Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories

Post subject: Family Stories as an aid to tracing lost kin.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:50 am 

I think using family stories could be an interesting way to trace early relatives that lost contact with their blood kin in their early travels throughout the island of Newfoundland and further abroad.

For example there is a family myth (or possibly a true story) in my branch of the Shea family.

The Oral Tradition tells us that the Sheas arrived in NL from Ireland aboard a ship bound for the American Colonies but it was blown off course in the Hurricane of Independence in 1775. The story goes on to say that Mrs Shea gave birth to a son aboard the ship. On arrival in NL the four Shea sons soon split up and inhabited different towns among them St Johns, Pouch Cove and two other destinations on the Island.

Now the story may be a myth; or it may contain elements of truth. But what is most relevant here is: are there other Sheas who share this same story? For if there are, could it indicate that these families in fact share common roots indicated by our common stories? I have found Sheas in the United States who share this story of 4 Shea boys on a boat blown off course.

I guess it's also be true that there are classic stories which all families share, which are apocryphal, and have no foundation in truth but are just myths; but it could be interesting to share our family traditions and see what emerges.

Looking forward to hearing if any of you have to offer.

Cheers
Sharon Lewison

Post subject: Re: Family Stories as an aid to tracing lost kin.
 Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:52 pm 

bonjour.

I find family stories interesting as well. Here is a little bit of my story. Dr E.R.Seary 1976,book of family names(NL)indicates that around the middle 1870-1878,a French Capataine(Sailor-Fisherman)with the French Navy, Jean Louis Du-malin/Domalain deserted his ship droped the surname and became Louis,and later Lewis,therefore the Lewis's of Fleur-de-Lys,not so.

Not quiet right, but close;

That gentleman was Jean Louis Domalain,my mom's frandfather born sept 30th 1860 Binic France sailed to NL(Terre Neuve) as a young sailor at the age of 13,first trip on a Brig named "Georges"1873 to Pacquet White Bay,and again each summer from April month until September(fishing season for them) in 1874-75-76-77-and finally jumped ship at 5:am on the morning of Sept 11th,1878,at Pacquet. He married Marie Louise Haas at Brent's Cove July 25th 1880 at 20 years of age and She was 18.The family name of Domalain is still with us today in Newfoundland and across Canada,and some of the kids are still re-ferred to as "YOUNG LOUIE". I have plenty of documentation on this family name dating back to 1545. Dr Seary was misinformed on family tradition on both the Domalain/Louis/Lewis,especially at Fleur-de-Lys,White Bay.

John Barrett,

Board index » Genealogy » Family Stories