Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Puddester/Puddister
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:53 am 

Am looking to fill in gaps in the Pudd family tree. Have gathered 99% of the data and currently filling in gaps in regard to Pudd women who married. Have full list of all citations and prepared to exchange info. My work is extensive.

Post subject: Re: Puddester/Puddister
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:33 pm 

Wayne Puddester wrote:
Am looking to fill in gaps in the Pudd family tree. Have gathered 99% of the data and currently filling in gaps in regard to Pudd women who married. Have full list of all citations and prepared to exchange info. My work is extensive.

Hello Wayne: my name is Sarah Sharpe and I am researching the Puddister name as well. My grandmother was Sarah Joseph Puddister the daughter of Stephen Puddister and Margaret Mary Stamp. I have all the information on their children. However I need to confirm one piece of information and that is the father of Stephen Thomas. I think it was a Stephen as well, and I think he was the second Stephen born to that family of Stephen and Mary Hyde of Bay Bulls and Northern Bay. I would appreciate your imput. Which Puddister are you descended from? Thanks for taking my message. Always, sarah

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:12 pm 

To Sarah Sharpe... Your line does not descend from Stephen & Mary Hyde. I have reviewed family bibles and numerous data out of Conception Bay and your Puddister/Stamp line comes from another Puddester who had moved to St. John's from Conception Bay. All my data is backed up by carefully reviewed and verified citations. It is easy to have made the error since the same names were being used more than once and without doing the entire Puddester tree the error is easily made. When you research a specific single branch of Pudds you miss the weave of folks.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:05 pm 

Thank you for your response. Since you have done so much work on the Puddisters, Do you have anything on the Puddister of which you speak. I have a Thomas Puddister who married Elizabeth Power at the Basilicia? NOw there is also the family of Sir John Puddister who was my grandmother's Uncle. Anything sound familiar there? I know for a fact that my ggrandfather Stephen came from Bay Bulls as per our Family Bible. I found records of Stephen Puddister as listed as Podester, and Pudster, but he is the same Stephen. Thanks for your time. Sarah

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:19 pm 

Sarah, I'm sure you are aware of and I don't mind confirming the following: 1. Sir John was the 2nd cousin of Sarah Josephine, 2. Thomas married Elizabeth Jane (Power), 3. Thomas & Elizabeth Jane are parents of Stephen Edward. 4. Stephen Edward & Margaret Mary (Stamp) are parents of Sarah Josephine, 5. Sarah married George Martin.

I don't feel comfortable sharing information in a "public forum" but am prepared to assist you with the proper bona fides. Sarah Jo had 3 siblings Mary Ellen, Martha Jane and Richard John. When did each of these siblings die and where are they buried?? Now, could you give me the children that Sarah Josephine had along with birth dates, birth places, death dates and burial places ??? Will also need citation sources???

If you are able to give me answers to these questions, I would feel more comfortable with who I am speaking.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:35 pm 

Wayne: I am somewhat aprehensive like you are about giving information that I have verified over the internet. HOwever, I want to find as much information on my puddister family as possible. So here goes,
My sources include my parents Family Bible which I call the Sharpe Family Bible and my own Bible which I call Sarah Sharpe's Family Bible, also I have done extensive research through contact with the Basillicia and other churches in the area of St. John's, Torbay and others around the Island. Meanwhile, I have also used some resources from NGB to confirm what I have and have used some of their stuff as well. I have spend hundreds of hours at the Rooms Archives and other places too. i have been working on this material for most of my life and recently published a book called My Metis Children...A Proud Heritage which I have sent to the Labrador Metis Nation. That book has to do with my childlren;s father's side of the family and included Martins/Pardy/Walsh/Ralph and others.

So Here is the information I have regarding your request:
Stephen Thomas Puddister b. 25 Oct 1841 in Bay Bulls NL married 03 April 1883 at the Basilicia to Margaret Mary Stamp b. 25 Aug 1858 at Flatrock, daughter of Richard Stamp and Mary Fitzgerald. Thomas d. before 1920 at 10 Quidi Vidi Road. Both are buried at Mt. Carmel Cemetery in the Puddister Family Plot.

1. Vera Puddister b. abt 1898 died as a teenager burried in Puddister Plot Mt. Carmel Cemetery

2, Mary Ellen Puddister b. 12 June 1883

3. Sarah Joseph Puddister b. 30 Sept 1885 married 23 Dec 1911 at the Basilicia, d. 07 Mar 1957 burried at Mt. Carmel in her own plot with two grandchildren Ronnie Ross and Bernaadette D. Sharpe. Sarah married George Nicholls Martin b. May 1887 d. 27 June 1942 he is burried in the Anglican Cemetery on Forest Road. He served in both wars.

