daughter Bridget(1867-1929) who married 1900 Michael Tracey (1868-1940).

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:37 pm 

Hi there: I'm not sure if anyone is interested in info on Mary Angel who married Michael Murphy.
I have it close by and will post it here.
Trishe is aware of all of this, as she helped me figure it out.
Mary Angel is the sister of my Great Grandfather (Richard Angel). Mary and Richard are 2 of at least 11 children of John Angel and Mary Shannahan, born in Petty Harbour NL.
Mary Angel was born about 1834.
She first married Charles Williams 1856/10/18 and they had 2 sons before Charles drowned.
Mary then married Michael Murphy from Kilbride 1866/11/27.
I have at least 4 sons and 1 daughter baptized for them. There may be more!
I think that is how it goes!
Thanks

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames