Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » General Discussion

Post subject: DNA Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:20 pm 

I was wondering if any of the members have gone the way of DNA testing?
I had my fathers YDNA done a few years ago. It was recently determined that it contains a marker called M222 which takes our Hynes family to Galway. (also Naill of the Nine Hostages according to some)
The costs of getting DNA testing done has gone down in price considerably of the past few years. DNA by itself is useless. You something to compare it to. I am hoping to connect with some other Newfoundland members who are interested or have already completed some DNA testing.

Michelle Hynes

Post subject: Re: DNA Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:03 pm 

Michelle, I had my DNA thru Ancestry.com and it is an autosomal test. I recently have found a 4th cousin that connects to me thru my 3rd great grandfather Jonathan Bradbury. The autosomal test is known more for connecting cousins and I have been trying to convince my nephew to take the Y test. Where did you get your fathers test done?

Linda

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:04 pm 

I had my father's YDNA done through ancestry originally. I never got any hits at all. Through some investigation and direct recommendations I transferred to http://www.familytreedna.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which also gives you access you http://www.ysearch.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Through this I have been in touch with some very knowledgeable people who advised me on some more specific marker (M222). This turned out to be a match. Now I can start doing more specific ones which will further narrow my ancestry down. This all takes time and money.
I am fairly confident that this is going to be the only way to get any information on my Hynes connection from Newfoundland to Ireland...so far to Galway. I am also interested in finding out if the various Hynes clans in NL are related.

There are so many more lineages to do as well. a "cousin" who shares a greatgrandmother (my fathers paternal grandmother) who did MtDNA, She is a direct female descendant so this gives me my paternal greatgrandparents information

My Father Hynes YDNA ->Grandfather Hynes YDNA ->GreatGrandfather Hynes YDNA
Female Cousin MtDNA -> GreatGrandmother MtDNA

Michelle

Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:51 am 

Yes, I have heard Family Tree is a good site and that is where I have asked my nephew to get his DNA done. Ancestry no longer does Y DNA which I think is a loss.
Linda

Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:24 am 

You can transfer your results to family tree DNA

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:01 pm 

Hi Michelle Hynes,

My mother was a Hynes from Change Islands; I am working on my family tree.
I have just ordered my DNA Kit from Ancstery.ca
I would be curious if we are related.

regards
Lisa

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:11 pm 

I have had DNA testing done through 23andMe. At the time I also bought a kit for my parents (as a christmas gift). The results were pretty interesting. Both sides go back to Europe with possible connections to Naill as well (of course with 3 million possible descendants it's not that impressive lol). There was also some Scandinavian lineage (I'm thinking Viking raids) and North African.
I have 300+ 2nd-distant cousins on there and have contacted a few but a connection couldn't be made at the present time. Clearly I'll have to do more work on the family tree :)

Board index » General » General Discussion