4. James Puddister b. 23 Aug 1887 Married Elizabeth ? in about 1917 They had three children.

5. Martha Jane Puddister b. Cats Harbour and bapitized at Cats Harbour. b. 10 Apri 1889. She married Benjamine Scott Allen who abandoned the family during WWII and she then married William Bill Hollett. She died at the Health Sciences Centre abt late 90s.

6. Mary Anne Puddister b. 20 Jan 1891 at 1 Kick Lane Married John (Jack Squatters) McCarthy.

7. Richard John Puddister b. 6 oct 1892 in Hoylestown, St. John's m. 1925 at the Basilica to Mary Elizabeth Fifield and they had one son Stanley. Uncle Dick worked longshore and at the LSPU Hall.

8. John Jack Stephen Puddister b. 1897 at Hoyles Town, Entered the first world war, then he came back and joined the Newfoundland railway, he then moved to Nova Scotia and worked there on the Railway as well. He married Ethel Cluney about 1920, Ethel was a registared Nurse. They moved to Sudbury Ontario and raised a family there. MOst of the Puddister in that area are descended from Jack. I do have a photo of him and Ethel and Gary whcih was taken on one of their holidays to Newfoundland.

The Family of Sarah Joseph Puddister & George Nicholls Martin from above:
1. Bridget Mariah Martin b. 08 Nov 1914 m. Raymond Maher in 1940 She d. 03 Jun 1994 Internment Holy Seplechure

2. Rita May Martin b. 28 April 1914 never married d. 27 Jan 1984 at her residence Kelly Brook Apartments, Empire Avenue, St. JOhn's NL. Internment Holy Seplechure

3. John Francis Martin b. 14 Sep 1915 married Beatreice Sheppard d. 15 Aug 1974 of cancer Internment Holy Seplechure.

4. James Martin b. d. 1916 Internment Puddister Plot Mt. Carmel.

5. Elizabeth Jane Martin b. 04 Nov 1917 m. Joseph Swayne of Sarnia Ontario. m. Vincent J. Ross d. Internment at the Holy Seplechure

6. Albert Martin band d. 1919 Puddister Plot Mt. Carmel

7. Ronald Michael Martin b. 10 May 1920 married Muriel Wrinkle of Sarnia Ontario. D. 11 July 1986 Served in WWII

8. Margaret Mary Martin b. 09 Aug 1921 married Robert Fisher on 14 Jul 1947 in Wisconsin, USA d. 01 Oct 1999 in Lake Havasu, Navada

9. Mary Anne Martin b. 13 Aug 1923 married Rev. Ralph Thornhill, Alabama, then married the Rev. Jimmy Pemberton of Tallassee Al

10. William Stephen Martin b. 14 Oct 1925 d. 27 Apr 1979 in Livingstone Street Fire Internment Holy Seplechure.

11. Ellen Mary Martin b. 30 Mar 1927 married Henry Joseph Anthony Sharpe 17 Feb. 1944 at the Basilica of St. JOhn the Baptist. d. 12 July 2002 at St. Patrick's Mercy Home. Henry died 3 May 1992 Both interred at the Holy Seplechure

12. William Willie Martin b. and d. 1918.

Family of Helen Martin and Henry J. A. Sharpe
Margaret b. 28 April 1944
Bernadette b. 26 October 1945 d. 31 Aug 1971
Mary Ellen b. 6 October 1946
Henry Edward b. 15 Sept 1947 22 NOv 1947
Sarah Anne Marie b. 18 Oct 1949
Paul William b. 5 Oct 1950 d. 3 Jan 1997
James Wayne b. 20 Mar 1953 d. 12 Dec. 2001
Elizabeth Anne b. 26 Dec. 1955 d. 8 Jan 1956
Thomas b. 23 June 1957 d. 23 June 1927
George Martin b. 20 May 1959
Anthony Joseph Henry b. 1 Oct 1962

Wayne I hope this will confirm the Puddister Line whcih I am researching. I really appreciate your assistance. I have as the first Puddister in my line as Stephen Thomas Puddister who married Mary Hyde. You tell me that is incorrect. I hope you can help me with the right information. But all of the Puddisters are descended from Henri of the Jersey Channel Islands. Am I right in saying that. Thanks Sarah

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:46 pm 

I will not presume to question your sources but will offer the following for your consideration which is offered sincerely for you to check and verify. I don't use GENWEB or NGB due to numerous errors on these sites.

It is easy to use the wrong Stephen for your starting point, there were many children named this.
1. Stephen Edward b. Feb 25 1855 (Bay Bulls Records) married Marg Stamp. At the birth of Marg (Stamp) & Stephen's child Margaret b. Jul 24 1884 (Basilica Records), Stephen was called Edward.
2. Stephen d. Mar 31 1912 as noted in Vital Statistics and also noted in their son's enlistment papers for WW1.
3. Stephen Edward is the son of Thomas & Elizabeth Jane (Power)(Bay Bulls Records).
4. The Vital Statistics do not show a birth or death for Vera Puddister from 1891 to 1945.

You have stated that George Martin and Sarah were buried in St. John's but my source lists them as buried in Harbour Grace, I will therefore recheck my source. Henri is the original ancestor and unless you gather every Puddester birth, marriage and death from Conception Bay, Witless Bay, Bay Bulls and St. John's and lay them all out it is easy to make errors. Isolating one Puddester line will and has confused many researchers. I drove for 8 months thru 22 US states and 7 provinces to interview families and was able to unravel the 3 distinct Puddester branches. The Puddester's of Conception Bay, of Bay Bulls and of St. John's. You can't pick one individual and hope to correctly have a correct Puddester line.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:53 pm 

Wayne something is wrong with our information. My Stephen Puddister married Margaret Mary Stamp from Flatrock, I have their marriage certificate from Holy Trinity RC Church in Torbay. Margaret Mary's Parents were Richard Stamp and Mary Fitzgerald. I have talked with many cousins in Torbay and Flatrock about this and they have given me photos of my gggrandfather. Now as per Stephen Puddister he was not born in Bay Bulls but rather at St. John's as per his birth certificate and yes, his parents are definately Yhomas James(often referred to as Jim Thomas) information from my mother, and from my family bible. Now also I remember Sarah Joseph Puddister being burried at Mt. Carmel Cemetery on 9 March 1957 she was the very first person I ever saw dead. I was called after her and her nickname was Sally just as mine is Sally. Pop George Nicholls Martin whose parents were Moses and Jane (Nicholls) Martin was born in Hr. Grace, and moved to St. John's. He married my grandmother 23 Dec. 1911 at the Basilicia. My grandmother's full name was Sarah Joseph, not Josephine, as per her birth certificate and their marriage certificate which I received from the Basilica. Meanwhile Vera Puddister was born about 1891 and died at about the age of 15 or 16 years of age which would make her death around 1906 or 07. I did see that name Marg Stamp in Bay Bulls but it is not my ggrandmother for sure. This I know from my mother and her family records.

So now I have to go back to CB and find the father of Thomas James. I just hope that the name is not as common as Stephen. Truely a mind blower! I hope this clears up the Puddister I am looking for. Please note that their name is spelled Puddister, not Puddester. Thanks Sarah.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:26 pm 

Hi Sarah; We appear to agree on the following items;

1. Stephen married Margaret Stamp.
2. Stephen and siblings were born in St. John's. This was my mistake I was working on another file and typed in Bay Bulls in my email to you in error.
3. Stephen's parents were Thomas and Elizabeth Power.
4. I was told Sarah's name Joseph was short for Josephine, I have now corrected this to agree with your records.

The name Thomas is very common in Concep. Bay. I have all the files here, with citations.

I am prepared to forward the info.
Do you use a genealogy software program??
Can you open files which could be attached to an email??

However I will not be able to send them thru this mail server.

I'm on my way to the doctor for an hour or so, you never know with doctors. I'll check my messages upon my return later this PM.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:51 pm 

Wayne: what a relief. I thought there for a moment that all my research was botched. lol.
The Puddisters in my family are bad enough. The Stamps are very confusing, everyone had a Richard and hat is a mind blower as well. And furthermore when I am researching the Lynchs omg, what a task. Although I have gone way, way back to the country or origan. You know of course the George Martin who married Sarah Joseph Puddister, well their family was from Jersey Channel Islands as well. But their name was Martineau at the outset. When I look at all of this, and I think about how much french Ancestors I have, there is no wonder they tell me I speak French in my sleep.....he,he.

Wayne I am going to go and send you an email at the address provided. Thanks Sarah

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Wayne

I would be interested in the items you feel may be in error that are posted on the NGB. We are always looking to improve the accuracy of our posted information. We post our information just as it was written on the original pages without any editing or changes and in most cases has been transcribed directly from the original pages. If you would contact me directly, I will be glad to verify information with you as I have copies of many of the original pages posted on the site. Any information that we find to be incorrectly transcribed will be changed to agree with the original document and posted back on the site. If information shows the enumerator or other original writer may have been in error, we will be glad to add this information to the page so that researchers will have the benefit of both bits of information.

Don

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:52 pm 

OK I'll contact you.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...